Menu

X-post: Where do you have the best success selling used curriculum?

Generally, I sell at my state's homeschool convention, but honestly for as much work as it is, I'm questioning whether it's worth it anymore. I've never sold more that 50% of what I took AND it seems that people only buy it if it's dirt cheap. So, I'm going to try selling online and I'd like some advice about the best sites to use, how to avoid getting scammed, and how you generally handle things when you sell.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

I've sold many book on amazon.com and here and never had any trouble.

If I sell something on this board, I always offer to send the person an invoice through paypal. That way, they have my info. as well and buyer's protection (this doesn't really phase me, but as a buyer I would like it). Most people will sometimes just send $ (to avoid fees for the seller), and I think that is how a lot of folks get scammed. There is no recourse:(

Thanks for responding ladies! I have pay pal as a consumer, but I'm not set up to be a seller, yet. From your responses & others, it sounds like that is the best way to go no matter which site I choose to sell on. So, I guess I better get set up!

Thanks again,

Jennifer

I don't sell a great deal of material (I guess because I use a lot of consumables), but I have had good experiences both as a buyer and as a seller on the sale and swap board here, and on http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com

As Sheri mentioned, I think it's important as a buyer to send money as a purchase (not as "personal") through PayPal, so that I have some sort of recourse if things go badly. So as a seller, I know that fee will come out of the amount that I ask. I didn't know about the invoices, however, so I'm going to look into that!

I try to sell on our local yahoo group first, but I sell most of my stuff here on the FS board. I buy most of my curriculum here on the FS board too. I know there are horror stories out there, but I haven't had a bad transaction yet.

BTW, I am picky about who I buy from. I only buy from users who have been here a year or more and who post. If they just have enough posts to sell, I probably won't buy. I buy from the WTM community, not those who just come to use the sale boards.

I will sell to anyone, but I use PayPal so I have the funds before I ship. I will also use insurance on anything worth more than about $20 just to make sure it arrives. :)