Menu

Graduate schools for political science?

Kris in Wis

Anyone have experience with or knowledge of graduate schools? Ds is looking for a graduate school with a good reputation for poli. sci. He is aiming for a PhD and professorship.

He's just beginning his search, and has decided on two to apply to, but with his college GPA and achievements, we think he should dig a little deeper and try a couple more.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

If you could let me know some additional information I think I could help substantially with this:

What are his specific interests (subfield of political science)? What language skills/ regional knowledge does he possess? How are his math skills, and does he have any interest in statistically driven political science research? What is his GPA (major)/GRE breakdown look like? Does geography matter, or is the whole world in play?

This will help me narrow my advice.

If you could let me know some additional information I think I could help substantially with this:

What are his specific interests (subfield of political science)? What language skills/ regional knowledge does he possess? How are his math skills, and does he have any interest in statistically driven political science research? What is his GPA (major)/GRE breakdown look like? Does geography matter, or is the whole world in play?

This will help me narrow my advice.

Specific interests: Government, reforming the political system, history, the Constitution. He majored in both poli. sci. and philosophy, and is interested in the philosophical roots of government.

He wants to teach at the college level because he feels that arena is lacking a conservative voice.

Math skills are excellent, but he has no interest in the statistical area of poli. sci. He did some of that kind of research during an internship and found it not particularly to his liking.

He is scheduled to take the GRE in August. His college GPA in his major was 3.9.

The American system of government is his "specialty," so I don't think anything global would be of interest at this time.

Appreciate your advice!!

Based on your description of interests, he'll want a program with strengths in American Government and Political Theory. I would advice a major in American Government and a minor in Political Theory because there are many more jobs in American Government. American Political Development is likely the best concentration. It would be useful if he identified some more specific interests. He should also find a specific faculty member (or members) he interested in. Math will be needed though may not need to be a centerpiece of his research.

Obviously the stronger the school, the better the job prospects. So he should apply for a couple of top programs, but also have some backups-I would recommend applying to at least 6 schools, more if more good fits are identified.

At the high end, he should look at Yale (lots of people, Stephen Skowronek, David Mayhew), the University of Chicago, and UT Austin (Jeffery Tulis) but understand that these are reaches for anyone.

In DC, he should look at Georgetown (George W Carey), Catholic (Claes Ryn, Matthew Green), American (Daniel Dreisbach).

Baylor may be a good fit--they have done a good job at placing students for a new program. UVA, also.

Also, don't go unless he gets funding--a tuition waver is the minimum, and a ta/ra position is pretty common. Given the uncertainty (well under half who start a phd will finish, jobs are not certain at the end) it is not something you should take loans for. I have not reccomended a couple of schools for this reason.

I would also add, to the Phd programs, UCSD (Samuel Kernell)

A couple of other suggestions, for MA programs (I reccomend applying for a couple of MA programs (1 in case ideal schools don't work out, to improve competativness. 2) so more options are avalible, in the case that plans change over the 9 months between application )

The following are 1 year programs that would likely fit interests. In this case its not a terrible idea to pay, providing it is financially fesible (depending on your views of loans, etc, it might make economic sence to pay for a year of strong master's program)

University of Chicago Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS)

University of Cambridge MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History

Columbia, MAO in Political Science

Also, does he have any language skills? For the US it is not as crucial as for theory, but French would be quite helpful for early America. In any case, reading knowlege of at least one language is usually a requirment.