Menu

How to avoid injury when reading to toddlers?

Okay, this is one of those random things no one told me about parenting. Or maybe this just happens to me, I don't know. I'm getting really tired of being hurt while trying to read to the kids. I've had a bloody nose (from the elbow of a child climbing across my lap), busted lip (book ripped from my hands), paper cuts, bruises on my thighs and shins (wild feet), pulled hair, and "oh my goodness child, get your elbows out of my booKs!". Oh, and I've been kicked in the face from feet flying over the couch and experienced some sort of jumping piledriver.

Most of this is due to having two little boys who alternate between wanting to run around and jockeying for the best seat on my lap. Short of duct tape and tranquilizer darts, any ideas on how to read-aloud to toddlers without it become some sort of WWE circus? We've tried small quiet toys, but those get fought over and become projectiles (ouch).

Read to them while they're eating lunch/snack :)

I feel your pain ;)

:iagree: I like reading to my kids when they have their mouths full of food and cannot interrupt. :D

I've tried this before and stopped. I have to use meal times to clean up the kitchen while they are contained (I'm also open to ideas on feeding whole, healthy foods to toddlers without living in the kitchen glued to a broom and wet rag). I can try snacks again, though they only eat a morning snack a couple times a week. They graze a little while I cook dinner, but my hands are tied then.

Oh no, they just brought me a book. We'll see how this goes...

I have to admit I laughed when I read your post, but it was out of commiseration. I've almost had my nose broken a couple of times when reading--I was looking over the top of a young head right when the head jerked up and bashed my nose.

You could try the preschool teacher thing and have them sit criss-cross in front of you. You would face them holding the book toward them so they can see the pictures.

When I had three little ones here for a while, I had assigned spots that rotated each day. There was one on my lap, one on my right, and one on my left. We made a big deal of looking at the chart and reading who sat where each day. Having it on a chart completely eliminated the arguments about who got to sit where. Maybe that would work for you?

1. Take off any dangly earrings. Studs are fine. Barely.

2. Tie your hair back in a big clip if it's not very very short.

3. Each gets one 'side.' If there are more than two, they take turns.

4. Sitting quietly earns another book.

If all else fails, try:

5. Give them Kapla blocks so they can build something on the floor while you read to them. They won't see the pictures, but they will still hear and absorb the story.

Or:

6. Read to one at a time when the other is asleep.

I've tried this before and stopped. I have to use meal times to clean up the kitchen while they are contained (I'm also open to ideas on feeding whole, healthy foods to toddlers without living in the kitchen glued to a broom and wet rag).

You need a dog!

I totally know what you mean about little boys who can't sit still. You can try only reading when they are sitting down, which may mean lots of stopping until they learn. If they are fighting for your lap I would not let them sit on your lap. I find it easiest to read while sitting on the floor - my 3 y/o sits on the couch or on his bed above me. He can see all the pages and participate in the story, but I have my "space" at the same time. Good luck!

I find it easiest to read while sitting on the floor -

:iagree:

I sit on the floor with my back against the couch. Less clobbering and less pushing to be able to see the pictures. :D And the older one sometimes sits on the couch behind me so he can look, too (even though he pretends to be reading his own book).

In my house, any of those would end the reading session immediately with the explanation that mom only reads to kids who sit nicely.

:iagree:

I very diligently train my kids to listen to books. It doesn't seem to be a natural skill, but also helps them sit nice other places.

In my house, any of those would end the reading session immediately with the explanation that mom only reads to kids who sit nicely.

This was my policy when it was just the older child, but he's always been more attentive. The 20-month old just started showing an interest in being read to, so I've been putting up with more wiggling just to get through the story. I'll work on that.

I hate to kick them off my lap, because reading is one of the few "cuddle times" we have, since they don't nurse, cosleep, or watch TV with us. I did realize I'm reading too soon after lunch and dinner, before they've had time to burn off some energy. Also, they are more ornery when DH is in the room, so I might have him just read individually for now.

I would give them each their own paper and crayons and their own places to sit. I would also make some storytime "rules", and go over them with them each time you read them a story.

Maybe have a box for each of them of quiet stuff to do - things they can not do with their brother, and I would make the boxes equal (what is in one is also in the other one) to prevent fights.

I've taken to reading like the librarian at storytime lately. With four ages 6 and under, there is just too much fighting about who sits where and next to whom. I sit on the couch while they all sit in a semi-circle on the floor. I have the same rules as storytime even! If anyone stands up, the story stops until the child sits back down. It is actually working pretty well!

This afternoon I was reading to my 3 (8,7&5 years old) and my oldest, who is actually the most interested in the story and loves being read to was literally doing acrobatics on the couch. He was upside down, half on and half off, head on the floor, feet in the air, rolling over the arm. Perpetual motion the whole time. I just made sure he stayed away from me and we were good. The other two sat nicely.

When my oldest was a toddler, I had many fantasies that dh would come home from work to find me passed out in a pool of blood on the floor. ;) Ds wasn't a particularly violent or even "high energy" (though very strong-willed) child. There just seemed to be an awful lot of accidents in those years that left me with bumps and bruises...

He's going into 8th grade now, and so far we've both survived. ;) If that helps at all...

I feel you pain:D I have had several busted lips and nearly broken noses over the past 4 years! My littlest likes to flop his head backwards and sometimes I don't move fast enough! My oldest has the boniest knees and elbows ever and seems to try to knee me to death while he's getting comfortable. I think we are going to try circle time to see if that helps!

:grouphug: I remember those days with my two boys. I had lots and lots of elbows in bad places, backward head flings into my face, poked eyes, etc. I guess I felt that the time was too precious to set rules requiring me to stop the cuddle and read stuff. I occasionally have random weirdness for their age imo now but it definitely decreases as they get older.

:grouphug: I remember those days with my two boys. I had lots and lots of elbows in bad places, backward head flings into my face, poked eyes, etc. I guess I felt that the time was too precious to set rules requiring me to stop the cuddle and read stuff. I occasionally have random weirdness for their age imo now but it definitely decreases as they get older.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to stop the times we do cuddle. My oldest held my hand this afternoon as I read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". DH just read it before bed and changed all the nouns to "carrot". The boys were giggling the whole time. No wonder they get wound up!

Same thing happens here, drives me crazy. This is actually one reason I don't read aloud as much anymore. :( Aside from the bodily injuries, I get done reading and feel as if I'm on the verge of a panic attack. I will have to be better about teaching them to sit still.

I've had tons of busted lips. I felt the same as the OP... like who gets busted up from their little kiddos!!! But it does happen a lot. I sometimes get lost in thought thinking of those mommies who dress in nice clothes, wear earrings and bracelets, and wear makeup all day. I wonder who actually takes care of their kids b/c I know that my clothes get dirty in no time, my face used to get sneezed on and smacked with hands, and the list goes on and on. I think it's part of our style of parenting.

He's going into 8th grade now, and so far we've both survived. ;) If that helps at all...

:svengo: it seems like only yesterday the cops were on your doorstep over chocolate chip pancakes. That is NOT possible :tongue_smilie: Only my kids get older. Everyone else's stay the same age forever.

Strategically placed throw pillows (your lap) are helpful.

Keeping the munchkins tucked sort of under your arms on either side of you while you are seated is safer.

I found that I got the most abuse if I tried to read lying down, because somehow I was less agile in defending myself in that position. Lying on your stomach is pretty safe, but lying on your back is very vulnerable.

BTDT, you have my sympathy!

re: making them sit still.

You'd be surprised what they learn if you read while they're motoring around. I skipped first grade with my one ds, because he was answering all of his older sister's questions, and there I thought he was just stacking blocks.

So, even when you think they're not listening at all? They are.