Menu

I did it! I wrote an entire website!

A homeschool group liked my style of writing and asked me to create a website for them.

http://www.stuttgarthomeschoolers.org

It isn't any grandly coded thing - just made on iWeb - but I am SO proud of myself! I've never done anything like this. What I'm most proud of is that I stuck with the project, even though most all of it was blechy data entry and I have the attention span of a gnat.

I wanted to announce it here because I got so many of the curriculum ideas from the WTM fora. I really hope that it will help people.

Now I want to learn how to make a *real* website!

a

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Yea Asta! I will say to be careful what you wish for. My dh has his job/career for which he earned a BA in 1979. Also, about 20 years ago he returned to college and has for the last 15 years enjoyed his at-home business of developing websites.....from conception, writing, developing, coding, maintaining...the whole shabang! ;)

It was grueling with all the loooooooong hours and nights he spent on the pc.

But, if that's your goal, go for it! I know you'll do it well, A.

Thanks, guys!

The funniest part was, when writing in curriculum recommendations, I kept trying to think "what do NON wtm people use?"

By the time it was done, I looked at it and thought "well, I hope they want to be classical homeschoolers..."

a

Were the curricula ideas yours, or did they provide them? Are you going to include Right Start math in the mathematics section (I think it's worth a mention), or the Peace Hill Press offerings in the Writing and Grammar section (I know you have a Peace Hill Press mention in the Comprehensive Curricula section)?

It looks great!

I love my website software and my web host, they are both reasonably priced and helpful. The website software is cheap and requires no coding experience but is powerful. I use Freeway Express as software and Hosting Matters for my web host.

It only took me a few weeks to set up my new page, I now have a page at 40L.org as well as thephonicspage.org.

Were the curricula ideas yours, or did they provide them? Are you going to include Right Start math in the mathematics section (I think it's worth a mention), or the Peace Hill Press offerings in the Writing and Grammar section (I know you have a Peace Hill Press mention in the Comprehensive Curricula section)?

It was up to me to gather a variety of curricula.

It's funny that you mention PHP for the writing section - it WAS in there, but the link did something wonky in the software and made the entire page a hotlink for Peace Hill Press. I tried and tried to fix it but finally got so frustrated, I just deleted it and left the one on the other page.

I honestly didn't know about Right Start. I'll put it in my book for when the first revision is done.

a

It looks great!

I love my website software and my web host, they are both reasonably priced and helpful. The website software is cheap and requires no coding experience but is powerful. I use Freeway Express as software and Hosting Matters for my web host.

It only took me a few weeks to set up my new page, I now have a page at 40L.org as well as thephonicspage.org.

Thank you for this info!

a

Thank you for this info!

a

You're welcome!

I actually like Freeway Express better than iWeb. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it is very powerful.

They both also have good support areas and when those fail, both answer e-mails, even stupid e-mails from clueless people. (I only send those when my husband is deployed. When he is home, he can figure out and fix any problems I cannot figure out on my own.)

You're welcome!

I actually like Freeway Express better than iWeb. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it is very powerful.

They both also have good support areas and when those fail, both answer e-mails, even stupid e-mails from clueless people. (I only send those when my husband is deployed. When he is home, he can figure out and fix any problems I cannot figure out on my own.)

That would be good, because it will eventually need to be taken over by someone in the group (eg: not me fixing it), and it is a military community, so there is turn-over. I mean, the name is "Military Associated Stuttgart Homeschoolers", so moving kind of comes with the territory...

a

It was up to me to gather a variety of curricula.

It's funny that you mention PHP for the writing section - it WAS in there, but the link did something wonky in the software and made the entire page a hotlink for Peace Hill Press. I tried and tried to fix it but finally got so frustrated, I just deleted it and left the one on the other page.

I honestly didn't know about Right Start. I'll put it in my book for when the first revision is done.

a

Great site - beautiful job!!!

I liked Wendy's find x in mathematics - nice touch! :)