Menu

So what is everyone doing for Bible work with their logic age students?

For rising 6th grade dd, we'll be doing the Positive Action for Christ Proverbs study. (Plus a lot of Church History stuff in Mystery of History Middle Ages/Ren/Ref so history/lit should be great.)

Of course a lot of what we do is tied into our Christianity (God's World News, etc.) but what is everyone doing specifically for Bible study?

I'd love to hear ideas of what you're doing. I want the logic stage years to be filled with lots of meaty Bible study.

We worked through "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds."

We did a bit of the Explorer's Bible Study, but not a whole lot. (1 book: "Psalms, Proverbs, and Job," I think.)

Ds is working through the AWANA books in pursuit of the Citation Award.

He also has his own personal Bible study daily.

Our Middle-School Sunday Bible Study at church was very meaty and doctrine-oriented. The high school group is not. So once ds hit 9th grade he began attending Sunday School with us and has been very happy.:001_smile:

We're reading through the Chronological Study Bible along w/ our study of the ancients. Ds usually comes home from SS w/ the droll summary, "I already knew that," so I considered it high praise when he repeated, "Wow," throughout our discussion. :D

My 8th grade son will be finishing his "read-through-the-Bible" plan that he started in 4th grade! I think he will finish in late January. He has been using Balancing the Sword (http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/021517/1308916291-40338 ...my son is using the hardback guide not software). This book has 3 to 4 questions on every chapter of the Bible, so after ds reads, he answers the questions in this guide. The book is beautiful with neat illustrations, and I hope it will always be a treasure for him to look through it and see the evidence of having read through the Bible as a child.

Since he will be in 8th grade, I'm also going to have him read/work through a couple of worldview books like How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig and Who is God?

My 5th grade son will be doing Bible according to the plans in HOD's Creation to Christ. I would like to start him on a Bible-reading plan someday, but I'm not sure he will be ready for it next year.

They both participate in Bible Drill which requires a lot of memory work.

My 8th grade son will be finishing his "read-through-the-Bible" plan that he started in 4th grade! I think he will finish in late January. He has been using Balancing the Sword (http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/021517/1308916291-40338 ...my son is using the hardback guide not software). This book has 3 to 4 questions on every chapter of the Bible, so after ds reads, he answers the questions in this guide. The book is beautiful with neat illustrations, and I hope it will always be a treasure for him to look through it and see the evidence of having read through the Bible as a child..

This looks like a phenomenal resource for Bible Study. It is put out by Vision Forum. Does anyone know how strongly their philosophy comes through in these books?

Thanks,

We used Memoria Press Christian Studies during fifth and sixth grades. This last year, during seventh, I put together a bunch of missionary biographies, prayer journals, and study Bible reading, as well as some videos on different religions, Biblical archaeology, etc.

Next year, in eighth grade, my son will be reading through DK's Religions of the World; a book about Bible Prophecy; a book about the Prayer of Jabez (a 30 day prayer journal); a book entitled World Faiths: Judaism; Usborne World Religions; How the Bible Spread; At Home Devotionals.

This looks like a phenomenal resource for Bible Study. It is put out by Vision Forum. Does anyone know how strongly their philosophy comes through in these books?

Hmmm...are you sure that it is a Vision Forum product? They may sell it...just like Rainbow Resource or Timberdoodle or CBD.

A great place to read about the author's take on Balancing the Sword is his website. Here is a link to the FAQ page:

http://www.balancingthesword.com/Books/FAQ_Books.asp

Two particular quotes found at this link catch my eye.

"Balancing the Sword is a study of what the Text says, not a commentary on what the Bible means".

and

"The questions are designed to develop a comprehensive working knowledge of what the Bible says. The deeper questions about meaning are left for the user's discovery".

Honestly, I haven't found any evidence of a particular theology or ideology being pushed in Balancing the Sword. The only *slight* problem that we have had with the program is that the questions are based on the KJV. Every once in a while they might be difficult to answer because ds uses a different translation. But this does not occur often, and as he has gotten older, he has learned how to make the "leap" between translations on his own.

Here is an old post where I sang the praises of this program. As you can see, it is several years later, and I still love it!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=883673&postcount=14

HTH!

Jetta

Happy, I know your dd is older than my beginning logic stage son (to be in 5th this year), but here's my plans anyhow for anyone who cares to read it. :tongue_smilie: Would you mind sharing what you used for Ancients this past year?

For now until Sept., and then starting again in late spring '12:

Abeka Salvation series (finish this summer)

Answers for Kids books (finish this summer)

Apologia Who Is God series (start... finish next summer)

Westminster Shorter Catechism for Kids put to music by Holly Dutton + further explanations from BJU Catechism Bible Truths Handbook (start now, cont. review until restarting in spring)

Hidden Treasure, a Proverbs study (on the shelf waiting for us)

An Honorable Boy (on the shelf waiting for us)

For the school year:

Memoria Press Christian Studies I will be our daily Bible curriculum

Biblical history correlating chronologically with our regular history studies (I consider this part of history class)

CC Foundations has Bible memory work

Awanas

Hmmm...are you sure that it is a Vision Forum product? They may sell it...just like Rainbow Resource or Timberdoodle or CBD.

A great place to read about the author's take on Balancing the Sword is his website. Here is a link to the FAQ page:

http://www.balancingthesword.com/Books/FAQ_Books.asp

Two particular quotes found at this link catch my eye.

"Balancing the Sword is a study of what the Text says, not a commentary on what the Bible means".

and

"The questions are designed to develop a comprehensive working knowledge of what the Bible says. The deeper questions about meaning are left for the user's discovery".

Honestly, I haven't found any evidence of a particular theology or ideology being pushed in Balancing the Sword. The only *slight* problem that we have had with the program is that the questions are based on the KJV. Every once in a while they might be difficult to answer because ds uses a different translation. But this does not occur often, and as he has gotten older, he has learned how to make the "leap" between translations on his own.

Here is an old post where I sang the praises of this program. As you can see, it is several years later, and I still love it!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=883673&postcount=14

HTH!

Jetta

Perhaps "put out" was the wrong choice of words. Amazon has Vision Forum listed as the publisher of Balancing the Sword. That is where I got my information and what motivated me to ask the question. I am pleased to hear that it just sticks closely to the text of the Bible without advocating one particular doctrine or philosophy.

Thanks for the links. I will read them when I have a little more time.

My 8th grade son will be finishing his "read-through-the-Bible" plan that he started in 4th grade! I think he will finish in late January. He has been using Balancing the Sword (http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/021517/1308916291-40338 ...my son is using the hardback guide not software). This book has 3 to 4 questions on every chapter of the Bible, so after ds reads, he answers the questions in this guide. The book is beautiful with neat illustrations, and I hope it will always be a treasure for him to look through it and see the evidence of having read through the Bible as a child.

I think this program looks great, but I was concerned about the cost. Today I found it on Christianbook.com for $24.49! I can't wait for it to come.

the questions are based on the KJV.

Thank you so much for this information! I will have to have a look at it. I am a KJV only gal and ALL the cute, age appropriate Bible studies are a different translation. :glare: Combine that with the fact that dd has wanted to read through the Bible, well, this might be the thing for her!

Sounds Interesting.

May I ask which one you used or is only one Chronological Study Bible available?

I'm using this one. It includes info about other cultures at similar times or their ideas about religion, etc. Since we're using it as part of our ancient history, I love the way it helps bring these things together. :001_smile:

I'm using this one. It includes info about other cultures at similar times or their ideas about religion, etc. Since we're using it as part of our ancient history, I love the way it helps bring these things together. :001_smile:

This is a beautiful Bible. I sadly have decided not to use it though. I have decided to stick with a new earth timeline for history.

I think this program looks great, but I was concerned about the cost. Today I found it on Christianbook.com for $24.49! I can't wait for it to come.

What a price reduction! Wow! I have been looking at this curriculum for months and months, but kept putting it off because of the steep price. I think the popularity of this curriculum is about to explode.

What a price reduction! Wow! I have been looking at this curriculum for months and months, but kept putting it off because of the steep price. I think the popularity of this curriculum is about to explode.

I actually got our copy of Balancing the Sword for a reduced price from Timberdoodle because supposedly it was "damaged". Just one little corner was slightly bent; I was very pleased with that find! But this offer from CBD is truly amazing!

Having said that, if you use the book over the course of several years, you will find the original price is not so bad. For example, it is taking my son over 4 years to work through just Volume 1, so the cost would be under $15 a year, and we still have an unused Volume 2 for son #2. :) That would bring the price down to around $7 a year...for a hardback, beautiful treasure of my sons' first Bible-read-throughs. What does that credit card company say...PRICELESS? Just a perspective...

My oldest will be reading through the Bible, probably starting on Exodus and the Gospel of John. She will also be reading through 3 books during the year as a supplement-- More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell, Through the Gates of Splendour by Elizabeth Elliott and Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper.