Menu

Mac Computers

Homeschoolers can get the educators discount at Apple. They are also adding in $100.00 of free apps. You can use more of something for better video streaming. Ask, I don't know much but this will bump it up for you. We love our macs!

One big difference between buying at an Apple store or online with Apple vs another retailer is that Apple gives discounts to Homeschoolers under their educational discount plan. It runs to about $100 on an iMac but varies by item (some items don't have a discount at all).

ETA: Starr and I must have been posting at the same time.

If you can wait until the end of August you can get amazing deals at the Mac store. Last year I got a fabulous canon printer for $50 ($100 off!), free Apple Care (extended warranty), huge discount on iwork software and a free ipod touch... all on top of the educator discount! :D

Do get a mac, you will not regret it!

Amazing customer service, helpful staff, easy easy easy to use, and no crashes. Fabulous!

~ Lisa

(proud owner of a newer imac and a 6 year old laptop still running strong, soon to be owner of iphones and ipad :D)

Don't over-think it. You will love it. There is simply no comparison between my mac and my pc. Liked the pc okay for a while until it would c--p out on me, then I would despise it, every time. My mac has made me 100% happy all the time.

:D never going back.

Just be sure you get AppleCare!!! Ask me how I know. Ugh. :glare:

Other than that, I truly do like my Mac more than any PC I've ever encountered. Mine hasn't been all I thought it would be cracked up to be, but I don't regret getting it and will buy Mac again in the future. I will, however, be purchasing AppleCare next time.

If you can wait until the end of August you can get amazing deals at the Mac store. Last year I got a fabulous canon printer for $50 ($100 off!), free Apple Care (extended warranty), huge discount on iwork software and a free ipod touch... all on top of the educator discount! :D

Amazing customer service, helpful staff, easy easy easy to use, and no crashes. Fabulous!

~ Lisa

(proud owner of a newer imac and a 6 year old laptop still running strong, soon to be owner of iphones and ipad :D)

Don't bother waiting...part of that, the free iPod touch, was last years Back To School Special (over in Sept 2010) and now there is a new Back To School special, started this week, goes through Sep 2011.

1. Get the Education discount which is $50-200 on a new Mac, depending on which Mac you get.

2. Free $100 credit in Mac App Store, where you can download software instead of getting it on disc. So the discount on the iWork software that was mentioned has expired, but you can get it free from the Mac App store with this credit!

3. $100 Printer Rebate (this has been going on for about a year now, so could end at any point), but you can get up to $100 rebate on eligible printers (if you choose a printer right around $100, of which there are a few, it would be free in the end!)

4. The first year of Applecare is always free, but the two additional years cost (those have NEVER been free!), but you can get the Education discount on the additional years as well. This is the manufacture warranty.

5. FREE SHIPPING!

Overall, about the best deal you will get on a Mac, unless you go with refurbished. In that case, the Education discount and the $100 Mac App store credit do not apply.....so it's is almost cheaper to go NEW at the moment!

Don't bother waiting...part of that, the free iPod touch, was last years Back To School Special (over in Sept 2010) and now there is a new Back To School special, started this week, goes through Sep 2011.

1. Get the Education discount which is $50-200 on a new Mac, depending on which Mac you get.

2. Free $100 credit in Mac App Store, where you can download software instead of getting it on disc. So the discount on the iWork software that was mentioned has expired, but you can get it free from the Mac App store with this credit!

3. $100 Printer Rebate (this has been going on for about a year now, so could end at any point), but you can get up to $100 rebate on eligible printers (if you choose a printer right around $100, of which there are a few, it would be free in the end!)

4. The first year of Applecare is always free, but the two additional years cost (those have NEVER been free!), but you can get the Education discount on the additional years as well. This is the manufacture warranty.

5. FREE SHIPPING!

Overall, about the best deal you will get on a Mac, unless you go with refurbished. In that case, the Education discount and the $100 Mac App store credit do not apply.....so it's is almost cheaper to go NEW at the moment!

I have been wondering what the Back to school deal would be. I did not know it started so early, thanks!

I bought a refurbished 27" IMac from the Mac store and I looooooooove it.

One reason I wanted a Mac is so that my dh did not have to spend hours and hours fixing my computer installing stuff, uninstalling stuff, defragging, rebooting, wiping clean and all of the various things he had to do regularly to our several PCs. I was tired of it. I wanted something more user friendly. I sold a musical instrument I wasnt using and asked dh- the PC computer expert- to help me buy a Mac. He wanted a bargain- he is a bargain hunter. All our PCs were put together cheaply from parts. We bought a Mac book pro 2nd hand from a dealer through ebay. It didnt work. We bought another one. It also didnt work. It was a sign to me- stop relying on dh and just spend the money on what I really, really want.

He did come around and helped me buy a fantastic refurbished IMac from the Apple store, online, and also I bought Applecare for 3 years.

Now dh actually can't help me. He tried the other day- my ITunes was doubling all my songs and he spent hours explaining how we needed to deal with it, wipe my Itunes from all the places it was on my Mac, reinstall the music from my old PC in one place. I said- no, thats too complicated, I am a MAC person now, there has to be an easier way. I spent a few minutes googling. There was- install a small app it erased all the doubles. Simple. Dh said to me- he is old school- I am the new computer expert of the family! I wonder how long till he gets a MAc.

Just do it. Get the most recent one you can afford. Get it from someone reputable. Get Applecare. You will love it.

5. FREE SHIPPING!

Is this special in the stores only or online too?

One big difference between buying at an Apple store or online with Apple vs another retailer is that Apple gives discounts to Homeschoolers under their educational discount plan. It runs to about $100 on an iMac but varies by item (some items don't have a discount at all).

ETA: Starr and I must have been posting at the same time.

Great to know!!! Thank you both!

If you can wait until the end of August you can get amazing deals at the Mac store. Last year I got a fabulous canon printer for $50 ($100 off!), free Apple Care (extended warranty), huge discount on iwork software and a free ipod touch... all on top of the educator discount!

~ Lisa

(proud owner of a newer imac and a 6 year old laptop still running strong, soon to be owner of iphones and ipad )

You made out like a bandit! :lol:

Just be sure you get AppleCare!!! Ask me how I know. Ugh. :glare:

Other than that, I truly do like my Mac more than any PC I've ever encountered. Mine hasn't been all I thought it would be cracked up to be, but I don't regret getting it and will buy Mac again in the future. I will, however, be purchasing AppleCare next time.

Also very good to know. I'll learn from your lesson...Thank you for sharing!

5. FREE SHIPPING!

WOOHOO! I was getting bummed about the thought of waiting now that I've gotten so excited! So I'm guessing none of this applies at Best Buy, huh? That's too bad, BB had 18 months SAC on purchases :tongue_smilie:

I spent a few minutes googling. There was- install a small app it erased all the doubles. Simple. Dh said to me- he is old school- I am the new computer expert of the family! I wonder how long till he gets a MAc.

Just do it. Get the most recent one you can afford. Get it from someone reputable. Get Applecare. You will love it.

How funny! They need a new slogan...what can Apple do for you? :lol:

Thank you all for the info. I probably would have never even looked without the initial suggestions in my other computer shopping thread and the help of the knowledgable salesman we encountered. Geez, I would have missed out!!

DH doesn't even use a computer, but I could see him drooling during the demonstration :lol:

For the education discount - do you just TELL them you homeschool or do I need some form of documentation?

Hey!!! I didn't get the discount for being a homeschooler and I even asked!!!:cursing:

The one time I asked in a store they told me no problem, guess I'd have spoken with the manager. When you look at the online store check K-12 education and then fill in homeschool as the name of the school. Two options then pop up for you to pick from-homeschool and homeschool related to CA somehow. Then the prices magically appear reduced.

If you had to provide something I guess I'd go with a membership card along the lines of HSLDA or membership in a state or local homeschool association. If you have a letter from the school district approving your annual filing with them that might be another option. Homeschool Buyers Coop has a free ID card generator here http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-id/

The back to school deal isn't all that great this year.

If you have a Discover card, go through the Discover.com website to get to Apple.com and you can save an additional 5%.

I am a former educator (in a public school) and they told me to just put in my last place of employment for the discount online.

Amazon.com sells Applecare for less than Apple.com. I bought my last Applecare through them.

Even with all of the above discounts, it is often less to buy from Amazon.com or refurbished.

The printer deal is almost always going on so that isn't an addtitional savings. If you look on the website you get $100 off a printer (or maybe it is a rebate.)

Dawn

It's official...I strongly, fervently, most certainly don't much like the Apple Store :w00t: It's crowded, loud, and hectic in that place. I even tried to go early to beat the crowd - ha! I still have a migraine.

OMGoodness, I'm showing my age, aren't I? Okay then, moving on...

So aside from the pace of the store, I'm thinking the IMac would be suitable. I like the idea of a laptop, but in comparing prices, needs, and practicality this seems like the best place to start

What do you have? Desktop? Laptop? Preference for 'family' use?

I can't wait! I can't wait! Do you recommend One-to-One for a newbie?

Thank you all for all the wonderful tips!

So on the printer rebate deal - what say ye? :)

I have the iMac and it is fantabulous. Some day I'll have enough money for a laptop, but for now this is great. The kids find it way more user-friendly than our last Dell and VAIO.

I like my Brother HL-2270DW for homeschool printables and my Canon for scanning & copying. I did not get a printer coupon, but the refurbished deal was so great, that even a homeschool/educator discount (dh is a professor) did not take off as much. And they come with the same packaging, warranty, and everything as new.

It's official...I strongly, fervently, most certainly don't much like the Apple Store :w00t: It's crowded, loud, and hectic in that place. I even tried to go early to beat the crowd - ha! I still have a migraine.

So aside from the pace of the store, I'm thinking the IMac would be suitable. I like the idea of a laptop, but in comparing prices, needs, and practicality this seems like the best place to start

Love my iMac with the big screen. If you don't need the portability of a laptop it's great.

If memory serves the printer deal is on the printers they sell. If those aren't what you want then it is a useless rebate. Know what you want in a printer before you try to use it.

We have an iMac that my kids use for school stuff and games. I have my Macbook Pro and I love it. I love the idea of a laptop. I can take it anywhere in the house and work. Since we switch to Mac, we have never had any problems. My husband is an IT guy and thinks it's the best out there. Before my Macbook Pro, I had a 13" Macbook and I have used that for 5 years and never had a problem. The only reason for buying a new one is because I want a bigger screen.

Macs are awesome! :D Get AppleCare. If memory serves me right I think you can even get AppleCare on refurbs, but I could be wrong.

I would play around with Macs a bit before buying the One-to-One, to see if I thought I'd need it before buying it. I believe it covers a lot of more basic stuff that I personally wouldn't need someone to teach me, but YMMV. If you're not at all used to Macs, I'm sure it would help you get up and running faster. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, just so you know.....and I found out the HARD WAY!!!!!!!!!! :glare: You can't just walk into an Apple store and get service, at least not during the summer.

You have to make an appointment!!!!!!!!!!!

UGH! I drove all the way up to that stupid mall and parked in the netherlands and walked to the store only to discover that there was no way on God's green earth I would ever speak to a human who worked there.

I just ordered our iMac last night. I even got tax free weekend credit online!

I ordered a refurbished 27" and got the $100 printer so it will be free. I went through DiscoverCard.com and used my Discover card so I will get 5% back on that.

There is no educator's discount with the refurbished, but the deal was great.

Dawn

We have an iMac & a 13' Macbook Pro. LOVE THEM. Went just this weekend to get one more laptop...got a PC to save $$ & TOOK IT BACK THE NEXT DAY. It just won't do. Windows is convoluted & the worst is all that trial software they load up those machines with! Blech! Anyway, we ended up choosing an 11" Macbook Air ($949) at Best Buy, but they were out, SOOO, they found us an open box buy for...$799 PLUS a free Apple TV ($99). So ultimately, it was $700 for the machine. That is a heck of a bargain & we couldn't be more thrilled! If you have a Best Buy check out their open box buy options. It can be a HUGE cost savings to you!

I love my Mac too! We bought it at Best Buy b/c we were able to use a bunch of our reward points to get Best Buy gift cards so there was little out of pocket cost. Something to think about if you have any credit/debit reward points floating around out there.:D

My first Mac...a Mac Book Pro is in the hands right now of a FedEx driver...coming sometime today to my house. I can't wait! I ordered by calling because the online wouldn't work for some reason. They were great! I got the educator's discount of $100 off, the $100 gift card, saved $20 on my RAM upgrade and $65 on AppleCare. I ordered during our tax free weekend and I felt that I got a great deal. I hope that I love Mac as much as people say. Now if someone would make a great lesson/grading program that would run in Mac...life would be good!

Did you order the free printer too?

How did you get $65 off of your AppleCare?

Dawn

My first Mac...a Mac Book Pro is in the hands right now of a FedEx driver...coming sometime today to my house. I can't wait! I ordered by calling because the online wouldn't work for some reason. They were great! I got the educator's discount of $100 off, the $100 gift card, saved $20 on my RAM upgrade and $65 on AppleCare. I ordered during our tax free weekend and I felt that I got a great deal. I hope that I love Mac as much as people say. Now if someone would make a great lesson/grading program that would run in Mac...life would be good!

We switched to Mac 6 years ago and will never go back to a PC again either. We have 2 iMacs, a Powerbook, a Macbook Pro, a Macbook Air and an array of ipods and iphones. I think we use the iMacs the most at this point; we have one in the schoolroom that the kids use daily. I use the iMac in my bedroom for everything, but I'll occasionally sit on the couch or in bed with my Macbook. It is so nice to have our calendars, contacts, etc sync up automatically between our computers and phones. We also use Facetime daily with my DH who is in Afghanistan (he brought his MacBook Air with him just for that reason).

I would go with an iMac for family use, unless you travel/are out of the house often and think you would make good use out something portable.

Also, I think you would find One-to-One very beneficial if you are just getting introduced to Macs. :)