Menu

Any Nashville, TN folks here who can give me kid-friendly ideas for our vacation?

mhg

We used to live in nashville when I went to vandy there, but that was before parenthood. We know some fun adult activities, but what about kid activities? We're staying at the Opryland Hotel, so that has some fun stuff, but need some more ideas for outside hotel there in Nashville and surrounding area.

(Would love to find a cave if there's any near there if you know of one).

Need suggestions for

Activities?

Sites?

Restaurants?

Etc.?

(Just realized I posted this on the curriculum rather than general board.....oops)

Edited by mhg

The Nashville Zoo is good. It is shady for the most part and is big enough not to feel too crowded even if it is busy.

Percy Priest Lake (Anderson Landing) is nice if you want to go to the lake.

The Frist Center for the Visual Arts is fun depending on what you are studying. Kids 18 and under are free. I think adult tickets are around $10.

Nashville Shores is expensive but it is nice place too if your kids are into water parks.

Purity Dairy gives free tours and shows how they make ice cream. (or alteast they used to the last time we checked) and they gave free samples.

Percy Warner or Edwin Warner park is fun for hike or a picnic. (Percy Warner is where Steeplechase is held, and they have a nature center there.)

Canoeing on the Harpeth is fun if your kids are older.

Good luck, and have fun.

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky shouldn't be too far away...maybe an hour or so?

I second these, especially Diamond Caverns, which is in the Mammoth Cave system. When you turn onto the exit for Mammoth Cave, it is before you get to the actual Mammoth Cave entrance. It's on the right. It has better cave formations than Mammoth, but not as grand rooms as Mammoth. It seems to be more interesting for children in our house.

It's about 80 miles from Nashville, so if you travel 70-75, you should be there in just over an hour.

Call Mammoth before you plan on going! They can get very busy in summer and there might not be space available on tours if you don't buy your tickets in advance. Also, some eastern caves are closed this summer because of white-spot disease in bats, so call to make sure they're doing tours before you go....