Menu

If you missed the Valley Forge conference...

Aw, I wish I had attended after hearing you all chat about how fun it was! It never would dawn on me to go to a homeschooling conference, but hearing both SWB and MCT plus meeting you all would make it the type of conference I'd like to attend!

Yes, I started MCT a few months ago with my daughter who is 6 but does language arts work in the 3rd-4th grade level. She just loves grammar and writing. I originally intended to take it slowly, but it seems just perfect for her.

Next conference like this I definitely want to attend.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I agree, too. This really felt like a professional in-service. They spoke to us as if we were intelligent people. There are some speakers who treat these types of workshops like pep rallies or something. I wasn't looking for rah-rah, I was looking for practical information and a sharing of knowledge. I was not disappointed in the least.

I agree, too. This really felt like a professional in-service. They spoke to us as if we were intelligent people. There are some speakers who treat these types of workshops like pep rallies or something. I wasn't looking for rah-rah, I was looking for practical information and a sharing of knowledge. I was not disappointed in the least.

And that is exactly what I needed and received from the conference. If RFWP can continue in that vein, I will attend everything they sponsor.

My facebook status on returning home was "Back from two invigorating and exhausting days of professional development as a homeschooling parent, courtesy of Royal Fireworks Press, Michael Clay Thompson and Susan Wise Bauer." I doubt I would have written a similar status after one of those gigantic "homeschooling" conventions.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Wanted to add...

What I loved most was that for pretty much the first time in my homeschooling "career" I felt I was being taken seriously for what I'm doing.

:iagree:

:iagree:Totally!

And that is exactly what I needed and received from the conference. If RFWP can continue in that vein, I will attend everything they sponsor.

:iagree:

What I loved most was that for pretty much the first time in my homeschooling "career" I felt I was being taken seriously for what I'm doing.

This really felt like a professional in-service. They spoke to us as if we were intelligent people.

I attended the 2009 WTM Anniversary conference in Williamsburg, and this was EXACTLY how I felt about it. It made me feel like a professional, instead of some crazy, lone mother doing this cute little homeschool project and hoping it would "work."

I wish I could have gotten myself to this one. Sounds like it was possibly even better than the 2009 event! :D Smaller? Did I read somewhere that there were only around 100 people? Boy, you could get a lot accomplished with a smaller group!

I've been meaning to say "thank you" to those of you who offered, a couple of months ago, to help me get there, by offering rides from New England and places for me to stay overnight. I tried to pm some of you, but inboxes were full and then I forgot. Just know that I was very grateful for all the offers. Who knows, maybe next year in CT. I could use another one of these conferences.

What about putting up text on the screen for all of us to outline and then rewrite from the outline and then have a discussion of what we came up with? THen we can ask those questions we've been asking here, "What do you do when DC simply puts the outline into paragraph form?" "Should we or how to get DC to expand their text from the outline?"

I asked her that exact question in the last session. :lol: The answer is yes you tell them that each point needs X amount of sentences.

Oooo, I'd like to hear more about this, if anyone can share! I posted a question about this a few weeks ago!

I wish I could have gotten myself to this one. Sounds like it was possibly even better than the 2009 event! :D Smaller? Did I read somewhere that there were only around 100 people? Boy, you could get a lot accomplished with a smaller

Colleen, I wish I could have been there as well! Next one that fits this criteria, you and I will be there, deal? :) What are the odds we could BEG PHP to have another next year or at least something like this one seems to have been? ;)

It was so nice to meet so many lovely people. It feels funny to try and communicate on line because, well, it's not the same. My family really enjoyed the conference. We loved listening to SWB after using her books from the beginning! Of course my new best friend is Osmosis' Mom's darling daughter! :D

Actually when I saw the info on this, we were on our way to Puerto Rico for my husband's conference and Continuing Education (CE). At the same time my best friend was on the way to Florida for her professional CE conference. When I told her I was going to VF, 'by myself' she was confused how I could go to a hs coference without my son. I explained it as "Homeschool mom CE." She totally got it then.

Since then that was how I explained it to everyone:

"Homeschool Mom Continuing Education"

I like the sound of that!

It was so nice to meet so many lovely people. It feels funny to try and communicate on line because, well, it's not the same. My family really enjoyed the conference. We loved listening to SWB after using her books from the beginning! Of course my new best friend is Osmosis' Mom's darling daughter! :D

Starr, I loved meeting your amazing family and enjoyed the talks both with you and your dh. How cool that we almost crossed paths 10 years ago... It was actually funny how Jumanah became silly about walking around with you! She also went ga-ga over Autmn Oak's boys, seeing as she was missing her siblings!

Okay, my turn.

First off -- confession. I loved meeting so many of you, but I still felt sort of awkward, like I didn't fit in or whatever you want to call it. I am sure it was all me. I am a strange introvert. Sometimes I felt like I should have just been home with my family. :001_unsure: I think I was just so envious of how so many people seemed to have it so together. I also don't do "early to bed and early to rise" very well. ;)

Second confession. I was concerned when I found out someone was sleeping in the room next to mine because I was wondering how in the world I could get away with tying up the bathroom for so long. It takes forever for me to comb my hair, and with the water temp ranging from scalding to freezing, I felt even more concern. I ended up meeting, however, one of the most gracious women ever. Shame on me for wondering if she would wake me up in the middle of the night by making loud noises! I completely loved meeting you!

Thank you, Divya (I am sure I just spelled your name wrong and I am so sorry) -- thank you for the ride to the restaurant. It was lovely talking with you. I really did enjoy talking to so many of you.

Oh, I also loved that the dining hall had so many vegetarian choices. :D

I am glad I listened to Susan's talks on high school, because I needed a good kick in the rear to remind me of where I am going with the boys. After 11 years of this, I just feel tired. Add to that the fact that our eldest is struggling in OCS, and I feel like a wreck right now. I poured so much into him, and I am so worried about him right now. I need a reminder that this is all worth it. Sometimes I feel like I don't know what in the world I am doing.

One thing I am sure of. I love learning along with my boys, and I truly love doing this thing called homeschooling. And yet, it's so hard to hold everything else together and meet my expectations.

I bought MCT's poetry and word roots because my boys LOVE poetry, and I was an English major who loved digging deeply into these things. I think we'll have fun looking for the patterns in poetry. I also love root studies. My boys and I discuss these things often. So, I am so glad I heard such a talented man speak.

As for Susan, I am thankful (as I said) to be reminded of where we are headed but also to be reminded that I am homeschooling real children. I could relate to so much that she said (esp. the yelling part), and I needed a reminder that they are little kids. You'd think I would know that consider I do have a TWENTY-ONE year old, but I confess, I am scared and worried. My kids mean the world to me, and I so often feel that I am failing in some way.

I bet most of us don't have it together Dawn. :) It was a pleasure to meet you and I'm glad you came! I almost talked myself out of going at the last minute and my family kept telling me how much I wanted to go. And dd was looking forward to meeting up with a friend in Philly so she was very supportive. lol

See now I never would have thought in a million years that you were the shy type! So maybe you aren't as shy as you think?

:blush:

Yes, I was actually chuckling secretly because there was nothing shy about my friend Jen. She is extremely confident and one of the most polite people I have met and it was great chatting with her and learning a few new things along the way.

Hehe, didn't I warn you that once I start talking I don't shut up?:D

Such a great time! It really was nice to be treated like a professional. I love Renthead Mommy's idea of it being continuing education for hs moms.

I can't wait for the next one!

Colleen, I wish I could have been there as well! Next one that fits this criteria, you and I will be there, deal? :)

Deal!! I loved meeting you two years ago! And your cool red purse, lol! I'll have my eye on the CT one next year. But it would be better to go to a smaller event (like the house conferences I lobbied so hard for to come to NS!!!).

It's supposed to be silent? :001_huh: I think I broke that rule quite a bit.

She said hers aren't always silent so I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. :tongue_smilie: I seriously contemplated just walking up and hugging her when she described "going global." I do that all. the. time. I just thought I was a mean, horrible mama who was scaring my kids for life and giving them low self-esteem. Such a relief to know that it's normal but I also appreciated the reminder to not do that. ;) My goal for this year is to keep those global diatribes in my head so that I can tell myself to shut up and stop it. Much much easier than apologizing to the kids and wondering if this was the incident that finally ruined their psyches.

:lol:

I'm pretty darn good at going global too. :leaving:

You know those wall words things? I want a nice, pretty script one that says "Don't Go Global." I might even tattoo it on my forearm. Ok so it would probably be a temporary tattoo because I'm not nearly cool enough for a real one but you know what I mean. :D

At the risk of sounding totally out of the loop, which I am, what conference? And who is MCT?

Apparently there was a homeschooling conference at Valley Forge.

MCT = Michael Clay Thompson, author of a particular language arts program

She said hers aren't always silent so I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. :tongue_smilie: I seriously contemplated just walking up and hugging her when she described "going global." I do that all. the. time. I just thought I was a mean, horrible mama who was scaring my kids for life and giving them low self-esteem. Such a relief to know that it's normal but I also appreciated the reminder to not do that. ;) My goal for this year is to keep those global diatribes in my head so that I can tell myself to shut up and stop it. Much much easier than apologizing to the kids and wondering if this was the incident that finally ruined their psyches.

I'm right there w/ you. Going global is what I need to work on! There are also days I don't make it to the bathroom and the mute button was not pushed in regards to screaming. If it were not for CaptUhura being so patient with me and allowing me to vent ON A DAILY BASIS! Ever heard of good cop/bad cop? My kids like to play Good Kid/Bad Kid and reverse roles. I swear they have this conspiracy to wear me out.