Menu

If you missed the Valley Forge conference...

...you should be kicking yourself right now!

It was really fabulous. I am so glad that I was able to be there and to glean so much knowledge from two people who have really helped me to shape my vision for homeschooling. SWB was great, it was such a pleasure to hear her speak. She may not feel like talking again for another week, but she shared such a wealth of information with us! MCT was just amazing. Now I completely understand why he can't be videotaped. You have to see him in person to get the full effect of his presentations.

And last (but by no means least), it was so great to be able to meet a number of WTMers, especially some like Cleo and OsmosisMom with whom I go waaaaaay back on these boards!

If they ever do a conference like this again, do not hesitate to register. In fact, make your cousin reschedule her wedding or let your family eat beans for a month or skip your local convention...whatever it takes!

And a special thanks to our own Capt_Uhura, for all of your hard work. We are all so grateful for your efforts! :grouphug:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was really fabulous. I am so glad that I was able to be there and to glean so much knowledge from two people who have really helped me to shape my vision for homeschooling. SWB was great, it was such a pleasure to hear her speak. She may not feel like talking again for another week, but she shared such a wealth of information with us! MCT was just amazing. Now I completely understand why he can't be videotaped. You have to see him in person to get the full effect of his presentations.

And last (but by no means least), it was so great to be able to meet a number of WTMers, especially some like Cleo and OsmosisMom with whom I go waaaaaay back on these boards!

If they ever do a conference like this again, do not hesitate to register. In fact, make your cousin reschedule her wedding or let your family eat beans for a month or skip your local convention...whatever it takes!

And a special thanks to our own Capt_Uhura, for all of your hard work. We are all so grateful for your efforts! :grouphug:

:iagree:

I have been mostly a lurker here, but this conference was so wonderful, it makes me want to be much more a part of the boards. (Hence the post at 2:05 am after driving back from the conference.)

For reference, I'm the one who had the two children and one baby with me.

MCT was truly stupendous -- he is an incredibly gifted speaker. He actually brought me to tears a few times!

So yes, I agree - do what ever you have to do to participate in the next conference!

:iagree: I had an amazing time! I'm ready to start the new school year NOW! lol! :tongue_smilie:

Ditto to what everyone else said.

I wish I had had the energy to socialize more. The small amounts I did were nice, and I met some *fabulous* people, but my brain struggles with switching back and forth between "academic" and "social", so I was a bit exhausted, lol.

This was nothing like the (only) big convention I've been to. It was much more in depth and personal.

I think I was expecting a lot of cheerleading and confirmation that WTM/Classic ed was "where it's at", and there was a satisfying amount of that, but I also came away with gentle reminders and reprimands (No, it isn't okay when my 8yo cries over math, and we need to do something about that) as well as clarifications and explanations for my "worry zones" (Yes, my teenaged aspie CAN do literary analysis on an appropriate level.)

Having listened to many of SWBs tapings, I did wonder how much this could add. Well, it was a lot. And hearing MCT for the first time was, ahem, the bomb diggity.

I, too, was almost brought to tears multiple times.

My kids are doing well. My kids will continue to do well. The big picture is back in focus.

If only someone had provided a thumb drive to stick in my ear so I could stick all of this in a spot safer than my leaky brain!

Yes, it was fun and inspiring. Not just to hear some speakers who know their art, but to soak in the buzz of being around so many mothers who sacrifice so much for their kids' education while still trying to improve what they are doing.

It was interesting to chat a bit with people you have crossed path with online for years. Only regret is of course that time was so limited (and even moreso when taking Ms. Jumanah's needs into consideration). But it's all good.

I actually did miss you, Jeri, as well as a couple other people whom it would have been cool to meet. Instead then I truly enjoyed meeting and chatting -even casually so- with a few people and actually felt an instant bond with Anj, New England Classic, Luckymama, YellowPerch and my travel companion (and patient and enduring airport guide!) Jen + 4dc. I would have loved to hang out more with my skirt-twin Tahara, not to mention Nest of 3 and Environmom (well, OK, we did hang out a bit and bonded over our wonderful babies' need to chat and sing during lectures, hehe). I so appreciated the kindness of Tracey who brought me dinner (along with another friend whose name I didn't catch), and of course the interesting conversation I had with Starr and her family. And all my other new acquaintances incl. people whose names I forgot to take down. It's a lot to meet 50+ board members and instantly feel quizzed about whom they are :tongue_smilie:.

Fun, fun.

Personally then I was re-affirmed that nature studies are cool and that it is time we put a re-emphasis on getting out together. I am feeling a lot more confident in my knowledge and interaction with the wild that 13 years ago and am looking forward to doing this a couple of times weekly. For anyone who hasn't read Laurel Hodge's new nature book; it is a wonderful read and very well-written. MCT is inspiring in his dedication to the English language and works of lasting quality )aka classics). I bought the level I was out to buy as well as a couple of his books on pedagogical and philosophical thoughts about classics and education. Great read so far. About his new literature series, then I would personally not invest in it, but instead keep on reading aloud and doing discussions (informally) as the kids continue reading their literature (as well as the options I give them). I suspect some of us would lose confidence if relying on his lay-out, but that's just me. I also thought it was over-priced and that buying into it would be way too costly. SWB has evolved a bit in her lectures in my opinion (for those who have listened to her years ago). Less rigid (if that is a polite word to use) about the exact method and with a verbalized understanding that her suggestions might not work for all learners (obviously, but something some people perhaps have not always realised until in hindsight). She is an engaging speaker and great at taking questions and rolling with the audience's expectations and needs. She even endured a little baby singing (very tiny bit :lol:) so we were all happy! I know a few people thoroughly enjoyed Sheelagh Gallagher's talks (and hope we can get an idea of what they were about). I also had fun meeting Tom and how kind wife. Of course it was amazing to meet our Captain Uhura who impressed me a lot actually. Nice gal.

Looking forward to going another time. Perhaps -and preferably- at a location that is easier to reach, but hopefully still intense and intimate like this one.

I had such a wonderful time! I felt so shy and anxious about going, so I am very grateful to JumpingInPuddles, RentheadMommy, skueppers, junepep, enviromommy, carrie1234, and everyone else who went out of their way to be friendly to me.

The program was kind of grueling (my brain was so full by the time we got to the curriculum show-and-tell, I could barely process what I was seeing!) but it was so very inspiring. I LOVED Susan's talk about "homeschooling the real child" - it was so funny and so humane! And I think I would probably enjoy hearing MCT talk about the phone book. His presentations got me really excited about teaching language arts.

It was very kind of the college to turn their coffee shop over to us so that we'd have a place to hang out and socialize, but for next time, they need to know that if they're hosting a conference for 100 women they can't send housekeeping home on Friday afternoon and not restock the ladies' room for the rest of the weekend. ;)

And I think I would probably enjoy hearing MCT talk about the phone book.

MCT was awesome! He is such a great speaker. I was so moved. I called my husband and said "Honey, if I don't come home, it's because I ran off to be a groupie of the Grammar Guy." Whether you use MCT or not, if you EVER get a chance to see Michael Clay Thompson speak, you must do so. He is FABULOUS!

Laurel Dodge was great and it was her first conference! I love her book. I loved her slides and nature table. Wasn't she wonderful?

I learned a lot from Shelia Gallagher's first lecture. I can see us applying that lesson pretty soon. I wanted to see the second one but I had to get on road. As it was, I had to pull over and have my husband come get me to finish driving me home. Wah! I was only 30 minutes from home but I was swerving.

SWB was good too but of course that goes without saying. I really liked looking at Writing with Skill.

Thanks to Tom at RWFP and Capt Uhura!

It was so good to meet everyone. I have known CaptUhura for years but it was nice to meet Jumping in Puddles, Luckymama, Anj, Melissa, Starr, Nestof3, TJLufkin, Rentmom, Cleo, and so many more.

Edited by AuntPol

What a wonderful weekend!

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to meet many of the WTMers. (I think had we arrived Thursday night an participated in dinner that would have been different)

I could not be happier with the experience. Listening to MCT speak was truly inspiring. He had me hanging on his every word from the edge of my seat. He was just that good.

SWB's talks were enlightening on many levels. I really enjoyed How to Read a Book and Homeschooling the Real Child. I gleaned so many good ideas and her statement about thinking of your child as a human being vs. a problem really hit home and is causing some deep reflection on my part.

I am so happy that I was able to attend and that this was my first ever homeschool conference. It left me uplifted, excited, and much to my kids dismay ready for summer break to be over to start implementing all of these new ideas. :D

Thank you to Tom @ RFWP for picking up the pieces and creating this wonderful experience and thank you to SWB & MCT for giving so generously of their time and knowledge.

I also have to agree... this conference was refreshing, inspiring and encouraging... and the encouragement was a by-product of what the speakers were doing!

It's not like some other conferences I have attended where 80% of the workshops are set up to "encourage" -- while the education information is pretty much left to the convention floor. We went there to learn from excellent teachers and BECAME encouraged because they have made implementing curriculum plans almost effortless.

Of course, I'm about $600 poorer after the convention... but I wouldn't trade the past two days for anything.

Lastly, my mother went with me, expecting to be dissapointed -- and so very inspired by MCT and SWB, her desire to study herself (and many NEW ideas of how she could help her 23 homeschooled grandchildren achieve excellence.)

Thank you to all who organized and participated! It was wonderful talking to so many of you, and I'm looking forward to this type of convention growing to include even more...

:iagree::iagree::iagree: IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

I wished I could have stayed both days, but alas, it was not to be.

I did LOVE my one day!

*anj*, I can't believe we only managed to meet for 5 minutes in front of the restroom! How come we didn't see each other more? Where were you????

Now I'm stuck with faces, real names, board names, and avatars, and trying to remember who's who. I'm bad at this. But I loved meeting everyone! MCT impressed me quite a bit. I didn't know him at all, nor his program.

SWB left me speechless for the most part. Woah, we have so much work to do in high school. Poor kid won't know what hit him!

:crying::crying::crying:

It truly was amazing. I was not prepared for how amazing and dynamic a speaker MCT is. I totally bought into his perspective on language arts and the classics (both figuratively and literally--I'm so broke now!). Shelagh Gallagher was a surprise win as well--she was funny and enjoyable, and her problem-solving exercises will definitely be a part of our homeschool in the coming year(s). And as expected, it was a huge thrill to meet Susan and hear her speak. I got to pick her brain on several issues that have been bothering me, and having her advice means so much to me.

I got to hang out with anj, someone I rarely see even though she lives within walking distance! AuntPol and I had a good, long commiseration over our crazy daughters :willy_nilly::smash: Justamouse, were your ears burning? JumpingInPuddles and I were talking about you :D I'll be coming to hang out at the lake sometime soon! OsmosisMom's and EnviroMommy's babies were SOOOO sweet, and EnviroMommy's older two were so polite and funny and well-behaved, they made me sorry I didn't bring my DD8 *sigh*

There were so many people I loved meeting and chatting with and hanging out with (tjlufkin, Jumping In Puddles, Anj, AuntPol, Nadia, Carrie, the awesome Capt_Uhura, EnviroMommy, Rivka, LuckyMama, Jen + 4dc, Tahara, and more), and so many people I wanted to meet and hang out with and just didn't manage to or didn't have time to (how did I miss meeting yellowperch? matroyshka? and too many others?!). I really, really hope there will be a second time for this kind of thing. It was awesome on so many levels.

ETA: I realized I forgot my shout out for Laurel (our own Kalmia)! Her nature study session was like a breath of fresh air for a subject for which I have the best of intentions and the poorest implementation *sigh* She basically gave us permission to just GET OUT AND DO IT without having to be completely prepared in advance with journals and lesson plans and schedules and... That was such a revelation for my linear, type-A brain! And her book is the same thing in print :001_wub:

Edited by melissel

Hello All,

Thank you for your kind words. I had such a wonderful, crazy, busy time at the conference. It's all kind of a blur. And when I'm caffeine, since I don't normally drink coffee or caffeinated drinks, I tend to get hyper and full of nervous energy. :001_huh: The experience of meeting my WTM peeps is beyond words. I'm still associating faces w/ board names. I'm simply exhausted but I feel empowered to start the next HS year due to all of you, SWB, and MCT. And lucky me, I get Laurel everyday. :001_smile:

If you get a moment, please send me a PM and tell me what you liked about the conference and what you would change so we can make these events even better.

Capt Uhura

Hello All,

Thank you for your kind words. I had such a wonderful, crazy, busy time at the conference. It's all kind of a blur. And when I'm caffeine, since I don't normally drink coffee or caffeinated drinks, I tend to get hyper and full of nervous energy. :001_huh: The experience of meeting my WTM peeps is beyond words. I'm still associating faces w/ board names. I'm simply exhausted but I feel empowered to start the next HS year due to all of you, SWB, and MCT. And lucky me, I get Laurel everyday. :001_smile:

If you get a moment, please send me a PM and tell me what you liked about the conference and what you would change so we can make these events even better.

Capt Uhura

Capt Uhura, is there really a plan to do more of these? Anj and I were talking about whether it was worth the time and effort for RFWP and SWB to have done this for us. We truly, truly hoped that it was, but I know it could very well have been a labor of love too. I'll be happy-dancing all over the house if there are plans to keep this up. I'd even be happy to travel up to where RFWP is located to get to do this again. Heck, I'd be happy to travel halfway across the country to do it again! :lol:

Well, I asked Tom and he said if we want it, he'll do it. Please post your feedback at the RFWP facebook page. Tell him what you would like to see. Unfortunately, due to the lack of available conference space, we were unable to get other vendors or speakers. There were other speakers from the NOrtheast Conference who wanted to come but there wasn't the space.

I know I wasn't anticipating how exhausting the conference would be. Also, given that I only averaged about 4hrs of sleep each night over 4days, that likely was a contributing factor. But now I wish I had more time with all of YOU!!!

Dr. K (Tom) said several times about how wonderful you all were. You were so understanding about the very late registration. It was a first conference for him and so there are certainly details to be worked out for next time but personally, I think it was a huge success and I hope there are others. I know there was talk about doing this in other parts of the country as well as planning another for Valley Forge next year. The Northeast HS convention will be in Conn, I believe.

Capt Uhura

Oh my goodness, where to start????

First the informal:

It was amazing to be with so many kindred spirits. Honestly, I felt like I've known some of you for ages and ages and ages and that you would be my best girlfriends if we lived in the same area :001_smile: No matter how our backgrounds differ, we are cut from the same cloth.

Talking and talking and laughing and talking some more and then hugging goodbye :grouphug:

The book and curriculum sharing time was invaluable. I have a thing about perusing a book before I purchase it----Amazon "look inside" just doesn't cut it for me. Thanks to everyone who dragged boxes of books from home! Good gravy Diviya, I want to go to your house and live in your library :D

I was so surprised to learn that two homeschoolers I know irl are schooling classically. I will be joining that DE yahoo list asap (thanks guys for the link).

You NJ peeps, please pm me when you plan a get-together! I will drive north :auto:

And the formal:

MCT literally had me leaning forward in my seat even when I was absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep. I have never known anyone so passionate about poetics and grammar. I attended all of his talks and now fully understand the integration of his program. Reading about the various books on the boards gave me such an incomplete picture---I was shocked about how little I truly understood. I have been assimilated ;)

SWB was so straight-forward and funny and reassuring all at once. I'm not a longtime WTMer with only one year of homeschooling under my belt so I really can't say that much about her talks in relation to her various books and curricula. I must say that the talks on literary analysis and reading a book were incredibly helpful for me. It's ok to just talk about what we read at this point---and it turns out I've been asking the correct types of questions all along. Yay me :D Even though I'm not homeschooling a highschooler, I will be using the points from her high school writing talk when helping my dd16 through her writing process.

I think academically-focused events such as this one address a great need in the homeschooling community. I will attend any future events. I will drive, I will fly, I will do whatever it takes. Thank you to all who planned and organized :grouphug:

I feel very disjointed right now so I hope all that makes sense. Dh threw me a surprise birthday party this morning after church! At our house! My sister and dbil set everything up! Such a nice ending to a fantastic three days.

It was amazing to be with so many kindred spirits. Honestly, I felt like I've known some of you for ages and ages and ages and that you would be my best girlfriends if we lived in the same area :001_smile: No matter how our backgrounds differ, we are cut from the same cloth.

Talking and talking and laughing and talking some more and then hugging goodbye :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree:

You NJ peeps, please pm me when you plan a get-together! I will drive north :auto:

Yes! Please PM me as well b/c I will be there!!!!!!

I think academically-focused events such as this one address a great need in the homeschooling community. I will attend any future events. I will drive, I will fly, I will do whatever it takes. Thank you to all who planned and organized :grouphug:

:iagree:

I feel very disjointed right now so I hope all that makes sense. Dh threw me a surprise birthday party this morning after church! At our house! My sister and dbil set everything up! Such a nice ending to a fantastic three days.

Happy Birthday Luckymama!!! While reading your post, I can see your lovely face. I am so teary eyed right now. I have no sense of HS community where I live. But I definitely felt like part of a community at the conference. I felt like I have known many of you for ages. I wish there had been more time! I'm so sorry I had to miss dinner. There aren't many Hsers w/in 40min of me, and those that are further away, tend to be unschoolers. Fortunately, I've added two WTMers to my not-so-local peeps....just have to get myself out of the house more often to meet up with them.

It was just such a phenomenal 2 days. I feel like SWB's son when she asked him about The Once and Future King. It was just....WOW...amazing....

when can we do it again? :001_smile:

Capt Uhura

when can we do it again? :001_smile:

Capt Uhura

Please do it somewhere I can drive to within a day! I'm willing to drive far, but there's a limit. Valley Forge was somewhat at my limit. Twelve hours to come back, and that was because I had no traffic or road work! It was a long ride, but I really want to do this again!

Please do it somewhere I can drive to within a day! I'm willing to drive far, but there's a limit. Valley Forge was somewhat at my limit. Twelve hours to come back, and that was because I had no traffic or road work! It was a long ride, but I really want to do this again!

You certainly won the distance award and I'm so happy you came!!! It was fun shopping with you! Who would have thought we'd be shopping together? :lol:

Well, I asked Tom and he said if we want it, he'll do it. Please post your feedback at the RFWP facebook page. Tell him what you would like to see. Unfortunately, due to the lack of available conference space, we were unable to get other vendors or speakers.

Dr. K (Tom) said several times about how wonderful you all were. You were so understanding about the very late registration. It was a first conference for him and so there are certainly details to be worked out for next time but personally, I think it was a huge success and I hope there are others. I know there was talk about doing this in other parts of the country as well as planning another for Valley Forge next year. The Northeast HS convention will be in Conn, I believe.

Capt Uhura

I m so jealous of you all--I want to see MCT and SWB, and I want to meet you ladies too. Can I respectfully request a non-Eastern location next year? I am willing to drive, but 20 hours is just too much. ;) thanks for considering!

I knew I was missing something spectacular. Next year!

Justamouse... there's always next year! I hope Melissel does come up for a day trip... Carrie1234 too :D

I was so bummed to miss Saturday, but Friday was inspirational and it was so nice meeting you all! Does anyone want to share their notes about the MCT lecture on how to implement the program? :bigear:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I loved this conference. Initially, I was very disappointed that the North East convention was canceled. But this conference was exactly what I needed. I loved the academic focus and I walked away encouraged and feeling renewed...not how I normally feel about homeschooling at the end of June. :tongue_smilie:

Pretty much all of SWB's talks were ones I've heard before. I've been reading the book for YEARS (since my dd11 was a baby!) and yet her words resonated with me in a fresh way. I took ideas away that I either hadn't heard before or had forgotten. MCT was great. I don't use his materials but I appreciated what he had to say.

It would be great to attend another conference like this one. It was truly a community of like-minded people. It felt purposeful.

Carolyn

I am so glad you all had a great time. :D

At least now you understand why some of us are such MCT fans. ;)

I really feel like something between the talks and the website is lost. I WANT to get it, but I just don't. :confused:

Need to talk to you all!

I m so jealous of you all--I want to see MCT and SWB, and I want to meet you ladies too. Can I respectfully request a non-Eastern location next year? I am willing to drive, but 20 hours is just too much. ;) thanks for considering!

:iagree: Us California folks are wishing for a chance too... :001_smile:

I rushed home from the conference, briefly reconnected with the family, then got up at 5:30 this AM to run to Maryland, spent the day with my daughter's BFF and her mama, then drove back to Jersey. I am completely fried so my post will be extremely lacking. lol!

Like everyone else, I enjoyed myself thoroughly and am still floating on Cloud 9. :D I had a tremendous time getting to know you guys and already miss you!! I'm looking forward to a NJ/DE get together of some sort very soon. Let's all look at our calendars and put our heads together.

I got so much encouragement and information. I loved MCT's passionate talks but really got confirmation that WTM is the best fit for our family. I felt like a sponge soaking up Susan's info and then had to remind myself not to act like a creepy groupie. I'm not sure how successful I was at that. :lol: My daughter has two BFFs that are highly gifted and I live with a certain degree of continuous anxiety because my daughter is no where near them. Susan's talks made me feel 10,000 pounds lighter and I'm really grateful beyond words for that. I would be even more grateful if she would rent Jessie out to me just once in awhile when I'm on the threshold of "going global" but that was a big no-go when I asked. lol!

I'm thrilled at the idea of another Valley Forge and the house conferences that PHP has been talking about. I'm ready to start the new school year NOW while everything is still fresh! I'm not sure there's enough chocolate in the world to bribe the kids into agreeing to that though. ;)

I was so bummed to miss Saturday, but Friday was inspirational and it was so nice meeting you all! Does anyone want to share there notes about the MCT lecture on how to implement the program? :bigear:

Justamouse... there's always next year! I hope Melissel does come up for a day trip... Carrie1234 too :D

MCT's implementation talk - It was the first time he had ever given it and here is what I gleaned.

The Grammar book is front loaded meant to be done in the 1st 4-6 weeks.

You then continue with practice island, town, or voyage for the rest of the year. One sentence 3x per week.

Once they know parts of speech you start vocab. Do this 2x per week.

Also start writing after Grammar is done. - 2 days per week

Add in class reading and child chosen reading. I don't have it written down in my notes but I believe the diagram showed one new book every 3-4 weeks.

Poetics - add in wherever there is space 1 x per week.

I'm a complete newbie, but I'm totally jealous! It sounds like it was a wonderful experience. I looked into going once I found out about it on this forum, but I had to shoot a wedding on Friday, so I definitely couldn't make it.

I would love to go next year if there is one!

My notes from the implementation talk are below :001_smile:

MCT's implementation talk - It was the first time he had ever given it and here is what I gleaned.

You then continue with practice island, town, or voyage for the rest of the year. One sentence 3x per week.

Once they know parts of speech you start vocab. Do this 2x per week. Remember this isn't after the grammar book is finished, just the parts of speech portion!

Add in class reading and child chosen reading. I don't have it written down in my notes but I believe the diagram showed one new book every 3-4 weeks. He also said in the literature talk to not spend more than one week discussing each book.

Poetics - add in wherever there is space 1 x per week. Or you could even do poetics as a block.

The practice book exercises can be done orally, as written work, as warm-up exercises, as "homework" after classtime----however you wish them to be done.

Remember to always discuss the parts of speech while studying vocabulary.

Read classic books every month, both in-class assigned books and child-chosen outside-of-class books.

Once they know parts of speech you start vocab. Do this 2x per week.

Add in class reading and child chosen reading. I don't have it written down in my notes but I believe the diagram showed one new book every 3-4 weeks.

Poetics - add in wherever there is space 1 x per week.

One quick thing to add - I went up and asked him afterwards whether it would also work to do one whole book at a time - in other words, finish Grammar, then do the whole vocab book, then the whole writing book, then the whole poetics book. He said he "would have to be given a really good reason why not," though he hadn't thought about it. I probably wouldn't do it in that extreme a way, but I was asking because I'm going a little nuts jumping back and forth with different kids doing a few pages of this, a few of that, and I thought it might calm my ADD down a little to be focused on one thing at a time per kid - sort of the way SWB talked about the block scheduling for the distracted child - finish math for the year, then finish history, etc. So I thought I'd jump in and give that idea.

Also, the slide show on implementing his program is on the RFWP website.

Can I just say AGAIN how much we love this man? My kids are still talking about how amazing he is, and my daughter has decided that she wants to be an English professor or teacher. It was funny, I was in and out of the room because of the baby, so my kids have been filling me in on what I missed. They listened to every word!!