Menu

Jacobs Algebra and Jacobs Geometry Simultaneously?

My dd got not even halfway through Saxon Algebra 1 during her just completed Freshman year, and then hit a wall. She was doing very well, and then it all fell apart for her around Lesson 40. The positive from all this is that she finally has a good understanding of basic math and pre-algebra concepts.

I have her working this summer in Key To Algebra to give her some confidence, and to work her up to the kinds of problems that Saxon seems to just suddenly throw at the students. However, Key To is not a complete enough Algebra program. So, I've also started working with her in Jacobs, and I think (I hope) we've found the ticket for her. Since she could complete Jacobs Algebra by the end of the first semester of her Sophomore year, I could start her in Jacobs Geometry at that point, but I was thinking of combining Jacobs Algebra and Geometry from the start of the school year. She has trouble retaining math concepts, and needs regular repetition (thus the go at Saxon) to help her retain it. I'm as certain as I can be that she would forget all the Algebra she'd learned if she only does Geometry for a year between Algebra I and II.

Has anyone had their child complete Jacobs Geometry and Algebra simultaneously? Is it possible, or do they have to have a solid grasp of Algebra I prior to starting Jacobs Geometry?

O.K. Thanks, you guys. I'll be sure to get her half way through Jacobs Algebra 1 before starting in the Geometry book.

Since I posted, I've read on this board some criticisms of Jacobs Geometry. My neice is currently finishing up with Discoverying Geometry, but frankly, I'm so dismal at Geometry (my husband takes on Geometry teaching around here) that I haven't really looked at it. It seems to get good reviews around here, so I'll look at it too.

Whatever book I use, I'm liking the idea more and more of combining Algebra 1 and Geometry, but I'll be sure to wait until the half way point in Algebra 1.