Menu

mathematical logic?

This is probably (yet another) dumb question, because I don't really know what I'm looking for - or perhaps even what I'm talking about, for that matter :tongue_smilie: - but are there any resources pertaining to mathematical logic for middle-school-aged kids, outside of the usual math curricula? Or perhaps someone can recommend a unit on such topic contained within a math book?

I already have the '73 Doliciani prealgebra on order, in part for its unit on set theory, and I have the little unit on logic and sets from grade 7 MEP. I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there. When I look on amazon, everything about "mathematical logic" appears to be for much older students, using much more advanced math. There's probably a good reason for that :lol:, but I've been thinking that my dd may understand basic logic principles better if I present them first in some sort of visual mathematical form before a more "verbal" form.

I really don't know where I'm going with this - this is all based on something lurking deep down in my intuition. So if anyone has any thoughts, including whether I'm barking up the wrong tree (quite likely! ;)), feel free to share! (e.g., "that old bat ought to stick with her Logic Liftoff and be done with it, for pete's sake!") I'm not even sure what grade level I'm talking about - it would depend on what types of resources are out there - but probably 6th. (6th is probably going to be dd's year of prealgebra, followed by algebra in 7th, though I'm not sure that's even relevant to what I have in mind. not that I know what I have in mind :lol:)

ETA: hunting around some, I came across some old Myrtle posts about a book called First Course in Mathematical Logic by Suppes. If anyone has used this, please chime in (especially re: at what grade level it might be accessible)

ETA, again: in the hope of making my aim more clear, my purpose has less to do with providing a foundation for math, though surely that can't hurt; however, it has much more to do with laying groundwork for writing in the rhetoric stage later on, so maybe I'll end up having to wait until then. I have been reflecting on the fact that once I realized (as an adult) that the type of writing I was doing (briefs) was akin to a mathematical proof, the writing became a snap. The precision of, and facility with, language improved dramatically after I figured that out. The writing all flowed from the logic. Maybe it wasn't that simple, but that's how my aging brain remembers it.

A separate, random question: while I'm reading Myrtle's old posts, I see she was using an Algebra I by Frank Allen. Does anyone have comments on that text?

Edited by wapiti

It was a year ago, and DS did most of it on his own (and only parts - not the whole thing), so I'm not the perfect person to respond, but it wasn't too bad... Good content, a little dry, a little long, but well organized and (dare I say it?) logical. LOL

I'd like to go back to it... we were doing it at the same time as Geometry, and Geometry was more fun... so it frequently got bumped to the end of the list.

We used the Suppes book a bit too. My problem is that, to my knowledge, there is no answer key and I have no training in logic. I'm also not so mathematically inclined. So, I could not check ds answers beyond my own opinion and that doesn't cut it.

If you are good at mathematical logic, they are good books. I'm just not smart enough in the subject to go through it w/my kids. :sad:

Denise