Menu

Do you have a homeschool curriculum store?

Are there any homeschool curriculum stores in your state? I'm driving across country tomorrow and I thought I read there is one in OK, and some in TX, but I don't remember.

Let me know so I can stop and support your state with my money!:bigear:

:auto:

Dorinda

Here in Ohio--No. There are a few stores that sell a little bit of curriculum, but nothing great (or what I would probably use, LOL) so those don't count, IMO.

I feel like cyber charters have taken over a LOT of the homeschooling here in my state, though. :glare:

Here in Ohio--No. There are a few stores that sell a little bit of curriculum, but nothing great (or what I would probably use, LOL) so those don't count, IMO.

I feel like cyber charters have taken over a LOT of the homeschooling here in my state, though. :glare:

So...I'm not imagining that...

I moved to OH from NC. NC has thriving HS stores/community. OH has nothing...literally...unless you count B&N.:glare:

There is 3 in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, one that sells only used curriculum and two others that sell both new and used.

There is also one in the Houston area but that is a long way from D/FW and it would be quite out of the way (north to south) if you are driving east-west.

I didn't think so, but apparently there is a Christian one about 30 minutes from me that sells used items.

As well as a Christian book store that sells homeschool curriculum in the same town. The name of the bookstore rings a bell, but I thought it was a Bible and wig store. I had no idea they sold curriculum.

Huh, I'm thinking I need a field trip. I'm not planning on using all Christian curriculum, but it would be neat to actually see homeschool curriculum in person.

I'm in Colorado, BTW, so a little outside your destination, but thanks for asking. I never would have thought to look otherwise!

Oregon has a great one - Exodus Books in Milwaukie (a suburb of Portland). I am not aware of any others in our state, though I think there might be one in the Eugene/Springfield area.

:iagree:

There at least used to be another one in Portland. I can't remember the name right now.

I'll have to do a search for Eugene the next time we head that direction.

Are you driving through GA? There is a store near I-75 in Marietta: Homeschool Hangout. It's a Christian bookstore and he/Hanno carries a lot of BJU as well as other items that you might find listed in a VP or MWF catalog or the like. He has a great selection of Dover coloring books--I usually get at least one for dd while we're there as it takes me 45 mins to get there and it's her reward for behaving well. :D There is a used section and he seems to know what he has on those shelves as well, if you're looking for something particular.

I'd love to see you again!

I'd love to see you too, and meet the others! I don't think DH will go for it though. We'll be down on the Outer Banks in August, so two trips in two months are probably not going to work *sigh* It's too bad because I love seeing my family there, but it's a drive that's juuuust long enough to be prohibitive!

There is one in Madison, AL (just outside Huntsville), though it is mostly consignment materials. I think the only new items they have are the unit studies the owner creates. I've been able to see a few things in person that I was interested in, but it wasn't as cool as I was expecting.

I would love to go to one that sold new stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
There's one in Elk River, MN. There may be more, but that is the one I'm aware of. :)

I will be in MN next summer!:hurray:

There is 3 in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, one that sells only used curriculum and two others that sell both new and used.

There is also one in the Houston area but that is a long way from D/FW and it would be quite out of the way (north to south) if you are driving east-west.

We did Drive through D/FW, but you know how you think you'll make all these cool stops and then you get on the road and realize that you're NEVER going to get there if you don't keep driving? Yeah, it was like that. But, the next time I go east, I think we'll stay in Dallas and then maybe I'll be able to find an excuse to shop :D!

I'm in Colorado, BTW, so a little outside your destination, but thanks for asking. I never would have thought to look otherwise!

Not next year!

Don't have a commercial homeschool store around here, but after homeschooling for 17 years, I do have one in my basement. :lol: Were you looking for anything in particular? I'd be willing to bet it's down there somewhere. :D

:lol:

So, what you're saying is you're going to open one in your area.

Are you hitting Arizona? There's one in Phoenix: http://www.chsrc.org/

I found it to be heavy on Christian-based materials the one time I went (but I did snag two great lego books), but that might be a selling point for you :) The staff was friendly the short time I was there.

I'll have to remember that for when we go west.

We have a used bookstore that has things from time to time, but I wish there were more choices. I also wish there was a bigger/more secular homeschool convention here, but that's a topic for another thread.:D

Thanks!

Dorinda

There is a fabulous one in Kirkland, WA (E of Seattle) that is pretty much all consignment. It is big and they have everything and it takes every bit of self-control for me to get out for under $50. The only drawback is that the popular curricula get snatched up FAST.

We also have a chain of teacher supply stores...I can get lined paper, handwriting books, and co-op idea books there.

We also have a store that I'll never go in again. She doesn't have a storefront anymore anyway, so she's not hard to avoid. The owner followed me around the entire time I was in there trying to sell me Young Earth Creation curricula and Dominion Theology stuff (yes, really) and telling me how to homeschool and ranting about people who browse her shelves and then buy off of Amazon. I have a hard enough time shopping when people are talking to me when they aren't being offensive, but she was something else.