Menu

Science career for ds?

My ds 12, is very interested in science (all science!). He would like to eventually go into one of the science fields for his career. Where can I get some information for him to read/review on what kind of careers there are available in the science fields? I guess he would need to narrow down "what kind of science"? Can anyone give me any direction on how to help him look at what is out there so he can start to explore the different fields of study?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Hot Lava Mama

My ds 12, is very interested in science (all science!). He would like to eventually go into one of the science fields for his career. Where can I get some information for him to read/review on what kind of careers there are available in the science fields? I guess he would need to narrow down "what kind of science"? Can anyone give me any direction on how to help him look at what is out there so he can start to explore the different fields of study?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Hot Lava Mama

Why not try allowing him to read various science topics throughout the yr w/ whole books he selects. Exploring multiple topics is a good way for them to have exposure to what interests and what really doesn't.

A little on the younger side for 12, but this series covers scientists at work:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scientists+in+the+field&sprefix=scientists+in+the+field

My boys really found their passion through reading, etc for school but it turned into pursuits during their free time (oldest engineering......he didn't really decide on chemical until older) and youngest physics.

Hi,

My 13 yo ds will definitely enter a scientific field, but he hasn't yet narrowed it down to which one (although right now the "leader" is meteorology...last year it was astronomy and the year before that it was zoology...;)). So right now, he continues to read and study (much of this on his own) whatever science books and texts he can get his hands on.

My plan this year is to introduce him to lots of different scientists by studying "The History of Science" for his history course. You can read more about this endeavor in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274322

Anyway, my hope is that this course will help him begin to understand more about scientific careers and scientific lives. I think that might help him narrow the field down himself.

I have a science degree myself and I can tell you that no matter what area of science he specializes in, he will need to cover all the science basics both in high school and college. These include: Life Science, Earth Science, Physics and Chemistry. Each of these can also have numerous subcategories (Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, etc) and others are combinations (for example, Biochemistry).

It might be a good exercise for him to begin by making a chart with the basics at the top & research to find subcategories and enter them appropriately on the chart. That way, when something captures his interest, he can see how it relates to the other sciences. Also, I agree with a pp about using the librarian to help with research on career choices, etc. Librarians are an invaluable resource and they love to help!

It's my opinion that there's no need to decide on a specialty at this point. All science majors in college need a strong general science and math background throughout high school and their first year in college. Most scientists don't specialize until at least their Sophomore or Junior year in college and even then it's a "general specialization" (for example, Microbiology). It's not until graduate work that the true specialization emerges (for example, Microbial Molecular Biology).

I hope this helps! Good luck!