Menu

s/o rigorous studies: personality types of Draconian Homeschoolers?

I had to retake the test...it just didn't fit well. Second time, INTP.

I've never found a better fit. It's not Draconian..but far from negligent:

Your type is: intp —The “Love of Learning” Mother

“I keep the encyclopedia in the kitchen so we can look up things together while we eat.”

• Intellectually curious and patient, the INTP mother relishes those times with a child when they are learning something interesting together. Whether they’re at the zoo or computer terminal, she sparks to answering his or her “whys” with in-depth responses or new knowledge.The INTP mother is also objective and introspective. She listens to and discusses children’s ideas and questions as she would those of a peer, fostering self-esteem and confidence. Open and non-directive, she allows children the freedom to do for themselves and quietly encourages them to believe they can do it. Independence, autonomy, intellectual development, and self-reliance are probably the INTP’s highest priorities for her children. An avid reader, she naturally imparts an appreciation and love of reading as well.
  • Drawn to all types of learning, the INTP may also value her mothering experience for all the new insights about life it provides her.

Edited by Geo

I had to retake the test...it just didn't fit well. Second time, INTP.

I've never found a better fit. It's not Draconian..but far from negligent:

Your type is: intp —The “Love of Learning†Mother

“I keep the encyclopedia in the kitchen so we can look up things together while we eat.â€

• Intellectually curious and patient, the INTP mother relishes those times with a child when they are learning something interesting together. Whether they’re at the zoo or computer terminal, she sparks to answering his or her “whys†with in-depth responses or new knowledge.The INTP mother is also objective and introspective. She listens to and discusses children’s ideas and questions as she would those of a peer, fostering self-esteem and confidence. Open and non-directive, she allows children the freedom to do for themselves and quietly encourages them to believe they can do it. Independence, autonomy, intellectual development, and self-reliance are probably the INTP’s highest priorities for her children. An avid reader, she naturally imparts an appreciation and love of reading as well.

• Drawn to all types of learning, the INTP may also value her mothering experience for all the new insights about life it provides her.

I apparently didn't take that test well either because the result it gave me wasn't me at all. What I thought was interesting though is that our type is either the same or at least, very close and I'm wondering if that's related somehow. :tongue_smilie:

Between the mothering test and another I took I'm either an INTP or an ISTP. The basic description on the other site was the same for both and the description on the mothering test for both resonate with me but, after reading the long version of both about strengths and weaknesses, leave me thinking I may fall on the side of S (the description of my relationship to domestic duties is what pushed me over).

What is odd to me is that I am very directive BUT not comfortable with it at all. I've thought that it's how I have to be but I hate being in that role and my happy days are when I'm not. I need to figure out what is causing my confusion and conflict.

I apparently didn't take that test well either because the result it gave me wasn't me at all. What I thought was interesting though is that our type is either the same or at least, very close and I'm wondering if that's related somehow. :tongue_smilie:

Between the mothering test and another I took I'm either an INTP or an ISTP. The basic description on the other site was the same for both and the description on the mothering test for both resonate with me but, after reading the long version of both about strengths and weaknesses, leave me thinking I may fall on the side of S (the description of my relationship to domestic duties is what pushed me over).

What is odd to me is that I am very directive BUT not comfortable with it at all. I've thought that it's how I have to be but I hate being in that role and my happy days are when I'm not. I need to figure out what is causing my confusion and conflict.

I initially tested INFP, because I truly want everyone to want the model.

The "T" in me doesn't understand why they wouldn't! Unfortunately, I have to be directive about it, which creates anxiety for me in that area of my life.

Edited by Geo

I'm INTJ, as is my hubby. He's certainly more Draconian while I am just rigorous.

ETA: Wikipedia has a chart with a breakdown of the percent of the population with different types here. They also say that INTJs are one of the rarest types. It makes sense that we would choose homeschooling given their description: "INTJs are prepared to lead if no one else seems up to the task, or if they see a major weakness in the current leadership [Public School?]. They tend to be pragmatic, logical, and creative. They have a low tolerance for spin or rampant emotionalism. They are not generally susceptible to catchphrases and do not recognize authority based on tradition, rank, or title."

Also: "INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake ... INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability"

Edited by MeaganS

So which quiz do you recommend?

Thanks,

Joan

They have an expanded quiz, which I just took. Both their quick quiz and the expanded one say that I am INFP, which is what I used to be as a teen. I took another test in 2007 which said INFJ. The INFJ description on their site does sound more like me than the INFP, but it's likely that I am very much in the middle of those two.

Edited to say:

Actually, I really think I am INFJ, as I reread what I had saved from my research before. That's why I don't necessarily think their test is accurate. Here's another choice: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Edited by cathmom

ENTJ here. Every group of introverts needs an extrovert to get the ball rolling. :D

I think I was ENTJ...

ENTJ here. This is an interesting question!

Another ENTJ - which now explains why my children never have any free time. Classical education? Yes. Real world experiences? Yes. I want it all!

ENTJ and I am pretty sure I am a Draconian homeschooler or "the meanest mom ever". Take your pick, I am fine with either.

ENTJ meanies unite!

Bill (ENTJ :D)

And I know we can add Mrs Mungo.

Honestly, I don't do the MB's short tests as I don't think that they are always accurate for people. Far more helpful for me was reading about the different cores (NF, NT, SJ, SP) and figuring out which one I fit best. Then from there deciding: Am I Introverted or Extroverted? And finally, am I 'P' or 'J' (open ended, free form, doesn't do well with schedules long-term, wants to be in the moment, spontaneous, and go-with-the-flow (P) vs. J - schedule, structure, rules/standards, feels better with decisions made and a plan in place).

Here's a good website to read about each core: http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/overview_temperaments.asp

There's just no confusing an NF vs. an NT or an SP from an SJ, for example, once you know what each core is like :).

So, would I really mess up the discussion if I spoke of an entirely different personality guide call True Colors. The colors in order for me are Green, Gold, Orange, Blue. I love this way of understanding people because it is fairly straight forward and easy to get a sense of each color's attributes. It has helped me understand (of course, up to a point) what motivates folks.

I took the MB back in 1988 (soooo 23 years ago :glare:) and I was an E/INFJ. I am a totally different person than I was then so I don't expect to have the same outcome. This one resonated with me though.

Your type is: intp —The “Love of Learning†Mother

“I keep the encyclopedia in the kitchen so we can look up things together while we eat.â€

• Intellectually curious and patient, the INTP mother relishes those times with a child when they are learning something interesting together. Whether they’re at the zoo or computer terminal, she sparks to answering his or her “whys†with in-depth responses or new knowledge.The INTP mother is also objective and introspective. She listens to and discusses children’s ideas and questions as she would those of a peer, fostering self-esteem and confidence. Open and non-directive, she allows children the freedom to do for themselves and quietly encourages them to believe they can do it. Independence, autonomy, intellectual development, and self-reliance are probably the INTP’s highest priorities for her children. An avid reader, she naturally imparts an appreciation and love of reading as well.

Ummm, maybe not the patient part all the time.

I do have high expectations for/of my kids, and I have no problem telling them (or anyone else for that matter :D) what to do. My kids are wonderful average kids who are compliant. They might call me "draconian" at times, esp. when their friends' workload seems so much lighter and less challenging.

They have an expanded quiz, which I just took. Both their quick quiz and the expanded one say that I am INFP, which is what I used to be as a teen. I took another test in 2007 which said INFJ. The INFJ description on their site does sound more like me than the INFP, but it's likely that I am very much in the middle of those two.

Edited to say:

Actually, I really think I am INFJ, as I reread what I had saved from my research before. That's why I don't necessarily think their test is accurate. Here's another choice: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Thank you so much! So I'm an INFJ also using your humanmetrics quiz. I was wondering if it was accurate because some of the questions seemed so questionable in their clarity. But the description on the other site recommended by Sevilla fits me quite well. Have to look at the other links...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Another INFJ reporting in here (VERY much so!). Learning about Myers-Briggs types helped me tremendously when I was a new mother and again when I started homeschooling. I see myself as a collaborator more than a teacher of my kids. I want my children to buy into the reasons behind their educations, and I want them to play nicely and get along... I can't stand conflict.:) And I love researching and thinking about all the possibilities...

Your post made me think of giving this to quiz to my children as well...thanks!

Joan

Your post made me think of giving this to quiz to my children as well...thanks!

Joan

Yes, I had my two oldest at home take it on Saturday. Interestingly, one is ENFJ, the same personality as me except extraverted (which I knew she would be), and the other was INTJ, again only one letter off from mine. I'm not as sure about hers. I wonder if it's less accurate the younger you go. Some of the things in her description are dead-on, some not so much, although she did love being called a "Mastermind."

I think it's really interesting that each is only one letter removed from mine, but they are different letters, so they are 2 off from each other.

I also had my dh take it. We took it before we were married and were complete opposites - I was INFP and he was ESTJ, which freaked him out until the counselor told him that being opposites was good because we would balance each other. 20 years later, I am INFJ and he is ISFJ. We have changed to where we have 3 letters in common!

I'm either ISFJ or ISTJ depending on the test. The quote about ISTJ on the Mother Styles website cracked me up, "I have a serious love affair with to-do lists. I could sit for hours reading, organizing, and rearranging my weekly calendar." :lol: Yes! That's definitely me.

I haven't taken the test yet but that sure sounds like me, :D

ENTP here.

Maybe that's why I usually don't feel as if I fit in on the High School board. I'm more of a Follow-Your-Bliss type. I believe in guiding a child to self-education starting in the early Logic stage. I think interests are as important as requirements. Though our methods have produced excellent students and well-rounded young adults, you J's can still give me panic attacks if I spend too much time here.

Barb

So I took the "mom" test (INFJ) and the Humanmetrics test (INTP). I must assume that the difference between the two really is a function of how I relate to being a mom (you know - feeling vs. thinking). Then again, the strength of each preferences were "slight" to "moderate". Hmmm, maybe I'm just wishy-washy.:glare:

I also had my dh take it. We took it before we were married and were complete opposites - I was INFP and he was ESTJ, which freaked him out until the counselor told him that being opposites was good because we would balance each other. 20 years later, I am INFJ and he is ISFJ. We have changed to where we have 3 letters in common!

I've now had my husband take it too.

This is also helpful because the discussions of the different types of personalities paint each one in its best light. So if there are some problematic aspects of a person's character, the sites that thoroughly discuss each one tend to show how a certain character trait is positive, which can be helpful if I am only seeing the negative aspect of a certain trait...

Joan

I've now had my husband take it too.

This is also helpful because the discussions of the different types of personalities paint each one in its best light. So if there are some problematic aspects of a person's character, the sites that thoroughly discuss each one tend to show how a certain character trait is positive, which can be helpful if I am only seeing the negative aspect of a certain trait...

Joan

good point! :001_smile:

ENTJ here. I think I have lost some of my J as we have added children but it's usually temporary and comes back after each one lol. I am fairly rigorous, at least compared to people I know IRL. I would say I am fairly draconian in my parenting, just need to get my feet under me after having twins to achieve thus in the schooling. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Another ENTJ - which now explains why my children never have any free time. Classical education? Yes. Real world experiences? Yes. I want it all!

LOL! ENTJ here too. And we are always out doing stuff - AFTER school is finished!