Menu

Going from Saxon 5/4 to Teaching Textbooks 6...

Kisa in CA

Has anyone dones this? How did it go? My 4th grade son is finishing Saxon 5/4 and when he took the plalcement test for TT he placed in 6th grade. I've heard TT is a bit behind, so I am glad he tested above 5th and want to put him in 6th. However, I'm wondering if their is an unseen problem with that. Anyone done this? My son is not a math kid.

Thanks,

Kisa

I wouldn't see a real problem with this, especially if that is where he placed. TT is a bit behind. In fact, I didn't know this last summer, and placed my 6th grade dd in TT6 -- she's not a math kid, either, so even later I assumed she would be ok. However, she herself said at the end of this year that she doesn't want to continue with TT because she felt it did not prepare her well for her Iowa test. She has requested to return to Saxon. Now, unfortunately, she places in Saxon 7/6, which is what she would have done this past year :ack2: Now I feel like we've just wasted a year of math for her!

If you do put your ds in TT6, will you start him early in Algebra, or find something else to do for a year when that time comes?

We went from Sax 65 to TT 7 this past year. It was fine. Dd tested in TT 7 and that is where she started. The difficulty level ramped up as the year has gone on. It was an accurate placing. I am glad we skipped TT6 but she is being challenged in TT7. My 3rd grader (complete) tested in TT 5 and we will do that next year.

I hate terms like "behind". Okay, TT has a different scope and sequence. Ever looked at MUS??? I think if TT used letters or Greek alphabet rather than numbers, there would be no discussion about level. Do the program that works best for the child at the level the child needs to be.

Yes Holly, you're right. "Behind" was not the best choice in words :001_smile: I certainly *should* have pretested her before just placing her in what I thought would be the right level. Perhaps then our experience would have been better!

Has anyone dones this? How did it go? My 4th grade son is finishing Saxon 5/4 and when he took the plalcement test for TT he placed in 6th grade. I've heard TT is a bit behind, so I am glad he tested above 5th and want to put him in 6th. However, I'm wondering if their is an unseen problem with that. Anyone done this? My son is not a math kid.

Thanks,

Kisa

And it has been great! My ds feels so much better about math. And he is able to watch the lecture , do the problems, and then I have him put them in the computer. We did come from Saxon but from Calvert 4 in math. Anyway it has been great and I don't think TT is 'behind'.

My 4th grade dd just finished Saxon 5/4 and we're beginning TT Math 7 next week when it arrives. :001_smile: She took the test and got all the answers right for TT7, so I'm hoping it's not a huge leap. :001_huh:
My 5th grade dd did the TT pre-Algebra this year, because that's where she placed (she did about 1/2 of Saxon 76 before we switched to TT). It's been a great fit, and she loves it! So I'm hoping it will be the same with your dd!