Menu

Online English class for my 8th grader? Please help...

I cannot teach my son English, so I need a situation where someone else does the correcting and teaching. Any suggestions? He is not a strong writer, so I don't think he could qualify for the Veritas class. We had a bad experience with Potter's school. Other ideas? I also can't pay for a literature class, a writing class, a grammar and spelling class, etc. So I need it to be an all-in-one class. Memoria seems to have one. Any others/

Thank you so much!

I cannot teach my son English, so I need a situation where someone else does the correcting and teaching. Any suggestions? He is not a strong writer, so I don't think he could qualify for the Veritas class. We had a bad experience with Potter's school. Other ideas? I also can't pay for a literature class, a writing class, a grammar and spelling class, etc. So I need it to be an all-in-one class. Memoria seems to have one. Any others/

Thank you so much!

Veritas now offers an English Transition class. Might be a good fit. and meets twice a week.

You could also probably do a higher level "grammar level" class at VP.

K12 has a one class option. Have him take the placement test or register for one class level down. I have heard the 8th is more like a high school level.

Mother of Divine Grace offers some services where your student works with a teacher (described here). This is Laura Berquist's organization. I haven't used any of their services, but would strongly consider doing so if I wanted to outsource some upper-level courses.

Another one I've heard of is Hewitt Homeschooling Resources, where students enroll in a class and have their papers graded & returned via email.

HTH!

Dd just finished Potters School English 2. Excellent class. Tons of work. I couldn't be happier with all of our TPS classes over the years. Mrs. Frederick is an amazing English teacher.

My son had Mrs. Frederick for English 1 last year. He is going to be in her English 2 class next year. He really liked her.