Menu

AoPS Online classes? Can I get a review?

I'm considering this for the coming year for my mathy rising seventh-grader.

If you have used it, did you like it? Did you feel you got what you paid for interms of help from the instructor, or was it more feeling your way through and self-guided?

Do the online classes correspond to the textbooks? The Intro to Algebra textbook seems much more comprehensive than the online class schedule. Also, the online classes seem to be one semester classes as opposed to the texts which seem to be designed for a full year.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

If you have used it, did you like it?

we liked it a lot.

Did you feel you got what you paid for in terms of help from the instructor, or was it more feeling your way through and self-guided?

Well, there is an online class 1x a week for 1.5 hours. Questions are welcomed. Also, before the class you are to read through the chapter, doing some of the problems to get a general idea of the material.

Message board problems are posted after class to practice the material covered. Any questions about these can be asked on the message board. If you have trouble with the problems, you can also do more of the problems in the textbook.

Challenge sets are due every three weeks. These cover the previous three weeks' material and detailed feedback is given on these.

Do the online classes correspond to the textbooks? The Intro to Algebra textbook seems much more comprehensive than the online class schedule...

Yes, they correspond to the textbook. Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 both use the Introduction to Algebra textbook. The classes do move fast, probably faster than most would if using the books at home.

Love them. but they move fast. Ds said he was glad that he didn't take pre-cal this last yr via the online class. (instead he did it w/a fantastic phD math teacher.) He said if he had taken it online on top of his full load schedule that he wouldn't have had the time to really dig into it. (and the books are meant to be savored!!)

Another question: Are the classes set up the same way as the Math Jam (meaning -- all through a text chat format, including the instructor)?

And another 2: In the Math Jam they stated there were 75 students per class -- am I remembering correctly? And if so, did it seem like there were just a few students who did most of the participating and sharing?

Another question: Are the classes set up the same way as the Math Jam (meaning -- all through a text chat format, including the instructor)?

It is all text.

And another 2: In the Math Jam they stated there were 75 students per class -- am I remembering correctly? And if so, did it seem like there were just a few students who did most of the participating and sharing?

That doesn't seem to happen in the classes. If a student consistently gets and sends in the answers, their answer will get posted at least a couple times during class.

My kids completed lots of AoPS work over the years. We mixed it up with a combination of online classes and just studying their materials at home. Like 8Fill says, their stuff is meant to be savored. It's deep stuff, and sometimes rushing doesn't get the same results as slowing down and digging deeply into the challenge problems. Try the online class; if it seems to be moving too quickly, you can get a full refund any time before the third class begins.

Yes, the math jams are representative of the class style. Don't worry about class size -they hire an appropriate number of class TA's to answer questions during class and to read and comment on the challenge homework sets. My daughter works for them, and I can see that it works. If she complains that she can't field all of the questions the instructor sends her way, they'll hire another assistant for future classes. She often spends an hour or more reading & grading a single student's challenge set & gives detailed feedback.

One caution that isn't often mentioned is that your student will get all the help he (or she) needs *if* he is proactive about speaking up in class and asking questions. No one will call on him during class to find out if he is following along. The complaints I tend to hear are along the lines that the student just sat in front of the online class once a week and later attempted the challenge sets. You don't get much out of the online classes that way! Pre-read the chapter before class - it makes a huge difference in following along at a fast pace & contributing & asking good questions. Use the class discussion boards. Lots of kids skip that step, but it's invaluable to get practice on the week's topic in a forum where other students and the instructors/TA's are available for help. AoPS people are an extremely friendly and helpful bunch.:)

My son did three courses with AoPS. We both loved the books, and he really enjoyed the classes. That said, we will no longer be taking online classes. They are really too fast and demanding. And we will be re-doing algebra II, because I don't have the feeling he really understood. He didn't have time to work through every problem (and with AoPS, there's no busywork, every problem counts!). DS was rushed through the concepts.

In the future, he will be taking a class the 'normal' homeschool way, and then re-doing that class with AoPS. We will be starting with geometry. After a full year of geometry, I'll consider getting him into the AoPS geometry class. I don't think it will be redundant. AoPS presents every nook and cranny there is to know about geometry at that level, in such a new light that it feels new.

Right now I am debating between taking the AoPS geometry book first, and then class, or taking another geometry book first followed by the online class. I think it will be the latter.