Menu

HOD for a 7th grader question

If I decide to use HOD for my whole crew would it be too weird if I used RevialToRev in 7th grade and then used ResToRef with the extension pack for 8th grade? We have never covered American history and we just finished up through the 100 yrs war last year...I feel like we need to move on and then come back.

Does anyone who has used the program see a problem with this?

If I decide to use HOD for my whole crew would it be too weird if I used RevialToRev in 7th grade and then used ResToRef with the extension pack for 8th grade? We have never covered American history and we just finished up through the 100 yrs war last year...I feel like we need to move on and then come back.

Does anyone who has used the program see a problem with this?

Hi, Nicole! Have you posted your question on the HOD board or at the yahoo group? I know this question has come up several times in the past. Maybe a search for "going back" (as in going back to a lower level guide) would bring up some helpful threads. The guides do build upon one another, so I think they are pretty hesitant to recommend doing them out of order but it would depend on how much of the program you are intending to use. If you are depending on HOD's instruction, especially for writing and the other language arts skills, it may feel awkward to move back a guide (since the level of work required is progressive) but if you are planning to "tweak" it and have something else in place for Language Arts, then it probably wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be as "open and go" for you but it would be doable.

It's no problem to work in a guide that is a little below where a child places on the placement chart (that's what I'll be doing, using the Extensions and adding to Science and additional writing) but it's much harder to use a guide that requires skills that the child doesn't have, especially if you are relying on HOD's LA instruction.

If you are depending on HOD's instruction, especially for writing and the other language arts skills, it may feel awkward to move back a guide (since the level of work required is progressive) but if you are planning to "tweak" it and have something else in place for Language Arts, then it probably wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be as "open and go" for you but it would be doable.

Thanks Donna! I am not planning on using the LA part or math of HOD so that helps alot.