Menu

SOTW2 and History Odyssesy Schedule?

Can someone help a hivemember out? I swear I saw someone's blog or a website that had a schedule with SOTW2 and Pandia Press's History Odyssey. Am I dreaming? I was up to all hours last night looking for it.

I am pretty set on History Odyssey for next year but I need it to be more chronological. I was hoping that by matching it with SOTW I could get an idea of what that looks like.

:bigear:

thanks!

Can someone help a hivemember out? I swear I saw someone's blog or a website that had a schedule with SOTW2 and Pandia Press's History Odyssey. Am I dreaming? I was up to all hours last night looking for it.

I am pretty set on History Odyssey for next year but I need it to be more chronological. I was hoping that by matching it with SOTW I could get an idea of what that looks like.

:bigear:

thanks!

I'm confused. HO uses SOTW as it's spine, so why do you need to match them up? We used HO middle ages this year and loved it. Oh, wait, I think I just got what you meant. You don't want to do them in the order HO has it, but chronological with SOTW chapters? If so, that's pretty easy to do. Each lesson lists the SOTW chapters to be read, so you could just put the pages in order that way.

HO does not use SOTW for logic state history. It uses History of Mankind, which I don't like at all.

I am burning up brain cells right now trying to #1 put HO into SOTW chronological order and #2 then translate that into the Oxford Press Medieval and Early Modern World.

Do you see what trouble I get into when my dh is out of town for a few days? Bad, bad, bad.

Thank you so much for the blog link and all your hard work! I had found SOTW1 but not 2.

I'm tweaking HO too, with help from what another mom on here has done, to make it correspond to a Catholic book I want to use as my logic stage spine and then I'm matching it up, as well with SOTW (and another Catholic spine) for my grammar age kids. I'm finally over half-way done with my plans, but there are times when I think it will never end. But I am very excited about it.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize you meant HO level 2. Can you tell me what you don't like about HOM?

It's very old. I would rather not have to gloss over or have to spend time discussing imperialist language and outdated attitudes. I have an updated and re-updated version so if I get stuck I have an option of using it. But, I think there are better resources out there.

I do appreciate that the author of HO used such an easily available resource. And, I am sure I will use it on occasion.

Guest Taeda Lisa

Where do you purchase K12's Human Odyssey? Is it the same as Spielvogel's? I did a quick search on Amazon and it appeared to be pretty pricey, but I am uncomfortable with using HOM as well and would like something to sub it out with for my 8th grader doing Pandia's Level 2 modern history this fall.

No, it's not the same. I got it used via amazon and I just watched the price until it got reasonable. I think I paid about 25$ for the first one. That one seems to be the most available. The others tend to run higher.

For level 2, modern history I have heard of people using SOTW 4 successfully. It is not written in as narrative a fashion as the first two so it is able to be outlined.

I'm tweaking HO too, with help from what another mom on here has done, to make it correspond to a Catholic book I want to use as my logic stage spine and then I'm matching it up, as well with SOTW (and another Catholic spine) for my grammar age kids. I'm finally over half-way done with my plans, but there are times when I think it will never end. But I am very excited about it.

I'm doing the same thing. I need to add a Catholic perspective to the middle ages. I need to use Story of the World for my dd, but I need something much more for ds. HO level 2 is not quite enough, so I'm mixing it with some of level 3, the books from Sonlight Core 6-7, and Connecting with History. At some point I'm going to sit down and make a schedule, but it scares me even thinking about how much work this is going to be!

It's very old. I would rather not have to gloss over or have to spend time discussing imperialist language and outdated attitudes. I have an updated and re-updated version so if I get stuck I have an option of using it. But, I think there are better resources out there.

I do appreciate that the author of HO used such an easily available resource. And, I am sure I will use it on occasion.

If you look at it another way, this could be a really good thing for the logic stage. It's history of history and shows how changing world attitudes affect the presentation of facts.

We're following HO this year and have on our bookshelf as main references SOTW, HOM, a historical atlas, Kingfisher encyclopaedia, and then the era-specific books. History takes us a little longer this year but looking for the bias in the texts (and it's prominent in SOTW, too) helps him understand the way our culture has been shaped over time.