Menu

What is your 7th grader doing for math?

This is a good question! LOL

Riley has always done Singapore Primary Math and she is almost done with 6A, but I just got her ITBS scores on Friday, and her math scores dropped quite a bit. (Her scores dropped overall, but math was the worst) I'm not sure if there is enough practice in Primary Math for the concepts to stick in her head.

Of course, she also ran head-long into puberty this school year and spent 2 hours a day on math crying and telling me how hard it was and how awful I am for making her do an exercise every single day, and a review over 2 days. I mean, y'all have seen the exercises in Primary Math. Really? :confused1:

So I am now searching for options - Horizons (Level 6 or Pre-Alg??) tops my list, but maybe something like CLE would work. I have BCM but I'm not sure if she is ready for something like that. She's a smart girl, but she's also a drama queen whose hormones have gone nuts.

So here I am... reading math threads for inspiration! :)

My second son just finished seventh grade and is midway through Lial's Introductory Algebra. I mix in the Key to Algebra books alongside the text. Previously, he went through Lial's Basic College Math after having completed the Singapore Primary Math series. This is the same route my oldest son took, at the same pace/age, and my third son is following in their footsteps. Seems to work well for us. Once my oldest completed Lial's Intro Algebra, he used Jacob's Geometry through an outside course. Again, this is the same plan I have in mind for Per, my rising 8th grader.

Hi, Colleen! Good to see you!! I just started training for my first (and second) marathons! I'm crazy enough to be attempting to do two in 6 days. Don't ask. I got sucked in to it.

Anyway, wanted to ask if there was a special way you combined Key to Algebra and Lial's. I'm wanting to do this exact thing for Austin this coming year but didn't know how to go about doing it. If you have a secret recipe, it sure would save me some time!

Hope you're doing well!

So I am now searching for options - Horizons (Level 6 or Pre-Alg??) tops my list

FWIW, Horizons Pre-Algebra seems to line up more in terms of the concepts covered with Singapore Discovering Math 1 than PM 6A/B. I actually went through the S&S of both programs the other day trying to match which DM chapters go with which Horizons ones.

Have you given the Horizons placement tests yet? Here is the one for Pre-Algebra. Here is the one for Level 6.

FWIW, Horizons Pre-Algebra seems to line up more in terms of the concepts covered with Singapore Discovering Math 1 than PM 6A/B. I actually went through the S&S of both programs the other day trying to match which DM chapters go with which Horizons ones.

Have you given the Horizons placement tests yet? Here is the one for Pre-Algebra. Here is the one for Level 6.

No, hadn't given the placement tests yet. Looking at those is a little intimidating. I hope she actually places into Level 6. :( There are a number of things that Primary Math didn't cover, at least not through 6A.

If she doesn't place into pre-alg, perhaps BCM would be a better choice?

I was thinking more that she would have to place into Level 5. She does not seem to have retained very much from Primary Math. Or she's just too lazy to really try? I guess I won't know until I give her the placement test.

I was thinking more that she would have to place into Level 5. She does not seem to have retained very much from Primary Math. Or she's just too lazy to really try? I guess I won't know until I give her the placement test.

That is what I was gathering based on your other post. Personally, I would not place a 12 yo w/o learning disabilities in any 5th/6th grade math program. I think BCM would be a better choice. First, there is no stigma to using the book. Secondly, it is designed to review all elementary math concepts.

That is what I was gathering based on your other post. Personally, I would not place a 12 yo w/o learning disabilities in any 5th/6th grade math program. I think BCM would be a better choice. First, there is no stigma to using the book. Secondly, it is designed to review all elementary math concepts.

:iagree:

It would certainly be a cheaper option since I already own it.

I'm going to search the boards as this may have already been discussed at length, but is there a certain method for using BCM that isn't overwhelming to the child. I attempted to use it 2 years ago with Austin and it was a huge bust (granted, much different child/much different situation - he never could get over the word 'college' being in the title so we had to drop it).

As I mentioned before, she balked at doing 6-8 problems a day in Primary Math. I knew that this was going to have to change this year because she needs to get ready for upper level maths. But I didn't realize I probably should have been requiring more all along. She never needed extra reinforcement before with PM. I've really dropped the ball, yet again. :(