Menu

How does the WTM science approach compare/contrast from Elemental Science?

mhg

I think what everyone is missing is this:

Biology for the Grammar Stage is a complete 36 week set of plans for biology. It is designed to be used with 1st and 2nd graders ...

It is not designed for K. :)

Edit: But Intro on the other hand ... need more coffee :)

Edited by ChrissySC

Yes, but maybe she is looking at the intro to science set.

Either way it is up to you which you choose and if you believe your child is ready to use it.

To answer you question as best I can, I believe they are very close to each other.

ES grammar stage is pretty much exactly what WTM recommends for grades 1-4.

ES Intro is for K-1, and it uses More Mudpies to Magnets. WTM recommends Mudpies to Magnets for K if you want to do science, but it doesn't recommend formal science study at that age.

For K, I'd just do library books, nature walks, and maybe an occasional fun experiment or science kit. My DS2 tags along in science, but I don't worry if he's napping when we do science. He's still learning reading and math, so that's my focus. I'll add formal science to his day when he starts first grade work (ie, when he's reading, writing, and able to do basic math).

Yes, but maybe she is looking at the intro to science set.

Either way it is up to you which you choose and if you believe your child is ready to use it.

To answer you question as best I can, I believe they are very close to each other.

:iagree: The intro to science/early years follows the WTM as well. And for what it is worth, my ds4 will be tagging along for biology this year, he will do the readings, pictures, and experiments, just not the narrations.

For K, I'd just do library books, nature walks, and maybe an occasional fun experiment or science kit. My DS2 tags along in science, but I don't worry if he's napping when we do science. He's still learning reading and math, so that's my focus. I'll add formal science to his day when he starts first grade work (ie, when he's reading, writing, and able to do basic math).

Some of us can't handle this ;) This was my plan this past year, and well, it just didn't happen. I am one that needs a plan:tongue_smilie: I think it is fine we didn't do it, but I can certainly understand why some people want a plan, and the ES early science meets that imho...

and yes, for my ds next year, that is my plan as well. If he is up and around he can join, if not, no big deal...

Some of us can't handle this ;) This was my plan this past year, and well, it just didn't happen. I am one that needs a plan:tongue_smilie:

I need a plan too, or things don't get done. I actually planned our interest-led science last year. ;)

I'm just ok with not "doing science" in K if other skills (reading/writing/math) need to be worked on. I know it's harder to put it off with the first kid though. I also witnessed how little science is done in schools, so just talking about science topics as they came up in life was more science than was taught in school. :tongue_smilie:

ES Intro is very gentle, and I think it's fine for K. The experiments are simple, and nature walks are included. :) (we used it for part of first grade, but decided it was not meaty enough for DS1 at that point, and DS2 didn't understand it at all yet as he was just turned 4 and science hadn't "turned on" in his brain yet... that happened a few months ago, so now he could probably do great with it).