Menu

Synge's Story of the World Series??

Does anyone use these for logic stage spines? What do you think about them? Do you have your students read it alone or do you read it together? Do you have them outline from it? Anything else you want to share?

I've scheduled the librivox.org recordings from "On the Shores of the Great Sea," but I don't expect those to be the spine for this fall in Logic Stage Ancients. I just expect to ask how Synge's version of history differs from "Story of Mankind" or "Little History of the World." It's all audio for us and we would be able to discuss while driving everywhere we go each week.

The spine? SOTW and KHE. I'm paying pretty close attention to what is used on the schedule posted in Satorismiles blog. It's her grammar stage list, but my questions are based on the logic stage recommendations from WTM. I've only printed the first 11 weeks, but my draft includes all the weeks. I have so much to do in the next month. You are so wise to start a year out.

I've also referred to http://greenapplesblush.blogspot.com/2010/12/fifth-grade-ancient-historyliterature.html and be incredibly grateful for her wisdom.

Edited by dee67p
left out the other link for info.

I am using Synge with dd8 as a read-aloud. I really like the way it incorporates Bible history.

I think it could be used very well as an independent read for the logic stage. The back of my copy from Yesterday's Classics says it is for "ages 11 and up".

Thanks guys! I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic stage now, because I'll be buying all our materials when I'm back in the States this December. I'm thinking about having her read KHE and outlining from that. Then we would have a spine book to read together and then we would discuss the spine and KHE. I'll have her write one to two 3-4 sentence summaries on the WTM topics (such as famous men & woman, wars, daily life and so on) introduced in the two sources. Then I'll have her do the Knowledge Quest Maps that I already own and timeline figures from Homeschooling in the Woods. Ideally I'd like a spine series that we can stick with for the 4 years and that she can eventually read on her own as we move towards more indpendence. I'd love something that includes questions and tests as it would make my job easier, but I'm open to planning it all out. We've already done SOTW for grammar stage, so I'm not sure that I want to repeat it. Sigh...decisions, decisions...at least I know what we are doing for science ;).