Menu

Guess what we found!

grace'smom

We just found a nest of baby rabbits in our yard! Or burrow, I guess you would call it. What a learning opportunity!

However, do you guys think the mother will come back? DH was mowing the lawn and I guess it scared her away. No one touched them, but DH did move some grass aside with his hand at first to find out what he'd run over (he didn't hurt any of them, luckily). Then he got a stick to brush some grass aside to find out if it was one lone lost rabbit or if it was a nest.

Here are some pics: www.givingourbest.blogspot.com

Edited by grace'smom
spelling correction

Don't move them. Mothers often leave babies during the day and go back at evening. The wild life lady told us the most important thing is don't take them out, it would be very doubtful a mother would not come back unless she gets killed out there. Just watch and when the sun goes down she will be back.

So you don't think it's a problem that we were standing around it? Also, our very old beagle/hound mix hangs out in the yard too. She may be able to sniff them out, but she wouldn't eat them or anything. We were wondering why the rabbit would have made a nest there, but then we remembered our neighbor saying she destroyed a rabbit nest in her garden last week. So maybe the rabbit had to make a nest in a hurry and our yard was just there?

We've also got raccoons who ate the eggs from a bird nest on our back porch a month or so ago. Not that we could do anything about it, but do you think they'd disturb the rabbits?

So you don't think it's a problem that we were standing around it? Also' date=' our very old beagle/hound mix hangs out in the yard too. She may be able to sniff them out, but she wouldn't eat them or anything. We were wondering why the rabbit would have made a nest there, but then we remembered our neighbor saying she destroyed a rabbit nest in her garden last week. So maybe the rabbit had to make a nest in a hurry and our yard was just there?

We've also got raccoons who ate the eggs from a bird nest on our back porch a month or so ago. Not that we could do anything about it, but do you think they'd disturb the rabbits?[/quote']

No standing sround wouldn't do anything. The dog may disturb them. Rabbits make nest anywhere they can. We lived in the city in a college neighborhood when we found ours. I don't know about racoons though.

Other animals might eat the baby rabbits, but you messing with the nest shouldn't be an issue to the mother. They are away from the nest almost all the time. They only come back to feed the babies, then they leave to avoid attracting attention and predators.

I'd keep the dog away, and let the mama do her thing.

We just found a nest of baby rabbits in our yard! Or burrough' date=' I guess you would call it. What a learning opportunity!

However, do you guys think the mother will come back? DH was mowing the lawn and I guess it scared her away. No one touched them, but DH did move some grass aside with his hand at first to find out what he'd run over (he didn't hurt any of them, luckily). Then he got a stick to brush some grass aside to find out if it was one lone lost rabbit or if it was a nest.

Here are some pics: www.givingourbest.blogspot.com

Isn't it spelled burrow ? English is not my 1st language so maybe I am wrong .

They are cute.