Menu

RS4K Chem 2- accurate? rigorous for 8th grade?

I am looking at RS4K chemistry 2 for my 8th grade daughter. I read some reviews on Amazon and one mentioned that there are significant inaccuracies in this book. I hate to make my decision based off of one poor review, so I was wondering if anyone else that is chemistry minded could offer their opinion as to the accuracy of the material.

Also, do you feel the level of work is rigorous enough for an 8th grader? She just finished Apologia's General Science, but REALLY wants to study Chemistry instead of Physical Science next year. Any opinions welcome!

Tiffany

from the author is that the errors were typographical in nature, not inaccuracies in the content of the text. The errors have since been corrected; however, if you have a text with typographical errors RS4K will replace it for you free of charge.

I love the textbook for RS4K; however, it is only about a 10 week program, unless you supplement like crazy. I am using the text as a supplement to NOEO Chemistry and weaving it into the appropriate topics there.

The KOGS that go with it do flesh it out quite a bit, and those are tough, and interesting.

I can't speak to the experiments in RS4K, as I didn't get the experiment book-- we're doing the NOEO, Science Wiz, and Thames & Kosmos labs.

My DS is younger than yours, but you can definitely make that into an 8th grade program easily (and yes, the RS4K book is fine for that as well if your kid hasn't had chem yet; it will be good prep for an HS program). I used to do bench chemistry for a living, and I love the accuracy of the book and what it teaches.

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/2011/06/show-and-tell-time.html