Menu

CPO earth science questions

This is for veterans of the program:

#1: bathymetric maps? Did you get some? Fudge it? I don't even see them for sale at the CPO site. I am puzzled.

#2: There are 6 major units in the book. Is it possible to move them a bit? I live in the NE and it makes more sense to do astronomy in the middle of winter when the stars are out earlier. I see that the experiments aren't geared towards star gazing and constellation identification. However, my younger son will be doing a bit of that (as much as a 7 year old can) so it makes sense to let my older son in on the fun.

Will anything bad happen if I finish, say, unit 3, "Introducing Earth" and then jump to unit 6, 'Astronomy' and then go back to unit 4, 'The Changing Earth'? I know it will break up the flow but I am more worried there will be a skill problem. I think it is ok but I would like a bit of affirmation.

And to show my appreciation for your help I wanted to show you this:

http://tinyurl.com/62uqts8

much better than 100$, right? For that price you can get a few and have a physics party!

I have not used CPO Earth Science (though I have their Life Science book). We did Science Explorer Earth Science this past year and I rearranged the order. We did the weather and water stuff (ocean currents and that sort of thing) first, followed by astronomy in the winter, followed by the equivalent of the Introducing Earth section, followed by The Changing Earth. It worked fine, though my son had fairly good background knowledge going into it, so that may have affected our success.

We did CPO Earth Science this year. Even though our school year officially ended in May, we are still finishing up the astronomy chapter. I think you could do it earlier and then jump back into the book with no problem.

Here is the bathymetric map we used http://www.cposcience.com/ga/downloads/08_3%20bathymetric%20map.pdf

I also found a pdf of the latitude longitude map, but I am not sure where I got it. There a lot of good thing right on the CPO website. I also find useful things at school websites which use CPO.