Menu

MCT's Self-Evident Truths Series

I posted this on the regular K-8 curriculum board and got no responses, so I decided to try posting here:

Have you used this? Were you pleased? Is this useful even if you don't use any of MCT's other books? Does the order in which you do the books in the series matter?

Thanks!

I used this last year with my 9th grader who was taking American history. They were excellent. We did the books in chronological order, which does matter because he refers to the documents discussed in the earlier books.

A big part of each book is a discussion of the grammar of the text being studied and that discussion is done the "MCT way," meaning that it is helpful to understand how he thinks about grammar (and poetics, to some extent) prior to using the books.

Thanks so much for your replies. They are very helpful. (Suzanne, I went to the other board and read your reply there as well.)

I am a little familiar with MCT's grammar (I've seen the samples), but I chose not to go that route. However, do you think not being more familiar with that part of the program would take away from the other useful aspects of the books in this series? I love the idea of the literary analysis for the speeches.

• 2 weeks later...

You can definitely use them without having used any of his other books, just get the Teacher's Guide. With some of his books, like Ceasar's English, we have the TG only, but for this series, it works better to have a student text and TG.

It's probably ideal to do them in order - more for the sake of chronology rather than references in the books - but no big deal if you don't, or if you use only one.

They're awesome. The documents are put in context, with information about the ideas, events, and great thinkers of the time that influenced them. Lots of discussion on the details of how the document is worded and organized (and why), lots of commentary on vocabulary, grammar, usage. It's easy to just read over some parts, and discuss other parts in-depth.