Menu

Logic and Latin

That's where I'm stuck for next year. it seems like there isn't any one obvious thing that I am drawn to. everytime I think I've made a decision, I read something else against that choice to make me rethink it.

For logic, I was thinking art of argument, but was told it was very much a "workbook" type program, so I decided on the Fallacy Detective/Thinking toolbox, and then I read that little thing about abortion and whatnot...

Then I was leaning towards that Harry Stollemeier's Discovery, but I don't want to spend $50 on a TM. Now, I have no clue. Again.

For Latin, I want something secular. I'm leaning towards lively latin, but I read something the other day that gave me the impression that it might be too young for my kids (5th and 6th).

Help?!

I disagree that LL is too young for your kids. My son will be starting 6th grade and he LOVES Lively Latin. He tells people he can never go to public school because they don't teach Latin. That is how much he loves it. But, he is a little odd so take that into account. We are weirdo homeschoolers, after all. :lol:

And FWIW, we very much enjoyed the whole Logic Liftoff series. yes, it was all workbook, but my son liked it very much.

What are you looking for in a logic program?

I disagree that LL is too young for your kids. My son will be starting 6th grade and he LOVES Lively Latin. He tells people he can never go to public school because they don't teach Latin. That is how much he loves it. But, he is a little odd so take that into account. We are weirdo homeschoolers, after all. :lol:

And FWIW, we very much enjoyed the whole Logic Liftoff series. yes, it was all workbook, but my son liked it very much.

What are you looking for in a logic program?

I dunno, maybe that's my problem :lol:

If you want something like Art of Argument and Fallacy Detective minus the hot topics like abortion, then you should consider Critical Thinking Book 1 by Anita Harnadek. I own all 3 books and have used CT and they cover the same concepts. Critical Thinking Book 1 & 2 are recommended in the original WTM which is why I used them before I even knew about the other options.

Personally, I think these concepts might be mature for a 5th grader unless unless s/he is well into the dialectic stage. I did CT with my older DD (highly gifted) in 6th and will do it again with younger DD in 7th. I'm sure a 5th grader could keep up, but s/he will get more out of it in 6th or 7th.

As mentioned, Logic Liftoff books are excellent, but they cover mostly logic puzzles like mind benders. These don't really encourage discussion. If you're looking for discussion rather than a workbook, how about Philosophy for Kids? I haven't used it, but there are good reviews on this forum and it's rated for ages 10 & up.

For Latin, I highly recommend Latin for Children. I used it with my older DD and I'm using it a 2nd time around teaching my younger DD in a class at co-op. It's clear and very well laid out. It's perfect for 5th/6th grade (that's the ages of my co-op class) as a first time introduction. If your children are advanced, you might consider Latin Alive by the same publisher. It's for middle schoolers and also looks excellent. We'll be using LfC A & B in 5th & 6th; then Latin Alive in 7th & 8th and Henle or Wheelock's for High School.

My 2 cents.

We used Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Latin. It worked great for my kid, who liked that it was no nonsense and didn't have busy work. The author also has a good, but not heavy-handed sense of humor. Latin Primer might be worth looking at too--same basic approach, just moves more slowly.

I think LL would be fine for 5th and 6th grade. We did LL1 last year with my 3rd grader and her 5th grade friend. It was perfect for them. You could always go through it a little faster than intended if it's easy. For 4th/6th grade, we'll probably continue with LL2 or start GP Latin Prep.

I think LL would be fine for 5th and 6th grade. We did LL1 last year with my 3rd grader and her 5th grade friend. It was perfect for them. You could always go through it a little faster than intended if it's easy. For 4th/6th grade, we'll probably continue with LL2 or start GP Latin Prep.

I think this is what I've decided to do lol.

Now for logic..

I'm looking at "Art of Argument". I found one website that sells it, and it looks like there are 3, Art of Argument, Discovery of Deduction, and the Argument Builder.

Is the Art of Argument "ok" for 6th grade? If you had a 5th grader and a 6th grader, would you combine them in this area, or have the 5th grader wait another year?