Menu

Need 'older' than Hakim, 'lighter' than Johnson for 9th gr. US History

Last year, my high schoolers read Hakim vols 1-5 for our US History 1600-1850, BUT, they did find the tone patronizing. I love her narrative style and interesting bits and pieces of primary source material, etc. . . .but need to move away from her 'so this is how it is' tone as though she is talking to children . . . which she is. :)

My 10th-12 gr. will read Johnson's History of the American People, but that will be too stiff for my group of 9th graders. Hakim would be okay as a supplement for them, but what would make a interesting and thorough spine for that group? Every traditional text I skim looks . . . boring. Lifeless. Looked at Digital History on line but it has typos, etc., that make me wonder about the source - and the source is not credited! hmm.

They WILL read a lot of good lit this year. But we need a decent spine - reading level between Hakim and Johnson!

Oh, and we are studying 1850 - present, Modern Era. Wide open to ideas.

Thanks!

ETA: Sorry, I just realized that my thread title could be read as sounding snarky. Not intended that way at. all. :)

You'll find quite a bit of good material there.

You might find it convenient to use the second volume of Notgrass' Exploring America, and for 9th graders, I think the original documents book would be a wonderful resource. (American Voices)

Last year, my high schoolers read Hakim vols 1-5 for our US History 1600-1850, BUT, they did find the tone patronizing. I love her narrative style and interesting bits and pieces of primary source material, etc. . . .but need to move away from her 'so this is how it is' tone as though she is talking to children . . . which she is. :)

My 10th-12 gr. will read Johnson's History of the American People, but that will be too stiff for my group of 9th graders. Hakim would be okay as a supplement for them, but what would make a interesting and thorough spine for that group? Every traditional text I skim looks . . . boring. Lifeless. Looked at Digital History on line but it has typos, etc., that make me wonder about the source - and the source is not credited! hmm.

They WILL read a lot of good lit this year. But we need a decent spine - reading level between Hakim and Johnson!

Oh, and we are studying 1850 - present, Modern Era. Wide open to ideas.

Thanks!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

:bigear:

My ds tried a few volumes of Hakim last year, but would like something a bit different for 9th grade. We're doing Ancients and US simultaneously, so I'm interested to hear what resources there are for US, although we'd prefer something leaning toward secular.

AHA! I knew this existed somewhere...

Outline of U.S. History

A chronological look at how the United States took shape -- from its origins as an obscure set of colonies on the Atlantic coast a little more than 200 years ago into what one political analyst today calls "the first universal nation." This fully illustrated edition has been completely revised and updated by Alonzo L. Hamby, Distinguished Professor of History at Ohio University.

I have a similar book that was put out by USAID in the 1980s. The US State Department always has something like it in publication for educational/propaganda purposes (IME). Although, I must say, my old one is a GREAT condensed US history book. I had kid read the whole thing prior to taking his first ever standardized tests (since he'd never lived in America long enough to have any US history).

a

AHA! I knew this existed somewhere...

Outline of U.S. History

I have a similar book that was put out by USAID in the 1980s. The US State Department always has something like it in publication for educational/propaganda purposes (IME). Although, I must say, my old one is a GREAT condensed US history book. I had kid read the whole thing prior to taking his first ever standardized tests (since he'd never lived in America long enough to have any US history).

a

Thanks Asta. This looks like a good starting place.