Menu

I HATE poison ivy!!!

My husband used to be in the woods a lot, and he got poison ivy quite frequently. He would shower with cold water to wash the juices off and then use a topical cream like IVAREST.

But one rash, it would not go away. It got worse and creeped up his arms. He'd had enough so he tried some bleach. He simply poured bleach down his arms (an easy part of the body to do that to) and washed his arms off after a couple of minutes.

He said he noticed the difference by the end of the day.

I would caution to use it wisely, of course.

Interestingly, once his parents got pool (that they used chlorine in) he never got another poison ivy rash. He would regularly take a dip after working out in the woods, and he thinks it washed all the juices off and the chlorine somehow kept it all at bay.

It's hard to wash off all the oil but that is what it takes. Tecnu works well but is expensive. Fels-Naptha soap works well too.

The "make your own laundry soap" thread intrugued me because then I'd be washing all the clothes in Fels-Naptha, thus getting rid of the poison ivy!

I've heard bleach helps too, possibly anything that really dries the skin out because both those soaps do too.

Dh tried a homeopathic remedy a few years back but still got it badly every summer. Lately, he's started to just stay away from the areas of our yard that have it. Leaves them to me :001_smile:.

I may resort to something like bleach. I tried rubbing alcohol earlier to try to dry up the oils.

Last year we spent a fortune on exfoliants and ointments, and I don't think they helped much. I may just have to live with it until it runs its course.

So - next question: How do I get rid of the stuff? There is a well-established vine growing up a tree right next to where I would like to plant some gardens. I don't want to use herbicide in this area. What are my options?

We have it all over our back fence (our first spring here), and dh took RoundUp to it. He says all it takes is spraying a few leaves, and the whole vine dies. *shrug*

My middle son, who'll be 5 tomorrow, is severely allergic to it. He's been prescribed topical steroid creams and had to have an oral steroid last year. (It was on his face and his eye swoll shut.)

This time when he got it, again on his face, in addition to washing it well and frequent, the combination of that steroidal cream and Claritin kept it at bay. Last year, Benedryl did not do the same thing for him.

Oh you poor thing! I've already had it this year and had it last year and the year before...

Some things to note...the poison ivy is not spreading. Somehow you keep coming into contact with the oil. I would recommend washing everything you've been in contact with (bath towels, bedding, clothes etc.) I picked up something last year called Calagel at CVS and it wasn't too costly. It is a gel that dries up the rash. Also you can wash the affected areas with dishwashing soap to wash the oils off your skin. Also, if the itch gets too bad, run really hot water, as hot as you can stand it on the affected areas and it will relieve the itch for a little while.

Poison ivy is such a miserable thing. Hope it clears up soon!

Get yourself a homeopathic remedy called Rhus Tox (some Health food stores actually call it Poison Ivy remedy). My boys all have it now and dh, too. Dh typically will start blistering EVERYWHERE w/in a few days of exposure. He started taking the Rhus Tox pills right away and his poison ivy NEVER started to blister AND is almost gone (5 days after exposure!). He's a happy guy. I've also heard that Tecnu is a good remedy. Also, wash areas effected OFTEN and somebody also suggested running HOT water on effected areas (as hot as you can stand it). It will release the histimines and might itch more at first, but then you'll get hours of relief. I'm soooo sorry you are suffering and your toddler, too. My ds10 had it BAD and was miserable for days. The Rhus Tox is also safe for your toddler, BTW. Works like a miracle cure around here. Good luck!

We have it all over our back fence (our first spring here), and dh took RoundUp to it. He says all it takes is spraying a few leaves, and the whole vine dies. *shrug*

The ivy is growing right next to a garden which I have just planted (thus my exposure...) If I only need to spray a few leaves, that means the herbicide won't hurt my other plants, right?

Benadryl helps some, but makes me sleepy. I would try Claritin but the price is daunting. I just can't forget the expensive products we tried last year which did very little. I may look into some of the inexpensive suggestions. Thank you :001_smile:

On the bottle, the RoundUp says that "if you like a plant, don't spray it - it will die." :lol: Dh has had favor with spraying only a leaf or a few leaves (in our case, a few in a few spots, because - like I said - the entire fence is COVERED in it) and the entire vine dies.

Wear gloves and spray just a few leaves in close range, away from your garden, and you should be fine. Remember that it IS a vine, and a good thing to do would be to find the root... but that often involves getting IN it, so.. yeah. Spray a few leaves and see if that works before you go trudging through it to find where it actually goes into the ground. If you KNOW where that is, spray THAT.

Like someone else said, if it's spreading, then you're not rid of the oil. Wash often, with water. Must get rid of the oil. Fingernails.

We use the store brand of the Claritin - it's medicinal name is Loratadine. :) It doesn't make you drowsy, either.

The ivy is growing right next to a garden which I have just planted (thus my exposure...) If I only need to spray a few leaves, that means the herbicide won't hurt my other plants, right?

I remember watching a gardening show where someone was eradicating poison ivy that was crawling on other wanted plants. They wore gloves and used paint brushes to brush the herbicide onto the leaves of the poison ivy. They were very careful not to use enough that it might drip before it dried. They had to do this about three different times, probably because they were really not using enough herbicide to kill it in one jolt in order to preserve the other plants, but then it was gone.

I suppose you could try uprooting it. If you do this, do not burn the plant - the oils become airborne and you can get a poison ivy rash on your lungs. (A good friend of mine had this happen.)

I've about had it with my own poison ivy rash. I can't remember the last time I got a rash, but I sure have it now, and have had it for 2 1/2 weeks now and it keeps getting worse. I kept thinking it would go away and new patches break out every day. What I figured, finally, is the dog was bringing it in on his fur. I went out today with the Round Up and was amazed at how much was in the yard. The dog can hardly avoid it. Once you get it, I hear, you are more susceptible to it for a while. I will avoid the poor dog -- a great big black lab who is indoor-outdoor and very affectionate, and I have killed the ivy, and I have washed the sheets, the bathroom rug, the clothes, and I'm avoiding the shoes. Right now I have an open tube of 2% antihistamine cream beside my computer and it really does bring relief. With an extensive rash it takes a while to apply, and my legs and arms look so bad I have to avoid short sleeves and capris for a while. :crying: Surely with all these steps it will start to go away. If it doesn't, Friday will be 3 full weeks and I'll go to the doctor.

I am sorry, Laura! I hope it goes away soon :grouphug:

I was considering taking on the ivy today since I have it already. Once the plant dies, can it be safely removed, or is it still poisonous? What about any roots that remain in the ground - will I continue to expose myself everytime I plant or pull weeds?

Such horrible, mean, nasty stuff! Fortunately, my toddler doesn't seem to have it too badly. There is a spot on his knee and another on his ankle.

Thank you all for your help!

First of all, :grouphug: hugs to you and your toddler!

If you spray the round up and let it die or if you just pull the plant, wear not just gloves but (seriously), put trash bags over your arms and duck tape them so they do not fall off! To get rid of it you should pull the vine, but even when dead or even in winter it still has the oil. There is really no shortcut way to get rid of poison ivy. I, personally, would use round up on the leaves and wait for that to work and then go out, fully covered, and pull it all up...put the stuff in trash bags and haul it to the dump. I know this was said before, but never ever burn it!

Plus, as others have said, wash everything! poison ivy oil can stay on clothes for a full year!

Okay, can you tell that I am highly sensitive to this stuff? a few years ago, I started a flower garden in a new spot and pulled up a few vines not realizing what they were (no leaves). My face became pumkin size within 3 days and I couldn't open my eyes...I never want that to happen again!

Good luck, i really feel for you right now!

I am sorry, Laura! I hope it goes away soon :grouphug:

I was considering taking on the ivy today since I have it already. Once the plant dies, can it be safely removed, or is it still poisonous? What about any roots that remain in the ground - will I continue to expose myself everytime I plant or pull weeds?

Such horrible, mean, nasty stuff! Fortunately, my toddler doesn't seem to have it too badly. There is a spot on his knee and another on his ankle.

Thank you all for your help!

Don't do it! You can get the rash even from a dead plant. You will get it everytime you touch it. (But then I am a bit sensitive to it, I think I might get it just from resonding to this post!)

I may resort to something like bleach. I tried rubbing alcohol earlier to try to dry up the oils.

Last year we spent a fortune on exfoliants and ointments, and I don't think they helped much. I may just have to live with it until it runs its course.

So - next question: How do I get rid of the stuff? There is a well-established vine growing up a tree right next to where I would like to plant some gardens. I don't want to use herbicide in this area. What are my options?

A torch! :001_huh: Wait that may burn your yard and house... hum. I can't get near the stuff either. Best is to wait till winter and hire someone who has no problem with it. They have to dig it up, roots and all. Then take it far far away. Don't let them burn it near you. Some folks get it in their eyes that way. It's hard to treat w/o goop from the doctor if it's getting bad. My MIL swore by Ban Roll on? I have used bleach to dry the rash. I have tried Jewel Weed, you boil it and make ice cubes to rub on before going outside. Problem is... it stinks. American Indians used eat the weed to build up tolerance to the ivy. Not sure I would go that far, since it gives you the runs. :001_huh:

I don't think any of this helps.. does it?