Menu

I just hate cancer!!

I was reading about Molly and how suddenly it all went downhill and remembering two years ago come July when the same thing happened to my SIL in Atlanta. She'd battled Ovarian cancer for a few years. She was heading toward remission. We got a phone call on Monday that she was going to the hospital for dehydration. We did not know how serious it was. On Wed another SIL who lived in Illinois called us to tell us she'd just talked to sick SIL's Dr and he said the family had to come because she would not make it through the night. The drive to pick up my MIL and FIL in Central FL and then racing to Atlanta was horrible. She died right before we got there. It was all so fast! I'd just talked to her on the phone a few days before. She was looking forward to having my neice come up and do some sight seeing. We talked about a trip we might take up there in December. It was so horrible. Now I have this beautiful baby girl that my SIL never got to meet. Oh, how she loved babies being in the family. Especially girl babies! She was so girly herself. She'd never married or had her own kids but she always doted on nieces and nephews. She talked of one day when the cancer was gone maybe becoming a foster parent to a little girl.

It's just such a wicked disease. So sorry for all of you who have lost loved ones to this disease. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

Two...or maybe 3 now...years ago a young mother in our church died from breast cancer. She has two beautiful daughters (preteen at the time). The girls never went back to school....they now homeschool with grandma and grandpa (Calvert and American School). Their mom was in her early 30's. She is what prompted me to get my first mammogram. I told the technician who did my mammogram the story (not sure if technician is the right word). She was very sad about it, but was so happy that I was doing this. When it was over she gave me a big hug and said that I was giving a gift to my children. :crying:

As do I.

My mother, her only sister, and both her parents/my grandparents died of lung cancer. My mother died 11 days after being diagnosed. We have several cousins who died of different kinds of cancer, all the cousins being relatively young (under 50yo).

Cancer just sucks.

AMEN!!!! My dad has prostate cancer that has spread to his bones and while he has done chemo/radiation and is technically in remission right now, there is no cure for this once it has spread and it will come back. My fil died from lung cancer and there's a girl I work with who's dh has pancreatic cancer and he's only 35! I pray for a cure daily!

I hate it, too.

Ds is a two-time cancer SURVIVOR. :) But he went through he** and back as did we - almost lost him a few times . . .

Lost a cousin who was especially kindhearted and good - and especially to my mom. She had just retired and was planning good times with her family and with my mom. Didn't live long enough - pancreatic cancer.

And so many friends gone, or fighting the disease . . .

I hate it.

I was just sitting here crying thinking about Molly. I've also stumbled upon a young man online who is dealing with the same cancer I had. He's so young and his stage is worse than mine. He's married and I've tried to reach out and be encouraging as they go through these beginning stages.

My neighbors is going through tx for lung cancer.

Sometimes I don't feel qualified to say I'm a survivor as they caught my cancer so early. I only had radiation and surgery, no chemo. I know I am, but I think chemo bites doubly bad.

The breakthroughs in tx are coming. The mortality rate for my type of cancer, Hodgkin's Disease (Lymphoma), was much higher fifty years ago. I remember watching October Sky and the at the end credits it stated that Homer's teacher died from Hodgkin's. I just burst into tears the first time I saw that. I've known several people that have had Hodgkin's since and survived.

As hopeless as I feel sometimes about cancer, I have hope in the future. Don't skimp on science for your kids. We are raising the next generation of critical thinkers, those that ask more and more questions to find the right answers. I have no medical experience, so my only experience is in hope. When someone who asks the right questions about cancer and technology, wisdom, and experience collide to find the right answer, there will a cure.

As hopeless as I feel sometimes about cancer, I have hope in the future. Don't skimp on science for your kids. We are raising the next generation of critical thinkers, those that ask more and more questions to find the right answers. I have no medical experience, so my only experience is in hope. When someone who asks the right questions about cancer and technology, wisdom, and experience collide to find the right answer, there will a cure.

What a terrific point~ thank you for the reminder!

I'm with you. It's a terribly scary disease. My aunt survived non-hodgkins lymphoma in her late 20's only to have breast cancer take her life in her early forty's. Her family took her immediate family on a cruise to celebrate her remission. She was done. It was gone. Yet upon docking she was taken straight to the hospital and ended up on life support, which was eventually turned off. She had had her lifetime limit of chemo and her organs were just done. She left behind young children as well. It is so very, very sad.

I was reading about Molly and how suddenly it all went downhill and remembering two years ago come July when the same thing happened to my SIL in Atlanta. She'd battled Ovarian cancer for a few years. She was heading toward remission. We got a phone call on Monday that she was going to the hospital for dehydration. We did not know how serious it was. On Wed another SIL who lived in Illinois called us to tell us she'd just talked to sick SIL's Dr and he said the family had to come because she would not make it through the night. The drive to pick up my MIL and FIL in Central FL and then racing to Atlanta was horrible. She died right before we got there. It was all so fast! I'd just talked to her on the phone a few days before. She was looking forward to having my neice come up and do some sight seeing. We talked about a trip we might take up there in December. It was so horrible. Now I have this beautiful baby girl that my SIL never got to meet. Oh, how she loved babies being in the family. Especially girl babies! She was so girly herself. She'd never married or had her own kids but she always doted on nieces and nephews. She talked of one day when the cancer was gone maybe becoming a foster parent to a little girl.

It's just such a wicked disease. So sorry for all of you who have lost loved ones to this disease. :grouphug:

Your SIL's story sounds exactly like my MILs story. She went in for dehydration, ended up in hospice and died 2 weeks later. It's coming up on the one year anniversary and I cry every time I think about it. Its so unfair that my kids will never know their grandma. She was ony 60 and a very young 60 at that.

I HATE CANCER TOO. with a big giant HATE:glare:

I lost my dad, MIL, 3 aunts...My sil lost her breast at 28...seriously....and her mother the year before. My mom probably had undiagnosed cancer...as she was fighhting cancer in other places for years....

I hate it with a passion!

Faithe

We've lost an aunt, an uncle, two grandparents, and a dear friend to cancer. We have several other loved ones who are either survivors or are currently going through treatment. And, of course, there are our members here facing this horrid disease. It scares me how very prevalent cancer seems to be these days. This weekend would have been my uncle's 57th birthday. He was more of a dad to me than my bio dad. I miss him, his smile, his laughter, and his wisdom everyday.

I hate it too. It is a vicious, nasty disease. I didn't know Molly, but I had been following her struggle and progress, and I was praying for her, so her passing was a shock, and a sad reminder of my mom.

My mom, who was healthy her entire life, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, stage 4, in March of this year. She died exactly four weeks after diagnosis. It moved so fast, even the doctors were surprised.

Yup, cancer sucks! European studies seem more progressive than here in the US. I've had too many family members die, to actually count them all. (My mom has had 8 siblings die of cancer) Just this Feb my mom had surgery to deal with her cancer, and is on week 18 of chemo; then she'll go to once a month chemo for a year. While I sound like a walking advertisement, http://www.cancercenter.com/ has better than average results. My mom's cancer is one of the "most dreaded" and yet it looks as though she might pull through. They also couple chemo with alternative, naturopathic meds with plenty of healthy supplements. NO ONE wants to join the "Cancer Club" but if you do, the Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) are awesome!

Sorry for all of us who have family members with cancer! ;(

:iagree:

I will never forget being with my brother and sister-in-law when the docs came in to tell them their newborn had neuroblastoma. I remember SIL looking at me later and telling me that my oldest daughter could be the one to find a cure for it one day.

It is just heart rending to read all of the painful stories, and my family feels so unbelievably blessed to still have our precious little guy. He was on the brink of death innumerable times. Why he pulled back from the edge to survive while others go over it is incomprehensible to me. It really makes us appreciate each and every day more than we ever did before.

I often say I hate cancer. Although, those words just don't seem strong enough to convey how I strongly I feel about it. My Mom struggled with cancer for the last 9 years of her life. She finally died of breast cancer that had matasticed to the bone. It was very long painful death. I still can't talk about some of the things she experienced without crying. My heart just breaks when I hear of other families losing a loved one to this horrible disease.

Joy