Menu

!!! LOF Elementary !!!

Honey Bee

There was a thread on it. I'm excited, but I wish there was ONE addition book for $16, ONE subtraction book for $16, etc, instead of four separate books planned for each of four elementary topics :svengo:

I'm confused! How do you know where to start?

I'm confused! How do you know where to start?

I just looked at the sample and very quickly it looks like the stories build on one another. So you might be lost as to who is Kingie if you don't read the first book? Just my thoughts.

I may be the only voice of dissent among all the rave reviews, but I did not like what I saw of the samples. There is no teaching; the topics seem disjointed; there appears to be no sequence. And the stories themselves also seemed boring to me.

There are so many other, interesting, incremental Maths programs for elementary, that I can't see where LoF will fit in.

In many ways, I love the idea, but he recommends a chapter a day. In a book with sixteen chapters, that's less than a month. So basically those four books are for one semester of first grade? Financially, I find that problematic. Maybe I should email him, but while I love the idea, I have some concerns about the implementation.

Good question on how many books to use and how often to use them. Perhaps he doesn't mean to do them every day?

I liked what I saw, but not as a primary or whole curriculum. It looks like a fun bonus for Friday math or vacation review math.

That being said, I totally want them now. ;)

I may be the only voice of dissent among all the rave reviews, but I did not like what I saw of the samples. There is no teaching; the topics seem disjointed; there appears to be no sequence. And the stories themselves also seemed boring to me.

There are so many other, interesting, incremental Maths programs for elementary, that I can't see where LoF will fit in.

You have a point. I really feel these are supplemental OR for a really smart kid who was born with "math smarts" and doesn't need to be taught incrementally. We read through the samples and had fun laughing and giggling. I think it will give a "lightness" to our math. :001_smile:

In many ways, I love the idea, but he recommends a chapter a day. In a book with sixteen chapters, that's less than a month. So basically those four books are for one semester of first grade? Financially, I find that problematic. Maybe I should email him, but while I love the idea, I have some concerns about the implementation.

I think you should e-mail him. :D

I plan on buying them to use as review with DD. I think she'll like the story format (she likes Penrose), and I planned on using Fred with her once we get to fractions anyway.

I think they'll fit very well into a living math approach.

This is typical of what I've seen of LOF (having used Fractions, Decimals, and the first Prealgebra books as supplements). There is a bit of teaching in the books, but it is scattered and thin and mostly procedural.

There is no way I would ever use LOF as a primary program. I keep hearing that the upper levels are better.

Aw! I would have jumped on this despite it's short comings, being the math junkie that I am, but the price is too much for something I wouldn't be using by itself. I love the idea of teaching math in context but at this level we have plenty of context in life so it's just not going to be worth it for me. Makes me kind of sad. :( ... yet kind of happy to be able to say no. :lol:

I'm still going to try out the sample on my son later. :)

This is typical of what I've seen of LOF (having used Fractions, Decimals, and the first Prealgebra books as supplements). There is a bit of teaching in the books, but it is scattered and thin and mostly procedural.

There is no way I would ever use LOF as a primary program. I keep hearing that the upper levels are better.

We've only done LOF Fractions, so my experience is limited, but I totally agree with you! http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/06/too-many-algorithims-in-life-of-fred/

I do intend to check out these new earlier LOF books for my daughter as a supplement when she is ready. They seem to be a lot more than "edutainment", but not as substantial or sequential as a regular math program.

At one point he replied to my email and said there would be 12 books. So I'm assuming that's 2-4 per year since they are short, depending on how many lessons per week you do. For an older child, I could see going through multiple books in one year, doing it daily. But that sure would get pricey!

I also just emailed him about some approximate ages and such for placement. :)

He sent me an email earlier today about ordering the books... Dear Tamara,

As I promised you . . .

* * * * * I have just received word this morning that Z-Twist Books has added the first four books of the Elementary Series to their website.* They are taking advance orders now.**

********* Click on the center box on the publishers website

************************ PolkaDotPublishing.com

********* Z-Twist Books will receive the books directly from the printer.* They will be the first (in the world) to have the books available.* They will see them even before I do.*

********* They are the distribution arm of Polka Dot Publishing and will also be sending copies to retailers as they place their orders.* You can get your copies before most retailers.

With my best wishes,

Stan

I am impressed that he replied to my email so quickly. However, the procedures I questioned were subtraction and multi-digit addition: I was wondering how many books would be a typical first grade book of study. Here's what he said:

All of the Life of Fred books are hardback, Smyth sewn bindings on acid free paper and are not to be written in. They will last through all the kids and grandkids.

The Elementary Series can be started in the early grades whenever the particular student seems to be ready for addition/subtraction.

Looking at the contents of these first four books (which I have included below my signature) you can sense that we do a lot more than just some addition and subtraction. The first six books in the series will finish up all the arithmetic procedures you mention in your email.

As to money . . . if we do the arithmetic, IF your kids let you sell Life of Fred: Apples to other homeschoolers (a big IF), I imagine that your net cost will be around $6. Divided by two kids, that $3/month.

With my best wishes,

Stan

Looking at what they cover, they look like a lot of fun, but very unsystematic. A bit like that Monty Python How to Do It sketch (be a gynecologist, cure all diseases, irrigate the Sahara Desert, play the flute, reconcile the Russians and the Chinese).

He just replied to my email about placement. Still vague but a bit more insight.

********* The elementary series books can be started anywhere before the Life of Fred: Fractions book---say K-4th grade, depending on when the child is ready for doin' arithmetic.

********* Each book will be covered in about a month.* They're 128 pages each.*

************* * Check out the book descriptions and the sample pages at** polkadotpublishing.com

All the best to you,

Stan