Menu

Hourly rate for math tutor

If you are in a suburb of a major city, then yes, I can see someone charging that price.

May I ask why you think you need a tutor?

The main reason:

Her anxiety leads to her inability to grasp a math concept. She tends to throw her wall up pretty quickly especially when it is her dad or I trying to teach her or help her. She needs some remediation on some concepts and knowing that 5th grade is going to be a lot more challenging I want to make sure we make this as stress free as possible.

I am also preparing for next year when we will be Home schooling fulltime. I may or may not need to have a tutor for 6th grade.

I'm an elem. math tutor and charge $30 an hour. I've been told my price is more reasonable than some.

I teach/tutor 5th-grade-ish through geometry, along with some students transitioning from unschooling to more formal math, and I charge $35/hour.

I will say that it's less work to have a student who is working through a curriculum with a class or whatever, where I just have to help the student with the assigned work, than to have a student where I am working with them through a textbook (and having to figure out pacing, etc.), than to have a student where I am designing a custom curriculum to help them get from point A to point B quicker than usual, based on their existing knowledge, etc. I love to do all three, but the unschooling-to-prealgebra-in-two-years students are a lot more work than the "help with the next section in the textbook" students.

I love the work. If it was my living, rather than more of a hobby/passion with neat kids I enjoy teaching, I might charge more.