Menu

Any quilters?

I need help!

So, first let me list my "resume". I've sewn a skirt in home-ec (complete with zipper), a couple of pillows, a maternity dress, a machine-quilted "basket-weave" quilt, and my wedding dress.

Notice, only one quilt. Also, notice a lack of sewing experiences, and a complete disregard for starting slow.

So, my current project idea is to make a hanging quilt of the United States (political map). (Yes, we are studying American history next year.)

I have asked a number of quilters that I know, and all of them say they wouldn't touch that project with a ten-foot pole.

And, I don't get it. . .

My idea is to cut the states (individually) and "applique" them onto the fabric. I was thinking a narrow zig-zag stitch for borders.

Obviously, I will lose some detail in borders, but I still think this is do-able. . .

However, as stated previously, I lack experience.

Therefore, I come to you (before I start stitching), for your thoughts and wisdom.

Please? Anything?

I've been quilting for 19 years and wouldn't touch that project. When we wanted a map quilt, I simply bought a piece of fabric with a US map printed on it, added borders, batting, and backing, and quilted it by machine.

But you made your wedding dress...you are obviously unafraid to take on a challenge!

If it's just going to hang and not be used as a bed-covering (and so will not be subject to intensive use/washing), I would use that double-stick fusible stuff (I think it's called steam a seam), apply to my fabric, cut out the states, and iron on to the background. Personally I wouldn't bother stitching the edges but might outline with puffy fabric paint, add rivers in puffy fabric paint, maybe add buttons or something for state capitols, etc. Sounds like it could be quite fun -- you could get mountain fabric for mountainous states, grass-like fabric for prairie states, etc. I did a hanging quilt with steam a seam years ago with a Christmas wreath and never stitched the bits of fabric, and the steam a seam has held up well.

I probably would just machine quilt around the map and maybe do a fun wave-like quilting pattern for the water on either side.

Sounds like it could be quite a fun project.

If it's just going to hang and not be used as a bed-covering (and so will not be subject to intensive use/washing), I would use that double-stick fusible stuff (I think it's called steam a seam), apply to my fabric, cut out the states, and iron on to the background. Personally I wouldn't bother stitching the edges but might outline with puffy fabric paint, add rivers in puffy fabric paint, maybe add buttons or something for state capitols, etc. Sounds like it could be quite fun -- you could get mountain fabric for mountainous states, grass-like fabric for prairie states, etc. I did a hanging quilt with steam a seam years ago with a Christmas wreath and never stitched the bits of fabric, and the steam a seam has held up well.

I probably would just machine quilt around the map and maybe do a fun wave-like quilting pattern for the water on either side.

:iagree:I have been sewing for over 40 years, clothing, home dec and quilting. I love applique, but it is challenging, both hand and machine. I WOULD NOT touch this project with traditional applique at all. BUT if you could do it as described above, it would be more doable. I still wouldn't WANT to do it, but it would be doable.

Mary

I am a fairly experienced quilter and wouldn't take this on. I do have to say that I see young inexperienced quilters bring beautiful projects to the guild meetings that more experienced quilters would not have thought could be done. There is something to not knowing you should not be able to do something that allows you to complete it well.

I would not use steam-a-seam, I would use cheap fusible web from Joannes, and I wouldn't go too big, that will be your main problem with getting it all to line up. Big pieces will wrinkle more and be harder to keep straight. I would keep it maybe 36" by 45" at the most. I would use something stiff like Kona snow as a background. Muslin or cheap broadcloth is going to be more difficult to fuse to. That is my best advice, take it for what it's worth as it's free, lol.

I have done several applique quilts both by machine and hand. I think the project is doable but I worry about the end result. Like you said, you will lose a lot of details in the state borders. I'm thinking of the waviness of the Idaho border and the jaggedness of West Virginia. I'm not saying it's impossible but I know I wouldn't be able to make it look good.

I think the idea of buying a fabric with the US already on it was a fabulous idea. If you don't find one you like you can design your own at Spoonflower (http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome) and save yourself a lot of time and hassle. It will also look better.

Here's what I was talking about:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/2986.htm

Not ideal, but quick. You could add borders to make it larger, and embellish it as you like.

:001_smile: I was posting this at the same time.

I have this and it is very well done. I actually bought it at a homeschool convention several years ago, and it was more money than the price Keepsake has it for.

:iagree:

I'm a quilter, and I would totally do it. I think it sounds like a fun challenge. But...I'm generally recognized as a little bit crazy when it comes to quilting. I have a couple of quilts underway right now that will probably take me a couple of years each to finish. For me, it's the journey as much as the destination. I say go for it. And post pictures. :)