Menu

Recommendations for books about High School Planning?..

Home-Designed High School is by far my favorite high school reference book. I heard Diana speak a couple of years ago (long after I'd worked out high school for myself) and thought, "Now, that's the speech I'd have given, and the book I'd have written."

Anyway, it's an excellent, moderate source that covers all aspects of high school design.

Crazy-busy, of course. GRIN.

This semester I not only worked fulltime at the community college as a statistician, but also taught two statistics courses in the math ed department at ECU. (That was fun!) So, with two jobs, a household with two busy teens, one of whom I'm still trying to encourage to do high school work (LOL)...it was a lot. Not much surfing time.

But things are on a brief hiatus here as the summer semester starts up, and I'm actually considering a job transition. I've got an interview tomorrow...and will probably be doing something different come August. While I have truly enjoyed the *work* I do for the community college, my supervisor is a crazy person (c: and I've needed to leave for several months.

While I have a moment to brag...my firstborn has navigated her freshman year at ECU with a 4.0 GPA, including finishing out her Calculus sequence, and Linear Algebra. Oh, and all those foundation art courses, which she expected to kill her GPA...apparently she has talent. LOL! For me, I've just been proud that having a steady boyfriend has not caused her academic brain to shut down in favor of the romantic one.

Here is a final self-portrait she drew for her Figure Drawing course: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Ginevra25_Weasley/P5090269.jpg

Come see us, if you can afford the $4 gasoline for a roadtrip to Greenville. Or let me know when we can come see you...GRIN.

Lori

I need a book that will guide me through the process of planning our high school years....transcripts, credits, testing, etc. Any recommendations? Does it vary much by state?

Hi Amber,

The graduation requirements do vary by state; some states have no requirements for homeschoolers, others, like NY, require the same bare minimum as public schools. But if you're doing a college prep program, you'll far exceed any state's requirements.

In addition to the book that Michelle recommended, I also want to suggest The Guidance Manual for the Christian Home School by David and Laurie Callihan, who homeschooled all five of their children here in NY, and are no teaching in the ps in Florida. :)

HTH!

There are two books by Caffi Cohen that are great:

"Homeschooling the Teen Years...Your complete guide to successfully homeschooling the 13-18 year old"

and

"Homeschoolers' College Admissions Handbook...Preparing 12-18-year-olds for success in the college of their choice"

They may be worth looking at!

:iagree:

Make me three! This book, Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission by Jeanne Gowen Dennis, just makes the process of record keeping, etc., seem so doable.

Regards,

Kareni