Menu

Any Nashville, TN folks who can advise me on kid-friendly activities for vacation?

(I just realized I accidentily posted this same thread on the curriculum board, so I've moved it to this general board.)

We used to live in nashville, but that was before parenthood. We know some fun adult activities, but what about kid activities? We're staying at the Opryland Hotel, so that has some fun stuff, but need some more ideas for outside hotel there in Nashville and surrounding area.

(Would love to find a cave if there's any near there if you know of one).

Need suggestions for

Activities?

Sites?

Restaurants?

Etc.?

Go downtown and walk around. You will find lots of cool stuff to do.

Hard Rock Cafe

Some really great mom and pop places to eat. Ask at the place where they sell the Duck Boat tickets.

Take a Duck Boat ride.

Lots of cool museums. just look online or find a brochure when you get there.

Zoo is nice.

Rainforest Cafe is at Opry Mills.

Tour the Ryman Theater (the old Grand Ol' Opry)

Walk around downtown at nght and go into the record stores.

Go downtown and walk around. You will find lots of cool stuff to do.

Hard Rock Cafe

Some really great mom and pop places to eat. Ask at the place where they sell the Duck Boat tickets.

Take a Duck Boat ride.

Lots of cool museums. just look online or find a brochure when you get there.

Zoo is nice.

Rainforest Cafe is at Opry Mills.

Tour the Ryman Theater (the old Grand Ol' Opry)

Walk around downtown at nght and go into the record stores.

Those are some good ideas.... except Opry Mills is closed due to the 2010 flood. They plan to re-open next spring. The Parthenon is good for all ages. So is the Hermitage.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but the Magic House is supposed to be amazing! It's really more of a hands-on learning center for kids. It's really cool!

I'm interested in this, but I googled and can't find any info. Do you have a link or more info?

Ooops! Sorry....this is embarrassing! I live in between 2 major cities, Nashville and St. Louis. We often go to each to see different sites. I've always heard of the Magic House and how cool it was. I was thinking it was in Nashville, but it's in St. Louis. Sorry!

Here's a promising website I did find on Nashville. I found it while I was looking for my imaginary magic house...*sheesh*:tongue_smilie:

http://alphamom.com/family-fun/activities/50-things-to-do-with-kids-in-nashville-before-they-grow-up/

Hope this helps! Sorry about that! :blush:

There are your run of the mill activities like Nashville Zoo, Adventure Science Center, Frist Center, Cheekwood, Parthenon, Nashville Sounds baseball.

But if you really want a lot of stuff to choose from, I suggest picking up a "Nashville Parent" magazine from a local Kroger when you get here (they are free and in the front). It basically tells you nearly every family oriented thing that is going on for the month.

There are your run of the mill activities like Nashville Zoo, Adventure Science Center, Frist Center, Cheekwood, Parthenon, Nashville Sounds baseball.

But if you really want a lot of stuff to choose from, I suggest picking up a "Nashville Parent" magazine from a local Kroger when you get here (they are free and in the front). It basically tells you nearly every family oriented thing that is going on for the month.

:iagree: Nashville Parent is great source of info. It is online too.

There is often live music in Centennial Park in the venings, esp on weekends. Good to combine if you're there to see to see the Parthenon.

We like the big band music on Saturday evenings!

There's a water park over the east side of town, near Opryland, I think?! It's HOT outside!

IMO the Adventure Science center is good for school age but not fabulous for preschoolers.

If you can get tickets to anything you like at the Ryman, go! Go early so you can look around and see some of the things on display. Lots of history there. We went to a concert there last summer and it was fabulous.

Historical places: Belle Meade Plantation, the Hermitage (closer to Opryland), Traveler's Rest - all good tours.

We like Downtown Franklin too, walk around, get ice cream, window shop.

They recently re-opend the old theater there.

The zoo is nice. Not too big for little kids. Nothing extraordinary, but fun.

Memership reciprocity, so inexpensive if you belong to another zoo.

Hope your trip is fun!