Menu

Scheduling a 7th grader

noashmam

My son is getting more independent of which I am very glad! Last year, I wrote down his assignments in a Student Planner. I did this every Sunday. He liked seeing his school work laid out for the week and even sometimes worked ahead so he could finish early. This year, I would like to give him the opportunity to schedule out his assignments to help him learn how to budget his time (which he is NOT very good at right now). I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Last year, when I wrote the assignments in his planner each week, I had it in my head what needed to be done next. This time, I am thinking I will need to have lesson plans written first, that I could then somehow transfer to a weekly sheet and give to him (so that he can schedule his assignments for the week). Before I try to reinvent the wheel, does anyone have a link or suggestions to help? Pictures of your system or blog describing how it is done??

Thank you,

Kim

My way of handling that sort of in-between phase has been to give some things by the day and some assignments by the week. So...

Monday, Wed, Fri might each have a checkbox for "literature" -- and down below, in a box that spans the whole week, it says, "• read volume 3 (chap. 5-19) of Pride and Prejudice • discuss comprehension questions • read the Literary Lesson ('Characterization') from Unit 1, Lesson 2 • choose 1 writing exercise from Unit 1, Lesson 1 and write a rough draft of your paper"... That way he knew there was time in his schedule on M/W/F for literature (and on heavy reading weeks, some of that was usually done at bedtime), but it also gave him the chance to decide how to break that up. Geometry was the same way. He knew from his syllabus what needed to be completed during any given week, but how to divide that from day to day was up to him.

Here's a sample week from ds' 7th grade assignment book. The lines at the bottom are for writing in his assignments from classes (like Greek, Latin, Logic), adding in field trips we've taken, extra books he's read, etc.

184787_10150113420660878_688000877_6628024_4140117_n.jpg

My way of handling that sort of in-between phase has been to give some things by the day and some assignments by the week. So...

Monday, Wed, Fri might each have a checkbox for "literature" -- and down below, in a box that spans the whole week, it says, "• read volume 3 (chap. 5-19) of Pride and Prejudice • discuss comprehension questions • read the Literary Lesson ('Characterization') from Unit 1, Lesson 2 • choose 1 writing exercise from Unit 1, Lesson 1 and write a rough draft of your paper"... That way he knew there was time in his schedule on M/W/F for literature (and on heavy reading weeks, some of that was usually done at bedtime), but it also gave him the chance to decide how to break that up. Geometry was the same way. He knew from his syllabus what needed to be completed during any given week, but how to divide that from day to day was up to him.

Here's a sample week from ds' 7th grade assignment book. The lines at the bottom are for writing in his assignments from classes (like Greek, Latin, Logic), adding in field trips we've taken, extra books he's read, etc.

184787_10150113420660878_688000877_6628024_4140117_n.jpg

Thank you. Did you make this in Word? I really like it! I especially like the suggestion to give him some things by day and some by week.

Thank you. Did you make this in Word? I really like it! I especially like the suggestion to give him some things by day and some by week.

Yes, it's just Word. :) If you (anyone) want a copy of the blank template, PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send it. You're welcome to fiddle with it any way you like to try to make it work for you. :)

My son is getting more independent of which I am very glad! Last year, I wrote down his assignments in a Student Planner. I did this every Sunday. He liked seeing his school work laid out for the week and even sometimes worked ahead so he could finish early. This year, I would like to give him the opportunity to schedule out his assignments to help him learn how to budget his time (which he is NOT very good at right now). I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Last year, when I wrote the assignments in his planner each week, I had it in my head what needed to be done next. This time, I am thinking I will need to have lesson plans written first, that I could then somehow transfer to a weekly sheet and give to him (so that he can schedule his assignments for the week). Before I try to reinvent the wheel, does anyone have a link or suggestions to help? Pictures of your system or blog describing how it is done??

Thank you,

Kim

I am in the same boat with my rising 7th grader. What I am doing is I'm making a syllabus of sorts for each subject and then there are some assignments that he has to complete on his own with certain due dates, things like projects and papers. I am hoping this will gradually get him learning how to manage assignments on his own.