Menu

Looking for 5th Grade Life Science - No Religion Please

I have gone over and over the threads about middle school life science options, and now I'm even more confused! I'd love to hear from those who have used any of these options or those who are also researching and may have more info. I teach science to my 5th grade dd, her 5th grade friend, and 3 others, grades 2/3. I'd like to buy something focused on the older kids, and have the younger kids participate as they are able. On the one hand, I love the idea of piece-mealing a program myself and going with the kids interests. On the other hand, I am also working as a nurse 24 hours a week, teaching a high school anatomy class at co-op, and have limited free time in which to plan. In fact, generally speaking, if it's not ready-to-go, I generally don't get to it. Being a science person myself, I want my kids to love science too, but I also want to them to be challenged academically. So - here are some programs I'm considering, and my concerns - I'd love input from others! Thanks...

Elemental Science - seems a bit dry, reliance on encyclopedia-type books which are also dry, maybe a bit heavy on writing

ClassiQuest - just saw this one, similar issues as above, but looks a little more fun, for some reason, and they are coming out with a kit

Pearson Science Explorer - I think I'd have to put together experiments for this one one my own. I haven't been able to look at one, but I'd love to hear from those who have used it

CPO Biology - This text looks really awesome, but the labs look daunting. I'm thinking of getting the text for the older girls, something lighter for the youngers, and either picking activities that would work at home from the program or using Janice VanCleave or similar to match the topic.

Science Kits - I'm even thinking of just getting a few kits, like Nutshell or Academy of Science, and finding "living book" reading around each. The kids may prefer this and pick up quite a bit.

As you can see, I'm all over the place. Anything else I haven't considered? I really do not want anything remotely Christian, as we are not Christian. I understand things can be adjusted, but I would actually prefer to have evolution included in life science (one of my reasons for liking CPO). I can always add it, but I prefer not to have to edit out religious stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

well, I used something totally different, but I just finished so it is all in my head.

I used and modified the free life science offered at Guest Hollow. Now, the hivemember who created this teaches from a Christian perspective but it was dead easy to modify. She used almost all secular materials. Where she points out that she didn't use a particular chapter etc I just used it. She also finishes the year with a unit on ..maybe it was nutrition and safety? I finished the year with a botany unit. I used the TOPS radish unit and my boys liked it quite a bit. My friends used both the radish unit and the corn unit but I guess we were slackers. I sort of wish we had done it now.

It is focused on the human body. I wanted to do a bit more so I included about three weeks on evolution and Darwin. it was very easy to find materials. You could also use the TOPS unit on animal camouflage for a more hands on experience to go along with the reading. Now that the year is over, I really wish I had done so. I will the next time around!

We used the resource "Blood and Guts" quite a bit. There were dissections and we had a BLAST! We did the sheep brain, kidney, eye and heart. We also used a chicken leg and thigh to look at muscles and tendons. I had my 5th grader write up all experiments and do sketches. I also had him write up narrations of any reading. We watched some really good DVDs. We made a paper skeleton and some cut out activities with body parts. Oh, I also used a scholastic book that is made for younger kids..I also had my 1st grader along. Turns out, my 5th grader got just as much out of making a "respiratory system vest" as my 1st grader. Oh, we also found out our blood type. That was fun.

It was one of our best science years ever. I am glad I didn't spend anything on a curriculum but got the hands on books and dissection materials. My kids learned so much. The only trouble is that now they are expecting me to deliver the same level of excitement and hands on activities next year. I am using CPO earth and space so we will see how it goes.

Wow, redsquirrel, that really looks great. I was actually looking at her U.S. History curriculum to use this year, so I already had the site open in another window! Thanks for the idea. I do like how flexible it is, though I was hoping to include animals too. I'm sure I could figure something out. What a great resource!

We used Oak Meadow 6th grade Life Science (completely secular). I think it would definitely be ok for a 5th grader and the younger crowd could easily jump in. There isn't a lot of planning, either. We really enjoyed it.

Here's the link if you want to look at the sample:

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/overviews/sixth-grade-overview.pdf

Any questions - let me know:)

We used Oak Meadow 6th grade Life Science (completely secular). I think it would definitely be ok for a 5th grader and the younger crowd could easily jump in. There isn't a lot of planning, either. We really enjoyed it.

Here's the link if you want to look at the sample:

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/overviews/sixth-grade-overview.pdf

Any questions - let me know:)

That looks pretty neat! Do you also have to buy the teacher manual? It's hard to tell what is included. Are there labs/activities in the science manual? Thanks!

The TM has info/answers for the discussion questions and the test answers (also includes Social Studies and English info. as well). I used it mainly for the test answers if I didn't get to read the chapter.

Yes, there are activities/projects. You don't have to buy a kit or anything. If anything was needed, it wasn't impossible to find it. There are also writing projects, planting seeds, and a lot of drawing. You complete a project every week (usually a choice of 3 or 4 things).

HTH :)

When you say "dry", please explain.

A classical approach relies on resources that are not textbook. True resources and living books are a component of both WTM and CM.

Maybe what you want is more hands-on, Pandia Press, Real Science is an option.

No matter what, you will encounter a textbook or reference resources like an encyclopedia.

Being that you want a nonreligious approach, I would suggest that you compile a list of great scientists and add experiments.

Elemental Science has scientist studies that you could alter ... http://greatscientistsseries.blogspot.com/ Add Tops or Gems kits, look at homesciencetools.com too

I have no idea how the "thumbs down" symbol got on my message, but now I can't get rid of it! Please ignore...

When you say "dry", please explain.

A classical approach relies on resources that are not textbook. True resources and living books are a component of both WTM and CM.

Maybe what you want is more hands-on, Pandia Press, Real Science is an option.

No matter what, you will encounter a textbook or reference resources like an encyclopedia.

I guess I find the encyclopedias (Usborne and Kingfisher are what we have) to be great references, but not so good as the major source of information. It feels like a list of facts, as if they're trying to stuff as much information into one page as possible. Again, great to have for reference or as a supplement, but not so great (in my opinion) for introducing a topic. I know it works for some, but I find them dry and don't really consider them "living books", but more like reference books. I've definitely read textbooks that have more life in them. I guess I'd prefer a really well-written textbook or maybe I'll have to get topical books that will interest them in the subject. For example, I don't think I ever could have stood doing 4 years of history using just the Usborne book. SOTW was a great experience for us - the writing alone really interested my kids and drew them in. If I could find a science version of SOTW, with activity book and all, I'd be all set!

We did RSO Life for 1st grade and liked it well enough, though I found the Earth to be only okay and the Chemistry to involve a lot of busy work (cutting and pasting, etc). I may use it for the younger ones and supplement with more detailed books for the olders, but they've done all the experiments already (albeit 4 years ago). I remember dd finding the writing babyish too, and that's when she was 6. Maybe I should check out RS4K?

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I'm worried that the curriculum I'm looking for doesn't exist. Oak Meadow is very tempting, I just wish I could get a peak at more of it in person, considering the cost. I always thought the curriculum as a whole looked neat, but my kids are different levels in every subject so it wouldn't have worked out so well. Thanks again for all the ideas!

Did you happen to see all of Lewelma's posts re: how she teaches science during the year and has an end of the year 6 week science fair project? I liked her suggestions, and although I have chosen to go with Elemental Science I was glad to see she also scheduled for a science fair project to help apply the learning. It seems like these days I have two kids that want to DO more than they want to READ, so I have got to figure out things that build on themselves and allow them to apply what they know to the real world.

Singapore MPH is open and go. Experiments are generally very easy to do with little prep and what you have on hand. Add in the HOTS and HW books and you have a meaty program heavy on critical thinking.

I love how a lot of the programs mentioned here look but honestly, if it's not all done for me in a neat little package, it doesn't get done. For me that's my ADD but for you it sounds more like time issues. So it's open-and-go, truly and completely secular and a great science program to boot.

I have no idea how the "thumbs down" symbol got on my message, but now I can't get rid of it! Please ignore...

I guess I find the encyclopedias (Usborne and Kingfisher are what we have) to be great references, but not so good as the major source of information. It feels like a list of facts, as if they're trying to stuff as much information into one page as possible. Again, great to have for reference or as a supplement, but not so great (in my opinion) for introducing a topic. I know it works for some, but I find them dry and don't really consider them "living books", but more like reference books. I've definitely read textbooks that have more life in them. I guess I'd prefer a really well-written textbook or maybe I'll have to get topical books that will interest them in the subject. For example, I don't think I ever could have stood doing 4 years of history using just the Usborne book. SOTW was a great experience for us - the writing alone really interested my kids and drew them in. If I could find a science version of SOTW, with activity book and all, I'd be all set!

We did RSO Life for 1st grade and liked it well enough, though I found the Earth to be only okay and the Chemistry to involve a lot of busy work (cutting and pasting, etc). I may use it for the younger ones and supplement with more detailed books for the olders, but they've done all the experiments already (albeit 4 years ago). I remember dd finding the writing babyish too, and that's when she was 6. Maybe I should check out RS4K?

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I'm worried that the curriculum I'm looking for doesn't exist. Oak Meadow is very tempting, I just wish I could get a peak at more of it in person, considering the cost. I always thought the curriculum as a whole looked neat, but my kids are different levels in every subject so it wouldn't have worked out so well. Thanks again for all the ideas!

Go look at Prentice Hall, Science Explorer Series. I think that perhaps that is what you might want.:lol: I love them. I am using ES, but I snuck in and got these too, LOL. I will toss them in the book basket for reading. Both of my DDs have enjoyed these. Have you looked at them?

My kids were never much for experiments/labs, so we didn't do many, but the Science Explorer textbook is filled with easy hands-on activities/experiments, most of which you can do at home without specialized equipment.

We also used the Singapore junior high textbook--sorry, can't remember the name. My son found it interesting, and it had critical thinking exercises that he worked through instead of doing experiments.

You can get used Science Explorer textbooks very inexpensively from betterworldbooks and Amazon.