Menu

Are there fireflies/lightning bugs in Georgia?

The fireflies are out full force here in KS right now and it is possibly one of the most enchanting things in the world to me. We didn't have them where I grew up in TX and only a scattered few in Dallas.

We're moving to GA in a few weeks and these silly bugs are something I will really miss about this place!

The Augusta area. Anyone near there? I've been there a few times when dh was at school out there, but it's been about 6 years and we still don't have a house! :eek:

But if there are fireflies twinkling all over like fairy-land, it'll be alright.

I see them in north Georgia where I grew up all the time, but not so much in central Georgia where my grandmother still lives. Very few. But I still see them spraying the crops there and they still sprayed the streets as recently as when I was a kid, so... that could be a bigger factor than geography.

I wonder if it has to do with how cold the winters are? It was frigid here this year (in KS) and we have probably twice as many as we did last year. In N. TX we only had a few.

Hmmm...now I have to set the kids to exploring firefly life cycles....

I live in NW GA (sort of between Rome and Cartersville), and we have them here. I grew up in S. Central GA (between Dublin and Eastman), and we had tons back then. Someone posted on the other thread that there aren't any where she lives in Middle GA now; people are so free with pesticides there that it wouldn't surprise me if there are none there now. It makes me angry and sad.