Menu

Would you take a quick look & tell me if this is too much?

Faline

My rising 5th grader's schedule:

Rod & Staff English

CLE Reading

Apples spelling

Mind Benders (he is doing this over vacation)

Can-Do Cursive & Queen's Pictures in Cursive (4x week)

Meaningful Composition

Queen's Learning How to Learn

Scoring High test prep

Typing

Spanish (with our family)

Science/history/geography/Bible done with everyone together

I want to add in copywork/dictation?

He will also be doing a bit of notebooking which will involve finding info in the encyclopedia, etc. a skill I wanted to focus on this year. This looks like a lot for him! (not an easy learner)

Math?

I wouldn't bother with the copywork--R&S should be plenty.

By dictation you mean dictating back to you what he has learned in a given subject? I would just advise allowing dictation to take many forms, like oral-on-the-spot-quickly, or a more formal oral report, or writing a paragraph, drawing a cartoon, etc.

My rising 5th grader's schedule:

Rod & Staff English

CLE Reading

Apples spelling

Mind Benders (he is doing this over vacation)

Can-Do Cursive & Queen's Pictures in Cursive (4x week)

Meaningful Composition

Queen's Learning How to Learn

Scoring High test prep

Typing

Spanish (with our family)

Science/history/geography/Bible done with everyone together

I want to add in copywork/dictation?

He will also be doing a bit of notebooking which will involve finding info in the encyclopedia, etc. a skill I wanted to focus on this year. This looks like a lot for him! (not an easy learner)

Wow.....that's very language arts heavy and appears to have multiple duplications. I would try to incorporate some of that across subjects or drop it all together.

I am sure it was simply an oversight, but math is missing from your list.

Well...I am definately keeping CLE Reading...it's just so good. It was one of the best things I did for him this year. He reads a lot and will also read many more history/science related books throughout the year.

The cursive programs are for cursive practice and would only be a sentence a day. I know I could use that for copywork, but he is still not comfortable with cursive and is focusing on forming the letters. Maybe I should just drop cursive all together? (He prefers printing)

The test prep would be only done in the last quarter, before the testing. I feel he is one who needs the prep, or he would be clueless to the procedures of the testing.

I also don't make him do every problem in R&S English and it really doesn't take him that long to do a lesson (unless it is a writing assignment). He also writes directly in the student book. Sorry, I should have clarified that right away.

Thanks everyone for your input! It has been helpful.:)

Wow.....that's very language arts heavy and appears to have multiple duplications. I would try to incorporate some of that across subjects or drop it all together.

I am sure it was simply an oversight, but math is missing from your list.

I agree. I'm a Rod and Staff English user as well, and have to this point not used a separate composition curriculum. I feel like all of my kids so far have gotten enough writing from Rod and Staff and their spelling curriculum (weekly journal-type assignment). I've always wondered why some think that elementary students need to do SO much writing during the grammar years, when the emphasis should be on fact-gathering and learning basics. Rhetoric is coming...I'll save a lot of writing instruction until then.