Menu

Starting a 7th grader with Michael Clay Thompson LA

My 7th grader needs more structure and needs to be challenged more. I've been looking at the MCT language arts stuff. I read somewhere on the site to start off a 7th grader with Magic Lens 1, Word within a Word 1, Poetry and Humanity and Essay Voyage. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Would you do that with your 12 yo son? He's a bright kid. He's completed Latin for Children A and he's started B, so he's gotten some grammar concepts under his belt that way. He also read and enjoyed Nitty Gritty Grammar and More Nitty Gritty Grammar. Grammar, spelling and writing all seem to come easily to him. He hates handwriting but even though he has never learned to type formally he's faster than his old teen brothers when it comes to typing!

Just looking for some feedback! Thanks!

Magic Lens 1, Word within a Word 1, Poetry and Humanity and Essay Voyage

This is how I am starting my 8th grade, 13 yo son out with MCT (minus the poetry). If I had found out about the curriculum earlier, we would have started this same way in 7th. So I *think* your son will be fine.

We plan to cover Magic Lens in about 8 weeks and then pick up WWW and EV for the remainder of the year. Several people on this board have warned that WWW can get difficult pretty quickly, so I plan to take our time if we hit a bump.

I'm considering starting some MCT LA with my 12 year old. He's done enough grammar for now, though, and he'll be doing a different vocab program, so we'll stick with just the poetry and the writing. I plan to have him read through the first two levels (his sister will be using it) and then use Essay Voyage and Academic Writing 1. We'll also do the poetry, but I'm not yet sure where to start with that.