Menu

VP Self Paced Online for LD student ?

I am wondering if anyone with LD students has tried the VP Online courses. I love history, but ds is lukewarm at best. I was wondering how much reading is involved in the online class (like during a lesson), how much reading is required outside of class, if they are expected to fill-in-the-blanks during the lesson, etc. Also, how interactive is the class really? Is it just a year-long computer game?

TIA for any information.

Shari -

From the samples I've seen, it's more like educational programming than a computer game. My son watched some of the samples last year and loved them. If it wasn't so expensive, I would use it for my kids' tv time.

I recently e-mailed VP, and they said there may be another 30-day trial being offerred this summer, though it might be late summer. They told me to keep checking their website.

Lisa

As far as the literature readings, those have reminders but are optional. I assume you're concerned about reading in the lessons themselves. We did MARR this year, and the stories are told by two friars and a gargoyle. He'll need to do a small amount of reading to answer the questions on the quizzes. The games come in as review and are very engaging. My dd felt the graphics, which were good at the start, got appreciably better and more interesting as the year went on. Overall she LOVED it, absolutely loved it, and she has started going back through the lessons again from the beginning, just because she enjoys them so much.

The lessons brought out a lot more than I would have for that time period, and the integrated memory work was terrific bonus.

Interactive? Totally!! I mean seriously, this is not Switched on Schoolhouse or something where you read and do boring stuff. (Sorry, that's a slam, but I'm trying to see if that's what you're comparing it to in your mind.) VP totally uses the technology to keep the student actively engaged. Every so often they'll have to click continue for the lesson to continue. The student can't just turn it out and fade out. Also, the memory work and review games are very engaging. My dd naturally started taking notes so she'd have an external memory source to help her quickly figure out the answers. No doubt your ds will figure this out too. Keep a little notebook there, convenient for jotting his notes, and they'll all be together at the end instead of scattered on 30 sheets of paper like ours. :)

That's terrific that they're doing the trial again this year. It was a great way for us to try it. My guess is they're timing it to make sure they can keep ahead of the people starting the 1850 to modern year, but that's just my guess.