Menu

Could someone give me advice on choosing a math curriculum?

Here is my situation. My son is ten. He has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. He has been with us since two months, but because of lack of information we didn't have a diagnosis until he was 7 yrs. old.

He struggles with short term memory issues, problems with receptive language, and abstract concepts are very difficult to grasp. This makes math a frustrating subject for him (and for mom).

We have worked with Math U See, but we seem to be stuck and can go no further.

I need some solid advice. I was considering touchmath. Do any of you have a child with these struggles? What have you used? What advice would you give me?

To top everything off, we are living overseas, so I need to figure out what I am going to do relatively quickly in order to have the curriculum shipped here in time.

Hi, my daughters have similar issues with math. We have tried several curriculums over the last three years and Touchmath was one that my girls enjoyed. It gave them a way to be successful with basic arithmetic so they can move on to other higher order things. Some people say it's a crutch, but it worked for us at a time when they really needed to have some success.

We have also recently had some success with Excel Math workbooks, where they can do all the work in the book rather than having to transfer problems to copy paper. Excel Math also provides daily review of previously learned concepts which helps with the memory issues. Best of all, they provide a checksum feature, where for each set of problems, they have to total to the checksum so they can check their work. It keeps me from having to be the bad guy and I find they spend more time trying to figure out where they went wrong, then if I just mark a single problem wrong.

Best of luck in your journey!

Beth in MD

Fetal alcohol and math just do NOT mix. I understand your frustrations as my 23ds has fetal alcohol and can only do math at a 1st grade level.

For example, this winter he wanted to buy a snowmobile from a friend for "eighteen hundred dollars". He then showed me that after his next check he would have enough as you write 18 and then put the 1 (for the hundred in front of it)------1-18 (118) to make eighteen hundred dollars. We "discussed" this for many weeks until finally THANKFULLY the snow melted. He just could not get that 18 hundred dollars was not 18 with a 100 in front but instead 18 100 dollar bills.

As to what works, touch math was likely the best thing. Honestly, it is now a calculator and just trying to show him what steps to do to get the right answer.

I really, really like Christian Light Education math and you mgiht be able to combine that with touch math points to get him farther along.

Some FAS kids do a lot better with math than mine does but it is TOUGH.

We are using Numicon math. It is a math curriculum for kiddos who have difficulty with abstract concepts, specifically Down Syndrome. I really like it, but it's not layed out like a traditional curriculum (do this day 1, this day 2, etc.).

Jenn