Menu

Question For Writers

I've decided to get back into writing.

I took a two year break. There were a myriad of reasons for it, some of which I'm still sorting through. Part of it is the physical challenges, typing one handed. I've had ppl suggest a voice program, but honestly, talking to myself just doesn't work. The sound of my voice just ruins my ability to lose myself in what I'm doing, if that makes any sense.

A lot of my work is on my old tower, but I do have hard copies of some things, thanks to SpecialMama suggesting a binder system to track my work.

I'm reading through some of it, and blown away. What a load of carp! Seriously, I thought this stuff was worthy of submission, and reading it now I'm appalled. What was I thinking?!

So now, I'm doubting myself, big time. If I thought this stuff was good enough to submit, how on Earth am I ever going to know when yes, this IS worth while? Do I just keep plugging away, and if I ever get published, then go, ok, that was worth while? Do I give myself a time line and if nothing happens, give it up as a lost cause?

I thought I was good then. Now, I see all the flaws. How will I ever really know? Will I?

Frankly, I'm nervous. I thought I had some small talent. Friends have always been supportive, even excited about my writing...and I'm talking friends that I trust to be brutally honest and tell me when something is pig dung. Now...I just don't know. I'm scared to find out that no, my writing will never be worthy...

How do other writers deal with these feelings? Or am I the only one insecure enough to feel this way? :lol:

Count it as excellent that you are always improving! Reading your work out loud helps a lot of the flaws stand out better to your own ears, and a SOLID, skilled writing group is a great resource (even an online one). There is also a large market for editors for a reason, lol. A good editor can guide you on many aspects of your manuscripts. (Full disclosure, I am a freelance editor, so I know the difference between what I see the first time where much of the appeal is potential, and the finished work.)

I've read about famous authors who were very disappointed when they'd go back and read their earlier works (sometimes works that became classics). I think a good writer will improve all his life and will often think that his earlier works weren't very good.

You'll have to bite the bullet at some point and submit your work. Otherwise, you'll allow perfectionist tendencies to prevent you from ever being published.

I know the feeling. ;) When you write it, it seems brilliant to you, but when you get back to it after some months or years, you are often overwhelmed by a realization that it was a bunch of juvenile nonsense.

It is, in a way, both: you matured so you no longer see the work with the same eyes, but on the other hand, most of your readers will not have that dissonance as they will only get to experience the work once. It is an awful feeling when it happens to you as a reader too - you know how some works you LOVE when you are younger, romanticize in your mind, only to reread them when you older and figure out that they are entirely different works than what you had remembered? I had many painful discoveries that I had overestimated many works in my youth, and came to consider them mediocre when I reread them with new eyes.

But sometimes, the opposite happens too. That is usually when you have a good work in front of you, which "grows" with you, rather than you "growing out" of it. It is, in a way, also one of the personal measures of brilliance, but I find very few works to be up to that standard for me... very, very few. The majority of supposedly good writing available out there is mediocre, if not plain bad. And if it clicks with you in the right time and the right phase of your life, it can still be wonderful.

When I reread things I had written in the past and get that distant liking feeling, as though not recognizing my own work, seeing it with different eyes but liking it, then I know it has a potential to grow at least with some people. If I notice that I had clearly grown out of it meanwhile, I usually no longer consider it, at least not without drastic adaptations. I think putting a work to "chill" for several months or years is a great thing exactly because of this, it allows you to take that step away. Even if it is a small step away, you need it. You also need it for translations or for theoretical work, let alone for your own creative work.

Most of the surprises are negative ones, and c'est la vie, nothing to do about it. But in order to find out that 5-10% of brilliance, you do have to write 90-95% of juvenile and quite hopeless nonsense too, and retain the ability to laugh at it afterward. Just continue writing and continue putting it away and coming back to it. Most people need a lot of TIME to mature to the point of genuinely good writing. You may simply notbe ready yet.

On the other hand, do not let perfectionism accumulate either. At some point you will just have to stop and say, okay, it is good enough now - but whenever you reach that moment, it is never a moment of total security with most people, but always a kind of gambling. The key is to keep a healthy dose of skepticism, a healthy dose of not taking life too seriously, and a healthy dose of cynicism as a sort of emotional protection. :tongue_smilie:

I know the feeling. ;) When you write it, it seems brilliant to you, but when you get back to it after some months or years, you are often overwhelmed by a realization that it was a bunch of juvenile nonsense.

It is, in a way, both: you matured so you no longer see the work with the same eyes, but on the other hand, most of your readers will not have that dissonance as they will only get to experience the work once. It is an awful feeling when it happens to you as a reader too - you know how some works you LOVE when you are younger, romanticize in your mind, only to reread them when you older and figure out that they are entirely different works than what you had remembered? I had many painful discoveries that I had overestimated many works in my youth, and came to consider them mediocre when I reread them with new eyes.

But sometimes, the opposite happens too. That is usually when you have a good work in front of you, which "grows" with you, rather than you "growing out" of it. It is, in a way, also one of the personal measures of brilliance, but I find very few works to be up to that standard for me... very, very few. The majority of supposedly good writing available out there is mediocre, if not plain bad. And if it clicks with you in the right time and the right phase of your life, it can still be wonderful.

When I reread things I had written in the past and get that distant liking feeling, as though not recognizing my own work, seeing it with different eyes but liking it, then I know it has a potential to grow at least with some people. If I notice that I had clearly grown out of it meanwhile, I usually no longer consider it, at least not without drastic adaptations. I think putting a work to "chill" for several months or years is a great thing exactly because of this, it allows you to take that step away. Even if it is a small step away, you need it. You also need it for translations or for theoretical work, let alone for your own creative work.

Most of the surprises are negative ones, and c'est la vie, nothing to do about it. But in order to find out that 5-10% of brilliance, you do have to write 90-95% of juvenile and quite hopeless nonsense too, and retain the ability to laugh at it afterward. Just continue writing and continue putting it away and coming back to it. Most people need a lot of TIME to mature to the point of genuinely good writing. You may simply notbe ready yet.

On the other hand, do not let perfectionism accumulate either. At some point you will just have to stop and say, okay, it is good enough now - but whenever you reach that moment, it is never a moment of total security with most people, but always a kind of gambling. The key is to keep a healthy dose of skepticism, a healthy dose of not taking life too seriously, and a healthy dose of cynicism as a sort of emotional protection. :tongue_smilie:

Plus, you DID love the "juvenile" work when you were juvenile, so it definitely has its place as a successful work, just for a younger/different audience.

This is precisely why I let everything sit for at least 3-6 months after I've finished the rough draft. Going back I can read with fresh eyes.

What I've noticed is there are some diamonds in the load of carp. I've gotten to the point I can recognize bad when I'm writing it, but....sometimes you just need to get the words out. Sometimes you'll capture the right essence for a scene and you may not realize it until you re-read. Sometimes you have the wrong words, but the right attitude.

My family just arrived, must go. No you are not alone. This is why no one publishes first drafts. :lol:

What I've noticed is there are some diamonds in the load of carp. I've gotten to the point I can recognize bad when I'm writing it, but....sometimes you just need to get the words out. Sometimes you'll capture the right essence for a scene and you may not realize it until you re-read. Sometimes you have the wrong words, but the right attitude.

I'm def noticing that in my fiction writing. The articles I wrote just seem...forced...somehow. I know what I was going for, but rereading it, it just doesn't work.

I should probably stick to working on fiction. My reason for writing articles was to attempt to build some sort of credibility. Idea being, get something, ANYTHING published, and you'll be taken more seriously than having a blank portfolio.

Meh.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully, something will :lol:

What do you write?

Doubt is a wasted energy when it comes to this. I'm pretty sure we have all encountered horrific (yet published) writing; some of us have maybe found handwritten (otherwise unpublished) treasures in the old notebooks of elderly relatives. 'Submission-worthy" is subjective, and I've read enough bad books and essays to know this as fact LOL. It's like photography -- not only the good stuff gets printed, and not all of the good stuff even gets shown/submitted. Summing up: you can submit crap, and still get (it) published. That fear alone isn't grounds for giving up this particular desire/dream/goal. I like what Ester Maria posted, too, about being overly familiar with a work versus seeing it for the first time. It's like cooking for friends -- maybe I ran out of bay leaves and my standard dish isn't as up to par as I'd like it to be, but my guests are still licking the plates because to their unfamiliar palatte the dish is still great.

Timeline. Read biographies of popular, published writers. Many were older when they found recognition for their works LOL. If you're not keeping yourself or your family in poverty by writing (that is, you've given up a paying job to stay home to write the next great American novel), then why bother setting a timeline? As most hobbies and passions go, you may find yourself on a roller coaster of time able to be vested (and desire to be vested) -- sometimes up, sometimes down, sometimes more, sometimes less. Go with the flow.

Friends. I love my friends dearly. I love my family dearly. I trust them all to be brutally honest with me, and yet - their honesty is only helpful relative to their area of expertise. I have a friend. A "mom-with-a-camera" (MWAC) who takes nice shots on her pricey camera, but they're not professional or even amateur level. They're MWAC-level. Yet she gets accolades galore because to our friends, her skills truly ARE great. It's just a frame of reference though, and the reference is a bunch of other moms who also have no real training in photography or art. This mom learned that the hard way, and it was sad. Having her friends evaluate her skill level is relative to their own training (or lack thereof) in the media. Your friends may adore your writing, but what are they comparing it to? What training do they have know quality writing (other than taste and interest)? Not to say everyone has to be an expert in writing to judge it, but if you want constructive feedback that will help you grow as an artist/writer - it's imperative you find that feedback from mentors or others in the field.

Worthy-ness. (Is that "worthiness"?) Totally subjective. Stop judging your work from that perspective, you'll only drive yourself crazy and -to be honest- it'll affect your work. Working from an insecurity always shows itself in an artist's work. You're creating art, written art. You have to let go and fully immerse yourself in the process and become totally vulnerable to the piece if you expect it -or yourself- to reach the expectations you (seem to) have of it/yourself. Determine your audience, and write for them; don't slow yourself down with speed bumps of worrying about worthy-ness of your work.

Realize, too, there are different types and styles and formats for writing. Maybe you're not meant to write poetry, but you'll do fabulously with plays; perhaps you're a short-novelist, or essay-writer, or ... heck ... even a blogger (the beauty there is self-publishing LOL, and adding the skill of self-promotion to your to-be list).

Quit with the doubt, and just write. It can really be as simple as that!

Good luck with your journey.

Thanks ek.

Part of the issue is I've changed dramatically over the last 2-3 yrs. What genres I was once writing for, I'm no longer the slightest bit interested, so in a sense, I'm trying to find a different voice.

Better to write and fail than not even try. That's basically what I'm convincing myself of :lol:

TIME is the best editor.

Seriously!

It happens to everyone. When you first writing something, it seems absolutely brilliant. A month later it's dreck. Don't worry--it's normal.

First, fix what you find.

Second, you must, Must, MUST find a trusted critique partner--or two! Even the most skilled of writers needs an objective opinion from someone who is trained. Friends are great, but they may not know the conventions of your genre or what agents/editors are looking for/avoiding these days. A good crit partner will not only be honest about your work, but about what you can do to make your piece industry ready.

I met my crit buds online and they are now awesome friends as well.

Third, study the craft. If you can, attend conferences. If not, read craft books until they're dog-eared and falling apart. Take notes. Apply what you learn to your work.

Fourth, READ! Read everything you can get your hands on in your genre. When you get to know what published works are out there, you can pick up what's not working in your own manuscript.

Fifth--or maybe this should be first--join a writers' organization. There are a gazillion out there. I didn't get serious until I landed in the right group, and from there I found SO many resources to help me on my journey. Generally, writers are a pretty friendly bunch and love to help one another!

TIME is the best editor.

Seriously!

It happens to everyone. When you first writing something, it seems absolutely brilliant. A month later it's dreck. Don't worry--it's normal.

First, fix what you find.

Second, you must, Must, MUST find a trusted critique partner--or two! Even the most skilled of writers needs an objective opinion from someone who is trained. Friends are great, but they may not know the conventions of your genre or what agents/editors are looking for/avoiding these days. A good crit partner will not only be honest about your work, but about what you can do to make your piece industry ready.

I met my crit buds online and they are now awesome friends as well.

Third, study the craft. If you can, attend conferences. If not, read craft books until they're dog-eared and falling apart. Take notes. Apply what you learn to your work.

Fourth, READ! Read everything you can get your hands on in your genre. When you get to know what published works are out there, you can pick up what's not working in your own manuscript.

Fifth--or maybe this should be first--join a writers' organization. There are a gazillion out there. I didn't get serious until I landed in the right group, and from there I found SO many resources to help me on my journey. Generally, writers are a pretty friendly bunch and love to help one another!

SpecialMama is my editor. Somebody whose had actual education in editing needed to take me in hand, and low and behold, there she was! :D How did you go about finding someone you could trust online?

I'm a bit leery of some writing groups, and organizations. For one, I have heard horror stories of someone stealing another writer's work and passing it off as their own. Two, membership tends to be $$, and conferences are more $$$. B/c of RSD, I'm really reluctant to plunk down $100+ for a conference I may or may not end up being able to attend...not to mention, I'd likely have to take along a 'wing man' to guard my right side against being bumped, etc, the way I have to when out in public at any time, which doubles my cost...not going to make someone else pay to go along w/me!

Any suggestions for books on writing? There's so many out there, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I read tonnes. I'm in the midst of switching genres at the moment, which is part of the challenge, but I know I need to at least get in the habit of writing daily, rather than putting it off, waiting to 'know'. I'm hoping that writing, writing, and more writing will help me figure out where I fit, rather than just sitting around and contemplating it :lol:

SpecialMama is my editor. Somebody whose had actual education in editing needed to take me in hand, and low and behold, there she was! :D How did you go about finding someone you could trust online?

I'm a bit leery of some writing groups, and organizations. For one, I have heard horror stories of someone stealing another writer's work and passing it off as their own. Two, membership tends to be $$, and conferences are more $$$. B/c of RSD, I'm really reluctant to plunk down $100+ for a conference I may or may not end up being able to attend...not to mention, I'd likely have to take along a 'wing man' to guard my right side against being bumped, etc, the way I have to when out in public at any time, which doubles my cost...not going to make someone else pay to go along w/me!

Any suggestions for books on writing? There's so many out there, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I read tonnes. I'm in the midst of switching genres at the moment, which is part of the challenge, but I know I need to at least get in the habit of writing daily, rather than putting it off, waiting to 'know'. I'm hoping that writing, writing, and more writing will help me figure out where I fit, rather than just sitting around and contemplating it :lol:

Elements of Fiction Writing is a great series on writing technique. Do you write short stories? Those can be easily submitted for publication or prices or conference scholarships, and then there are online groups of people who have also received those awards or been published in those places, where everyone is of known quality, or you can meet people at conferences. What genre are you writing in currently?

Elements of Fiction Writing is a great series on writing technique. Do you write short stories? Those can be easily submitted for publication or prices or conference scholarships, and then there are online groups of people who have also received those awards or been published in those places, where everyone is of known quality, or you can meet people at conferences. What genre are you writing in currently?

Genre. Ick. I'm in the midst of changing. I write some mystery/suspense, but the one I'm currently working on is...eek...some would probably call it women's fiction/literature? Character driven, not plot driven, if that makes any sense. About the interactions of the ppl within, rather than outside influences. Ppl acting, rather than reacting.

I used to be into horror/supernatural stuff, but my faith has changed over the last few yrs, and I'm just not comfortable with it anymore. At the same time, I don't know that I consider myself a 'Christian' author either. I'm just writing and seeing where I get led.

I have been writing short stories, but its not my preference or goal. More about entering some contests here and there. I found it a positive experience to be able to announce, "FINISHED!" as opposed to going for what seemed like forever, and end up losing steam or life cropped up, etc.

I have MANY favorites when it comes to writing books:

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass is probably the most helpful.

Fiction Writing for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson

Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell

Write Away by Elizabeth George

Those are just a few of my top ones!

Guess I didn't really worry about the stealing thing and whatnot because I joined a Christian organization (ACFW) and got to know people through the forum. I met one crit bud through the forum there, and one partner (also a member of ACFW) I met through blogging.

Yes, conferences are super expensive, which is why I'm not going this year. BUT, that's the single best way to get in front of editors and agents, who might not otherwise accept unsolicited manuscripts for review.

I have MANY favorites when it comes to writing books:

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass is probably the most helpful.

Fiction Writing for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson

Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell

Write Away by Elizabeth George

Those are just a few of my top ones!

Guess I didn't really worry about the stealing thing and whatnot because I joined a Christian organization (ACFW) and got to know people through the forum. I met one crit bud through the forum there, and one partner (also a member of ACFW) I met through blogging.

Yes, conferences are super expensive, which is why I'm not going this year. BUT, that's the single best way to get in front of editors and agents, who might not otherwise accept unsolicited manuscripts for review.

Thanks. I guess I'll see what I can find for Canadian writers :D The conference I was looking into didn't seem to have other editors or agents there, its put on by one Christian publication and only seems to have them represented...and seminars on blogging, script writing, and 2 others that just don't do a thing for me. If I'm going to spend that much $$, I want to get something out of it.

Also, I wouldn't give up on writing articles. It's a much quicker, easier way to start building your platform.

I'm less than thrilled with some of my earlier work, which went through several readings by friends, families, and editors before it was published. It's the nature of the beast.

Best of luck.

Laura

Thanks. I guess I'll see what I can find for Canadian writers :D The conference I was looking into didn't seem to have other editors or agents there, its put on by one Christian publication and only seems to have them represented...and seminars on blogging, script writing, and 2 others that just don't do a thing for me. If I'm going to spend that much $$, I want to get something out of it.

Definitely research the conferences before you go! It's way too much to spend to not get out of it what you need :)