Menu

earth science/astronomy the WTM way

After experiencing tons of frustration when it comes to science, I've decided (or so I thought) to do science this year the WTM way. So I'm looking through the resources for 6th grade earth science/astronomy. Since the main part of logic science the WTM way is experiments, I know that I need strong experiments. The problem: I either cannot find the resources listed in the current WTM OR the kit has been discontinued by the manufacturer. The only one I can find is the Wind Power: Renewable Energy Science Kit.

Since I do not have the time nor the energy to put together my own thing for science this year only to end up with cruddy/lame/too young experiments, I need some that are tried and true. I'm wanting to use this with a 6th grader and 7th grader.

So what I can replace the kits listed on p. 393 with?????

well, many people get the books "how the earth works' and 'how the universe works' off amazon. When I got them it was for pennies plus shipping.

Those books have a topic plus some easy to manage experiments you can do at home.

I also like to check out TOPS science. it is all hands on with a helping of keeping records etc. Remember, as I tell myself, in middle school we are using the content to teach method.

I guess I just don't want my middle schoolers to end up doing an experiment geared toward a 1st grader and say, "Well that was lame.":tongue_smilie:

I forgot about TOPS. I'll check them out too.

I don't think anyone wants that, no?

I am using CPO earth and space science next year but I have the 'how the earth/universe works' books in reserve. If the CPO books suggest an experiment I cannot manage, I know I can find something in those books that achieve the same ends.

I don't think anyone wants that, no?

I am using CPO earth and space science next year but I have the 'how the earth/universe works' books in reserve. If the CPO books suggest an experiment I cannot manage, I know I can find something in those books that achieve the same ends.

Does CPO have an Earth and Space book? The only one I've seen is CPO Earth (without the space -- which is included in CPO Physical Science, instead). Hmm, come to think about it, maybe this is the difference between the California editions and the others?

A friend and I have both signed up for the summer eCamp and we've planned to do science as a group. Depending on how it goes, I plan to continue with Supercharged Science throughout the school year. The fact that the WTM recommends a list of experiments as a spine for logic stage science may lead me to settle on Supercharged Science as an adequate alternative to the recommendations on the WTM.

Hobby Lobby carries many science kits, some that will work for earth and space science.

Delta Education's Science in a Nutshell kits are good: Rock Origins and Soil Studies, in particular, for earth science, but there are also others you can use regarding water, space, etc....

I used the How the _________ Works books for many of my own experiments. They may be OOP, but you can still find them used pretty readily....

MSNucleus.org's middle school earth and space science curriculum is good and includes a lot of activities/experiments. They also offer kits now to help you go through those, though you need not buy from them - you could supply your own rock kits....

I really like the look of Ring of Fire for earth science for middle grades and up, but it is pricey! It is a complete curriculum, sold in modules, and includes experiments.

Does CPO have an Earth and Space book? The only one I've seen is CPO Earth (without the space -- which is included in CPO Physical Science, instead). Hmm, come to think about it, maybe this is the difference between the California editions and the others?

I have the regular version of CPO (not CA) and Unit 6 has 3 chapters on Astronomy. I'm in the process of planning it out and trying to figure out what supplies I need to order for the labs. It's very meaty and lots of emphasis on the scientific method and there are lots of study skill supplements available to download free from their site.

Well, years ago Rainbow Resource sold them. Then I guess Delta refused to give them a break on the price, so they stopped. I also found some once on sale at a Tuesday Morning! But alas, never again....

Now, so far as I know, you can only get them directly from Delta, unless you can perhaps find some used that another homeschooler is selling, etc.

Here's the Delta website:

http://www.delta-education.com/siansplash.aspx?subID=5&menuID=17