Menu

Is it ok to stop....

stephanie

We have 5 lessons left in Saxon 3, and dh has medical tests this week that I was hoping to be with him at. This is our last week of official school. I've always been one to finish every lesson so I'm a bit worried to not do the last 5. Someone please tell me it's ok if we don't get them all done- that ds9 won't be hindered mathematically! I would say I'd keep it and do it in the summer, but I'm just afraid it won't get done. What would you do?

Oh Gosh, yes. The last few lessons (about the last 15 or so) are ridiculously ahead of the game. I LOVE Saxon, but come on, does my 8 year old really need to plot points in the coordinate plane?

Don't worry about it at all.

Exactly!!! I think it's ridiculous that Saxon seems to throw in a bunch of new stuff (totally unrelated to anything else previously studied) right at the end of the book! I've noticed that happening every year. My daughter's last lesson in 5/4 was on averaging and probability (and plotting probability). O.K., fine...nothing wrong with a fourth grader knowing that stuff, but will it really be retained over the summer with such a superficial treatment? Better not to waste time on it, IMO. (I wonder if the only reason stuff like this is included is so that the curriculum can claim to have covered it...I can think of no other reason.)

Do most of you stop doing math in the summer? We've always done math year round, because it seems my kids forget a lot and need review if we take even a few week break from math. We do Saxon and Singapore, so we just start one when we finish the other one.