Menu

Do you where I can get this font?

desertmum

I have to admit I like italic handwriting. Now it turns out my ds wants something loopy and threw a "eeww" when I showed him some italic writing. I went back to my pc and looking at this jpeg he yelled "Yes!".

Can someone tell me which font is this? It cannot be ZB because it has a "sensible" upper case G and Q :D

Help? Anybody?

post-17769-13535085074833_thumb.jpg

post-17769-13535085074833_thumb.jpg

Edited by desertmum

You're wanting him to learn cursive that looks like this, yes? You're not looking for a *font* for your computer?

That looks like a tradtional cursive *hand.* Zaner-Bloser and Palmer are traditional *hands,* but this doesn't look like either one.

Here's a page with samples of several cursive hands., although they were created with computer software and so might not look exactly like the originals, KWIM?

This is Palmer.

This is Zaner-Bloser.

Edited by Ellie

You're wanting him to learn cursive that looks like this, yes? You're not looking for a *font* for your computer?

That looks like a tradtional cursive *hand.* Zaner-Bloser and Palmer are traditional *hands,* but this doesn't look like either one.

Here's a page with samples of several cursive hands., although they were created with computer software and so might not look exactly like the originals, KWIM?

This is Palmer.

This is Zaner-Bloser.

Well, I have ZB that came with Startwrite so I may go that way. I cannot do Palmer to save my life, let alone teach it to the kid! Thank you for the suggestions. I will scratch my head a bit more and think this over.

Yeah, that's not very helpful, is it?

Have you showed him New American Cursive? It's a little different than that, but it's still a pretty simple cursive. Maybe he would like it.

ETA: I did not mean the response above mine! I was referring to the site where the image came from.

Well. I am still smarting after ds hated the italic font on sight and asking for "squiggly" writing. I need a font I can have in my pc so I can generate worksheets, rather and a consumable workbook.

Tonight I printed samples of "fonts" so I can get a better idea of what he wants to do. My librarian friend says this is the wrong approach as a child may choose a font that is not the best for him/her. So today I feel I got a set back and a telling off! :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, the t is my least favorite part. I would alter that.

I learned something like this in school in Germany, but as my schooling was so varied, (1-part of 2nd in Germany, 2nd-part of 5th in California, 5th -9th in Rhode Island, 10-11th in one state of Germany, 12-13th in another) my handwriting is a proper mishmash of all that I learned. I sort of gleaned the letters I preferred from each "font." ;)

I agree that the Schulscriften is the closest to the "Manuscript Cursive" font you are looking for.

BTW looking around the HomeschoolingDownUnder site, I found this free Manuscript Cursive alphabet practice book. Atleast it gives you something to start off with.

After that, I would suggest writing to Michelle to ask her where you can buy that font from.

Well. I am still smarting after ds hated the italic font on sight and asking for "squiggly" writing. I need a font I can have in my pc so I can generate worksheets, rather and a consumable workbook.

:tongue_smilie:

You can order a copy of StartWrite that has the New American Cursive on it. Unfortunately, I think that's the only font on it. My daughter uses the workbook, but then I also make extra practice sheets for her.

Good luck deciding on one!

Looks a bit like German cursive. Check for Schulschrift. Let me see if I can find something.

When I saw the picture in the OP I thought, "That looks like løkkeskrift [a type of Norwegian cursive]." Here's a sample. It's quite similar to Schulschrift, but it has a more normal "t". In the sample the first alphabet is written in stavskrift (stick writing) and the second alphabet is løkkeskrift (loop writing). Of course, since it's Norwegian you'll have a hard time finding resources to teach it. I can link you to a Norwegian one, but I doubt it would be helpful. :)

I agree that the Schulscriften is the closest to the "Manuscript Cursive" font you are looking for.

BTW looking around the HomeschoolingDownUnder site, I found this free Manuscript Cursive alphabet practice book. Atleast it gives you something to start off with.

After that, I would suggest writing to Michelle to ask her where you can buy that font from.

Thank you for the link and the idea. Beautiful workbook!

You can order a copy of StartWrite that has the New American Cursive on it. Unfortunately, I think that's the only font on it. My daughter uses the workbook, but then I also make extra practice sheets for her.

Good luck deciding on one!

I got Startwrite but directly from them which means it came without NAC. Arrrggghh!

When I saw the picture in the OP I thought, "That looks like løkkeskrift [a type of Norwegian cursive]." Here's a sample. It's quite similar to Schulschrift, but it has a more normal "t". In the sample the first alphabet is written in stavskrift (stick writing) and the second alphabet is løkkeskrift (loop writing). Of course, since it's Norwegian you'll have a hard time finding resources to teach it. I can link you to a Norwegian one, but I doubt it would be helpful. :)

That sample is sooooooo cute. It looks like the German one with a normal "t". Love it! This font and the German font look a lot the same I write which is why I imagine ds wants something similar.

I'm having a talk with dh about this handwriting business. My mum sid she was the same. She only wanted to do "squiggly" writing and did not do print, italics or anything else. She has amazing handwriting so I guess... Why did I get such a weird kid??? :lol:

Edited by desertmum

Thank you for the link and the idea. Beautiful workbook!

You are welcome. Hope you find something you like and can use.

I got Startwrite but directly from them which means it came without NAC. Arrrggghh!

Fret not! Imho, NAC is nothing like the Manuscript Cursive style you linked to.

That sample is sooooooo cute. It looks like the German one with a normal "t". Love it! This font and the German font look a lot the same I write which is why I imagine ds wants something similar.

I think the stavskrift (stick writing) Norwegian script lower case letters look similar to the Victoria Modern Cursive lower case letters.

Why did I get such a weird kid???

:lol: Ha ha! I thought of the same thing after replying to you yesterday. Most boys I have read about prefer simplified letter forms (like Italic offers). Your son is an exception. Do feed his interest, though. :)

You are welcome. Hope you find something you like and can use.

Fret not! Imho, NAC is nothing like the Manuscript Cursive style you linked to.

I think the stavskrift (stick writing) Norwegian script lower case letters look similar to the Victoria Modern Cursive lower case letters.

:lol: Ha ha! I thought of the same thing after replying to you yesterday. Most boys I have read about prefer simplified letter forms (like Italic offers). Your son is an exception. Do feed his interest, though. :)

You are so sweet. Yes. Well. I think ds likes squiggly writing because this is how he sees mummy write. Also he likes to draw using loops and doodles to fill in the sky, or the sea...

I saw the Victorian Modern Cursive and I may go this way to satisfy his craving for loopiness.

I also saw this some time ago: http://practicalpages.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/free-cursive-handwriting-charts/handwriting-cursive-lowerupper/ the lower case is also like Victorian Modern Cursive, if you looks closely, with loops added later.

Thank you so much, all of you. You have been very patient. What would I do without this board? :001_smile:

• 1 year later...