Menu

Science Shepherd Life Science

I had planned to use SS for my 7th grader this past year. I even bought it and read through most of it. But.....some personal issues arose and I had to dramatically alter my plans to use BJU DVD's. So, what I am saying is only from thoroughly reviewing it and not "using" it with my dd. I was very impressed with it. It covered the same scope of info that BJU life science covers, but in a little different order. I thought it was as readable as BJU, and at times, I thought it's explanations were even better. There was more debate about evolution in BJU, but I liked how the author presented it in SS; with what I might say...fewer rhetorical excesses. My favorite thing about the layout was how he introduced each kingdom with the various phyla, classes, etc. I thought that this was rather convoluted in BJU. DD & I had to go searching in my old college texts and the internet to find a layout of the full taxonomy of each kingdom. One disadvantage is that the TG is very sparse. They do provide a complete year's schedule with the curriculum, but BJU beats them hands down with their teacher support materials. SS also recommended a workbook lab supplement from a secular publisher (can't remember the name) and I really liked their choice of experiments & observations. You can check the workbook recommendation at Rainbow Resource by searching for the ss curriculum. I think it comes up with it.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong by using it. What you have to decide is how much teacher support you want. FWIW, I am seriously considering using their HS Biology.

HTH,

Jennifer

I had planned to use SS for my 7th grader this past year. I even bought it and read through most of it. But.....some personal issues arose and I had to dramatically alter my plans to use BJU DVD's. So, what I am saying is only from thoroughly reviewing it and not "using" it with my dd. I was very impressed with it. It covered the same scope of info that BJU life science covers, but in a little different order. I thought it was as readable as BJU, and at times, I thought it's explanations were even better. There was more debate about evolution in BJU, but I liked how the author presented it in SS; with what I might say...fewer rhetorical excesses. My favorite thing about the layout was how he introduced each kingdom with the various phyla, classes, etc. I thought that this was rather convoluted in BJU. DD & I had to go searching in my old college texts and the internet to find a layout of the full taxonomy of each kingdom. One disadvantage is that the TG is very sparse. They do provide a complete year's schedule with the curriculum, but BJU beats them hands down with their teacher support materials. SS also recommended a workbook lab supplement from a secular publisher (can't remember the name) and I really liked their choice of experiments & observations. You can check the workbook recommendation at Rainbow Resource by searching for the ss curriculum. I think it comes up with it.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong by using it. What you have to decide is how much teacher support you want. FWIW, I am seriously considering using their HS Biology.

HTH,

Jennifer

thanks, Jennifer, that helps alot! I think I am going to order it. You wouldn't by any chance be selling the set you didn't use, would you?:tongue_smilie: