Menu

Clearest explanations: Lial's or Foerster's???

Have you been able to view either? I was able to get both through inter-library loan. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. We used Foerster's. Here's my review:

We used Foerster’s Algebra in 8th grade after completing MUS Algebra (easy) and LoF Algebra (challenging). With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had done something different for 7th grade, perhaps MUS Algebra and Patty Paper Geometry. I was able to obtain the 1999 student book and 1999 teacher book used. I purchased the solutions manual new through Prentice Hall.

Pros:

• Clear, easy to understand explanations

• Explicit, step-by-step working through problems

• Sufficient practice and continual review of concepts

• Clear building upon and relationships between concepts

• Explicit demonstration of how to apply concepts to word problems

• Challenging, real-life word problems

• Solutions manual provides worked out solutions for every problem

• Solid preparation for SAT, sciences, college level math

• Amusing names in many word problems: Moe Delaune, Mary Thon, Fran Tick, etc.

• Math Without Borders DVDs available

Cons:

• None

Here is an example from Foerster’s Chapter 6 on the Quadratic Formula:

In Foerster's Chapter 6 they teach the quadratic formula. That's

x = [-b +- sqrt(b2-4ac)]/2a

(not easy to type here)

Within this chapter, they teach the vertical motion formula: d = rt - 5t(squared)

They have a section with 12 problems. The TM says to take 2 days to do these problems, but only do 3 problems a day. Here is the first one:

Football problem - A football is kicked into the air with an initial upward velocity of 25 meters per second (m/sec).

a. Calculate it's height after 2 seconds; 3 seconds

b. When will it be 20 meters above the ground?

c. Copy the diagram. Show the answers to part (a) in relationship to the 20 meters of part (b).

d. When will the ball hit the ground?

FWIW - I have a degree in math and ds is math-oriented.

I started using Lials with ds recently after recommendations on this board. I actually bought both Lials and Foersters used through Amazon because none were available in local libraries. I think I paid a total of $14 for both including shipping, so it was worth it to see them side-by-side.

The clarity of explanations is something I am very impressed with in the Lial textbook. I like the way it uses color to point out the important part of the problem and a short description of what is being done in each step is written to the side in that same color. There are also "caution" boxes which contain important warnings about typical mistakes that can be made with that type problem.

Both programs include lots of real life application problems. Lials has plenty of built-in review and you can easily pick and choose what needs to be done. It also has nice summary pages at the end of each chapter.

HTH,

PameLA in VA