Menu

If your child takes piano lessons....I'm trying to compare what we pay to others

mhg

We're about to start piano lessons.

My son will be in K this fall.

The teacher has a PhD in piano.

Her rate is $160/month per person (not including supplies/books/etc) for a 45-minute weekly lesson.

We live in the deep southeast.

I'm curious as to what others pay.

If you will, please specify

your child's age/grade_____

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child)

Region where you live______

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I am in the mid-west.

Our rates are the same for all ages.

Group piano, 1 hour once a week, beg to int level, 42.00 per month.

Private lessons are 75.00 per month for 30 minutes once a week.

Instructor has a bachelor's and is an amazing teacher!

your child's age/grade_____ - 8.5 - this is his 2nd year

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ - bachelors

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) - 30 minutes - she comes to our home

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ - 1x/week

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) - $15/lesson

Region where you live______ - Ohio

She's very reasaonablu priced.

I think you also want to consider the piano method. Ours is a traditional method. I believe Suzuki method is higher in cost. For $160/month my kids wouldn't be taking piano. Yikes! Also, my kids wouldn't last very well for a 45 minute lesson.

your child's age/grade_____ 6/first

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ I know she has a BA, but honestly not sure in what

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 30 min

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ once/week

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) $50

Region where you live______ SW Florida

I'd guess that 45 minutes is too long for many 5 year olds.

When my boys started piano at 5 y.o., we did 20 min weekly (for $10/wk each); teacher has a music degree from the New England Conservatory.

Edited by wapiti

grade: 1st through 10th

qualifications: I don't remember, it was either a bachelors or masters in music

length: 30 minute private 1x/week plus 60 minute group lesson 1x/month

cost: $75/month

Region: Pacific Northwest

A few more facts: The teacher also was qualified to teach for high school credit (for public school kids). In those cases, the private lessons were 45 or 60 min/week. The cost was also higher. She was one of the more expensive teachers in town. She was also one of the most active and involved in the music community. Her students always did recitals, adjudications, etc.

your child's age/grade_____6/2nd grade; 8/3rd grade

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________Bachelor's (Elem. Ed. w/music minor); she has been teaching piano for 10+ years.

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 30 minutes

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ once a week

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) $40

Region where you live______ Utah

We don't take lessons yet but I have looked into it.

A SAHM who plays piano at her church charges $20 per hour (very cheap!)

Then there is a couple that between them teach: piano, guitar, violin, drums, bass, and something else, they charge $79 per month 1 weekly 1/2 hr lesson.

We also are in the deep southeast, my children are 8, and 10.

The church lady lives to far away, and the proffesional couple cost to much right now.

So we won't be taking music lessons anytime soon.

age/grade: almost 8 / will be in 2nd grade (started at 5.5 yrs)

teacher's qualifications: don't know, highly recommended by family

Lesson length: 30 min.

Lesson frequency: Once a week

Monthly cost: $60

Region where you live: Midwest

your child's age/grade: 12 years old (upcoming 7th grader). He has been taking lessons with the same teacher since the middle of kindergarten.

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.): I'm not sure about a degree, but she has many decades of experience in teaching piano.

Lesson length: 30 minutes

Lesson frequency(once/week?): Once per week

Monthly cost: $65

Region where you live: NW Georgia

I live in SE Michigan.

Our piano lessons are $20/week for 30 minutes.

My two youngest are the piano students: 13 yo playing for 6 years or so, 9 yo playing for 2 years

Our teacher majored in piano and plays professionally. I would guess she has been teaching for 40+ years.

Around here, a symphony orchestra member or college music professor are the two most expensive types of teachers for most instruments. Even then, you're only going to pay $50/hour at the most.

Children are 9 and 10 years old and have taken lessons for 2 years.

Teacher has a master's degree in music with an emphasis on education.

Cost is $87 for 90 minutes every week (not including books), so about $350/month. Each child has a 45 minute lesson.

we live in southern California and there are teachers that are much more expensive.

9, 4th grade

Hmmm...I don't know. She is our neighbor and is very accomplished, has been teaching for 15+ years.

30 mins, but if the student scheduled after my son doesn't show, she'll use that extra time with him and doesn't charge me any additional.

Once a week

$15 per 30 min lesson in her home.

Northwest

I agree that 45 minutes seems way too long for K, especially for a boy sitting at a piano for all that time.

My son also will be in K and we're doing Suzuki violin. His instructor is working on her PhD (I think she'll be finished this fall) and teaches at a University.

We pay $90/month for 30 minute lessons and she comes to our house (bonus!).

I live in a fairly big city in the midwest.

Her rate is $160/month per person (not including supplies/books/etc) for a 45-minute weekly lesson.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

your child's age/grade_____ 11 / 7th

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ homeschooled senior in high school

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 30 minutes

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) $40.00 ($10 per week)

Region where you live______ Virginia

I am a professional accompanist (choirs, choral groups) and minored in piano pedagogy. I've taught off and on as students come and go. We live in Alabama, and the going rate around here is $60/month for weekly 30-min. lessons. If I were teaching more consistently (I don't advertise and just teach as interests leads students to me) I could possibly conceive of going up to $80/month.

I'm getting to teach my own child piano, and while every six months we "start" piano lessons, it's only been the last two months that she has finally gotten it and is really taking off. Every one told me I was crazy not to force piano lessons when she was six or seven, but she honestly wasn't ready to internalize the lesson and go off on her own to practice until she was 8. I didn't start lessons till I was nine, and my piano scholarship paid for 75% of my tuition at college. Every child is different and has different maturity levels to learn to play music. Make sure it is enjoyable and that your child really gets to learn music and it can we worth the investment.

your child's age/grade_____ 11/going into 6th

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ Hmm..don't know! She is highly recommended by everyone in the area as the best around, but I never looked into her educational back ground.

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 1/2 hour

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ 1x/week

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) It's $500-something 3x/year...I'm pretty sure it comes out to $22 or $23 a half hour (books and concerts are extra fees)

Region where you live______ New England

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

HTH.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

your child's age/grade__Age 11 Grade 6; and Age 9 Grade 4___

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.) Not sure! But in the space of a year our new teacher took them from sounding like average piano students, to beautiful pianists. Can't even describe the difference going from the old teacher to the new! (we got him after hearing a friend's son play, and asked who his teacher was...)

Lesson length _30 per child____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Lesson frequency(once/week?)___1___

Monthly cost $ _70_____ (per child) (the previous instuctor who wasn't nearly as good cost $80 per child per month)

Region where you live_: Central Florida_____

Just wanted to add 45 minutes sounds like a long lesson for a kindergartener. But maybe your child is less squirmy than mine were at that age. Mine both started in K also.

We just started piano lessons with our 10 and 12 year old this year. For the first year, the teacher charges $5 for a half an hour. Next year it will be $10 for a half an hour. The teacher is in her 60's and has been teaching piano since forever. I don't know if she has a degree or not. She is an amazing piano teacher. My kids love her. Oh, and we live on the Canadian Prairies.

7 yr old/3rd grade in fall

Not sure of teacher's qualifications, I never asked but knew people who used her and loved her. She's been in the area a long time giving lessons and is well-established.

30 minutes once a week.

30 dollars per lesson. She gives out a schedule a the beginning of the month detailing how much each month, it depends on how many lessons (sometimes less than one a week if a holiday or something).

We live in Northern Virginia, outside Washington DC. Things are typically expensive here and these are about standard prices here.

We're currently on summer session at my music school (University prep department), and the tuition rate is

Tuition per Session (6 weeks)

30 Minute Lessons $156

45 Minute Lessons $234

60 Minute Lessons $312

Students can also take a once a week group class and a once a week theory class included in this rate.

I don't pay for piano, since I teach my DD's teacher's daughter-it would end up being financially null :). Her teacher has degrees in Piano pedagogy and is also a Kindermusik teacher (and has been my daughter's Kindermusik teacher for Young Child), enjoys teaching beginning students, and is excellent with DD.

For a 5-6 yr old, I would be less worried about a PhD in piano and more about a teacher's experience with young children. There are big differences between teaching a beginner and teaching an advanced student, and big differences between teaching a young child and teaching an older one. Especially at the rates you're paying, I'd look for a teacher trained and experienced with ECED music pedagogy-Suzuki would be ideal for a piano teacher, because even if you're teaching using a traditional method, it's just plain a good developmental method for teaching young children 1-1 (the others are group methods and while they're applicable, it does take some adaptation to make, say, Orff, work 1-1) over one with a high degree in piano performance. The best teacher for a given student almost always (I'm tempted to say always) changes as they improve and develop (I'm talking changing here once every few years, though).

Edited by dmmetler

your child's age/grade: my older son is 13 years old and going into 8th grade/my younger son is 11 years old and going into 6th grade.

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.) She has a bachelor's degree. She might have higher. I have only seen her degree. She is registered with the piano guild association. However, my boys take an exam at the end of the year. The person, who listens and grades to my sons' playing, is usually a PhD teacher.

Lesson length 30 minutes (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Lesson frequency(once/week?) once a week

Monthly cost $ 10 a week per child which is about $40 a month.

Region where you live I live in North Eastern part of the US. However, my teacher's rate is low because she sees this as a ministry not for profit. She is also 84 years old. She has been teaching for several years to say the least.

I know someone in my church who charges $45 a class per week. That price seems to be the average rate where I live. So, you are paying the going rate for my area. I wonder what it is in your area.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

your child's age/grade_____ 6/1st

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________Master's Degree - she has been teaching for 25 years

Lesson length _30____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) $60 :001_smile::001_smile: - I am very fortunate as I barter my services. I tutor her son in reading and she teaches my son piano. Win-win on both ends

Region where you live______ Deep South (metro ATL)

I need to add that before I found this teacher, I was paying $85/month for 30 minutes/once a week with a teacher that also had a Master's degree. DS's new teacher is also a homeschool mom and is all about teaching the children. DS loves her and she is an outstanding teacher.

However, they both take voice lessons. And I'd say you're getting off easy.

Your child's age/grade -- Son, 13. Daughter, 16.

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.) -- Son's teacher advertises himself as "Julliard trained," but I've never asked if he graduated. Daughter's teacher has a degree from the New England Conservatory of Music and additional training specifically in voice teaching.

Lesson length-- Son's lessons are 45 minutes long. Daughter's are one hour.

Lesson frequency(once/week?) -- One per week for each of them.

Monthly cost $ -- We pay per lesson, but it works out to about $220 for my son and $210 for my daughter.

Region where you live -- Central Florida

Teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.): Conservatory-trained, 70 years experience teaching piano (yes, really). Very active with local piano guilds and university piano faculty.

Lesson length 30 minutes (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 60 minutes

Lesson frequency(once/week?) Year-round with some breaks, once a week

Monthly cost We have a very sweet bartering arrangement. When she truly retires, I'm figuring at $160-200/month to get an equivalent teacher. She stopped taking new students several years ago, and is down to just two afternoons a week.

your child's age/grade 8yrs, 3rd grade

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.) Bachelors in Education

Lesson length 30min (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Lesson frequency(once/week?) 1x per week

Monthly cost $ 48.00 (per child)- 12.00 per lesson, so 60.00 on a month with 5 Wednesdays. ;)

Region where you live Northeast

your child's age/grade

ds17 (sr.)

ds15 (soph.)

dd11 (6th)

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)

BA in music education. We have had teachers with "higher" credentials, but they did not work as well for my children. Our current teacher is fabulous because he has a gift of being able to relate to children of all ages. 2 of my kids really enjoy taking piano. My middle one, who really doesn't like music much, tolerates it because he likes his teacher so much and because his teacher works hard to give him material that works for him.

Lesson length

30 minutes. Since my children are not interested in being concert pianists, this is the right amount of time. I would definitely not go longer for a child in the primary grades.

Lesson frequency

weekly

Monthly cost

$30 per half hour, so about $120 per month if only 4 weeks in a month AND he comes to our house.

Region where you live

Suburban midwest - near Chicago

your child's age/grade_____ Dd 13-entering 8th, Ds 9-entering 4th

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ BA from Ohio State

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 30 minutes (includes theory)

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ 1 x wk

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) $20 per 1/2 hr per child

Region where you live______ NE GA (rural area)

Our teacher has been teaching violin & piano for 20 years. She also teaches at 2 local colleges and organizes a community orchestra that performs twice per year. Dd also takes violin and performs in the orchestra. Most months I pay $240 for both kids. (That's 1 1/2 hrs per week of her time.) During the months where there is a 5th day, I pay $300. Let me also remind you that there will be expenses over and above the lesson costs. Books are not cheap! I spent $80 the first time I went to purchase piano & violin books!! It's not been that bad since, but whenever they finish books I have to buy more and generally they cost $5-7 each. Our teacher is adamant about including theory along with the lessons and boy, do I see the fruit from that. Also, if they are any festivals or other competitions, there will be costs associated with that.

HTH,

Jennifer

That is the going rate around here. My best advice would be to pay for a practice lesson to see how the teacher works with your child. In the younger years, I also found it helpful to be able to sit in on the lesson both to see how things were going, but also to support dd at home.

Your rates are seem along the lines of the going rates in our area (CA).

To a great extent, you get what you pay for. I have a lot of friends who have offered to give my children lessons, but, having taken from friends who gave lessons and piano teachers as I was growing up, I know there is great value in having professional teachers who charge for their expertise.

There is probably a skew to cheaper rates on this forum because homeschoolers tend to be cheaper and just don't get lessons if they are too expensive.

Emily

For a 5-6 yr old, I would be less worried about a PhD in piano and more about a teacher's experience with young children. There are big differences between teaching a beginner and teaching an advanced student, and big differences between teaching a young child and teaching an older one.

:iagree:

Unless you are classically trained and would like the same for them, and plan to strongly encourage them down the road of competitions and concerts, I would focus more on helping them enjoy lessons and practice in general for the first year and then switch if you see some real talent developing and know if the child is motivated to practice on their own--especially the finger exercises.

We pay $120 per month for a once weekly, hour long lesson. However, I expect our rates may go up this fall because other, newer, students in the studio are already paying about $20 per half hour. This does not include books or recital fees.

My son is 13 now and has been taking lessons with this teacher since he was 8.

I believe our teacher has a master's, but not a PhD. She still takes lessons, herself, from various university professors. I don't know if she's working on another degree, or not. She has been teaching for many years, as well.

I live in central Kentucky.

your child's age/grade : 5(K) and 6(1st) ... and in Sept we'll add our 4(PK)

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.): bachelors in English, but started in the music dept of our local university and came highly rec'd by the dean of music. She taught his son.

Lesson length: 30 minutes

Lesson frequency(once/week?): once a week

Monthly cost: $ 40 (per child) (approx ... $10 a week and she comes to the house)

Region where you live: Central Ohio

your child's age/grade_____ 13, 10, and 8. She thinks the 5 yr old is too young to take lessons

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ BA

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 30 min in her home

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ weekly

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) 15/child

Region where you live______ midwest

I had a cheaper piano teacher last year but my kids disliked the lessons. now, they play every day and I never have to remind them to practice - they just enjoy playing. That is all because this teacher lets them work on fun pieces.

We pay $120 per month for a once weekly, hour long lesson. However, I expect our rates may go up this fall because other, newer, students in the studio are already paying about $20 per half hour. This does not include books or recital fees.

Is this for two students? Can't figure out how $20 per half hour would be going up if you're paying $120, unless it's for two students...

Just wondering, since I'm comparing too. Thanks!

I teach piano in Ga, and hold a bachelor's degree in piano performance.

I charge $50 an hour, so tuition for weekly thirty minute lessons is $100, 45 minute is $175 and 1 hour is $200.

That rate is competitive for where we live, I know of several teachers that charge $100 for weekly 30 minute lessons,and some that charge $120.

It depends on where you live, and if you expect a professional teacher or someone to show your child how to play some songs. Decided your goals, but you get what you pay for!

I teach 12 students, and maintain a waiting list, so I have had no problem attracting students with my combination of tuition, credentials, and results. HTH!

Age 9/4th Grade

Bachelor's Degree & National Piano Teacher Certification

30 minutes

1x/week

It is $15/lesson. She went up 2 years ago- used to be $12/lesson. We pay per semester.

We are in NC. :)

your child's age/grade_3 children in lessons: Almost 1st grade 6 yo, Almost 4th grade 9 yo, almost 5th grade 10 yo

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.) MS in Music and has played around the world.

Lesson length (30 minutes, 45, 60?):30m/each for older, 15m/younger. 75 minutes for all three students combined

Lesson frequency(once/week?) once/week

Monthly cost $ 60/older child, $30 for my 6 yo because her lesson is shorter. We pay $150 total which is discounted for combining their lessons and having 3 kids in lessons.

Region where you live: Midwest

I will say that this is a LOT of money for us. Our violin lessons are far less expensive, but this is the going rate here.

your child's age/grade_13/8th grade

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)_I'm not exactly sure about education, but she is phenomenal, older, and has been the state music teacher assoc president in the past. We love her and the kids have both done well in competitions.

Lesson length _45 (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Lesson frequency(once/week?)_1

Monthly cost $ _75 (per child) or $60 for 30 minute lesson

Region where you live__Louisiana

My kids both started lessons in 3rd grade as that was recommended to us by several music teachers and the first 3 years we did 30 minute lessons until the teacher said it was time to bump it up to 45 minutes.

We don't do piano lessons anymore since our financial situation changed, but a year or so ago, Sarah used to take lessons.

your child's age/grade - 11yo

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.) - Bachelor's

Lesson length - 30 minutes (30 minutes, 45, 60?)

Lesson frequency(once/week?) - 1xweek

Monthly cost - $ 80 (per child)

Region where you live - Arizona

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Older son: 14 years old, Concert pianist with MS in performance and pedagogy, 60 minutes lessons once a week. $55 per lesson ($220-275 per month), Midwest. NOTE: He's quite advanced in his ability.

Younger son: 10 years old, unsure of qual. (don't recall), 30 min lessons once a week, $24/lesson ($96-120/month), Midwest.

We've looked around recently for a teacher, and these rates are pretty standard in our part of Michigan.

your child's age/grade_____ Age 8/3rd

teacher's qualifications (degree, etc.)________ Masters

Lesson length _____ (30 minutes, 45, 60?) 30 min

Lesson frequency(once/week?)______ once/week

Monthly cost $ ______ (per child) $95 with no make-ups for sickness/vacation (boo! :glare:)

Region where you live______ SW WA

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

We're taking the summer off from formal lessons. Dd8 practices 30 min/day from her Les Miserables music book this summer. Back to traditional music books in the fall with her teacher.