Menu

7th/8th grade science comparable to Apologia?

Pam B

Is there a christian science curriculum that is comparable to Apologia? both my sons find Apologia very dry and boring. Is there something anyone can recommend? Preferably general science or zoology, but will gladly look into any suggestions.

Thanks

Have you looked at Rainbow Science @ beginningspublishing.com?

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/version2/rainbow.htm

This is a 2 year science program that covers physics, biology, chemistry, and one other - maybe physical science. Very independent work for the student. The lessons are short but thorough and written in an engaging way that appeals to this age group. My kids like it MUCH better than Apologia, which they feel is "too wordy and preachy".

It's pricey for the whole package, but totally worth it IMO, because EVERYTHING is included for all your science experiments. The only thing you need to provide is a gallon of distilled water.

Have you looked at Rainbow Science @ beginningspublishing.com?

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/version2/rainbow.htm

This is a 2 year science program that covers physics, biology, chemistry, and one other - maybe physical science. Very independent work for the student. The lessons are short but thorough and written in an engaging way that appeals to this age group. My kids like it MUCH better than Apologia, which they feel is "too wordy and preachy".

It's pricey for the whole package, but totally worth it IMO, because EVERYTHING is included for all your science experiments. The only thing you need to provide is a gallon of distilled water.

:iagree:

I am glad we are the only ones who didn't like Apologia. We are planning on doing The Rainbow the next two years, and I am very excited about it. Our co-op is going to be doing all the labs, so I only had to purchase the book and lab workbook for my son. I found it used for $30!!

We tried Rainbow a couple years ago. I didn't care for it that much. The kids weren't thrilled about it either.

Science Shepherd looks interesting.

Does anyone know of any independant, high interest curriculums? I would love for it to be living book-based. I am really needing something that they will be able to persue themselves, at their own pace. (I may be getting a job soon.)

Also, you might look into the 101 series, though I think it may be for high school. It still might be something you could use. I believe it is more a living book approach. It is a DVD series, but from what I understand, it comes with printable PDF's that give lots of living books to supplement the dvd's.

http://www.the101series.com/index.html

I typically have an aversion to BJU texts but have to agree that Life Science is really good, especially compared with Apologia 7th/8th grade texts and Christian Schools International.

Can you explain a little more? I also dont generally like bju texts but I have been reading a LOT of threads recommending the bju life science for middle schoolers. I would love to hear why, in your opinion, this text is superior to apologia :bigear: